Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DriveSmart 50
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DriveSmart 50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskey-mac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: DriveSmart 50 Reply with quote

hi all
I bought a Garmin SmartDrive 50 in February,as i am a chauffeur,however a few weeks ago when it was a hot humid day having arrived at my destination i turned the device off using the on/off button located at the back but leaving it mounted to the windscreen.When i was due to set off again around 1 hour later the device would not switch back on.
When i got home that evening i connected the device to mains wall socket and it switched back on and was working perfectly,
I emailed Garmin in the uk and the reply was that the devices operate within certain Temperature settings and that particular day was probably to hot for the device
When i was up Newcastle upon Tyne this week another hot day the same thing happened again so when i got home i did the same thing by plugging it in to the mains wall socket and it switched back on.
Surly these devices are supposed to be on the dashboard regardless of temperature so was wondering if there is a problem with this particular Device.
Has anyone else had the same problem ,and any advice or help would be appreciated as confidence in this machine is starting to be questioned.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the specs you'll see they have a temperature range in which they operate. If you leave it mounted in the car on a very hot day it's no different to leaving an animal in a car as temperatures inside can rise rapidly, as effectively your car is a greenhouse. Both will stop working

So no, nothing wrong with your device.

Edit: Just checked the manual for my device which quotes operating range of -20 to +55. Given that on a 20 degree day temps in cars can easily reach more than 55 degrees then it's not surprising your device wouldn't switch on.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good warning.

I wasn't aware they disabled themselves
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: