Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Refuses to start up.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Refuses to start up.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have pressed and held the on/off button a few times.

It has been connected to the mains all night and when I switched it on this morning, the Garmin logo showed, it beeped and the logo disappeared, never to return.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had you recently updated the maps etc before shutting it down by any chance? Your last post is the problem that I had a few months ago with another unit (my old one becomes my backup). I updated the maps, properly disconnected from Windows, switched it on to get a map fix which it did. Switched it off and the same problem occurred when I tried to switch it on. It doesn't matter how long you hold the buttons, charge it or try whether you try master resets or other means of accessing the system. It never gets past the splash screen and switches itself off.

As it was my backup and I intended upgrading anyway, I didn't bother to look into it further. You need to call Garmin but don't hold your breath about anyone knowing anything about it. My Garmin was a 1690 and this was at the end of last year.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
Had you recently updated the maps etc before shutting it down by any chance? Your last post is the problem that I had a few months ago with another unit (my old one becomes my backup). I updated the maps, properly disconnected from Windows, switched it on to get a map fix which it did. Switched it off and the same problem occurred when I tried to switch it on. It doesn't matter how long you hold the buttons, charge it or try whether you try master resets or other means of accessing the system. It never gets past the splash screen and switches itself off.

As it was my backup and I intended upgrading anyway, I didn't bother to look into it further. You need to call Garmin but don't hold your breath about anyone knowing anything about it. My Garmin was a 1690 and this was at the end of last year.

Yes, exactly that. In fact, there was so little HD space that the new map was too large for the remaining space so had to install an sd card. I have also removed that card and tried charging the unit and then switching it on without it but still nothing.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a waste of time. Spoke to "Chelsea" at the 'helpline' who said I could send it back but I would have to supply a proof of purchase which I no longer have. The e.mail she sent to me started

"I refer to your recent enquiry concerning the above.

I'm afraid it looks like we will need to book your Garmin device in for a replacement.
Garmin offers a 12 month manufacturer’s warranty, if your purchase was more than 12 months ago we can offer to replace your device for a fixed replacement cost of £63.20, the turnaround for this is up to 14 days from when we receive your device.

I can confirm that if the device is replaced with Garmin using our RMA Replacement system, then any mapping or subscriptions in your myGarmin account that you have purchased for the original device such as the Lifetime Map Update or Birdseye outdoor mapping will be exchanged to the replacement device for you.

In order to progress with this, please visit the Garmin Repair Centre at https://my.garmin.com/rma/en-GB/repair/repairLanding to submit a service request and receive a Return Material Authorisation (RMA) number and instructions for returning your device for service.

An RMA number is required before a device can be sent in and we can only accept requests with UK billing and shipping addresses via the online system."

When I click on either of the two links in the e.mail. they take me nowhere. I was hoping that by clicking on them would allow me to send it back for replacement without needing the p.o.p.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link works for me?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
Well that was a waste of time.
Thought it would be. Your link works for me too
2wheelsgood
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link works for me. I should say that I have used this service in the past when my old Garmin died and got a replacement [refurbished] unit for about £30 at that time.

Good value as it gets a Garmin warranty and they clean up the units well so no residual data on the unit and you get good clean installs.

Just my €0.02 worth.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Link works for me?

Yes, the link works to get to the repair centre but when I click in the centre to get into 'Select a registered device' or 'Enter a serial number', it is both those links that don't go any further.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2wheelsgood wrote:
Link works for me. I should say that I have used this service in the past when my old Garmin died and got a replacement [refurbished] unit for about £30 at that time.

Good value as it gets a Garmin warranty and they clean up the units well so no residual data on the unit and you get good clean installs.

Just my €0.02 worth.

But do you remember whether you had to provide a proof of purchase?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
sussamb wrote:
Link works for me?

Yes, the link works to get to the repair centre but when I click in the centre to get into 'Select a registered device' or 'Enter a serial number', it is both those links that don't go any further.

I'm getting the same. Click on the Chat link to talk to someone on line ...
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will give a follow-up on this thread soon. Should have something to report.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting to know why it won't charge or be recognised.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, I bought (literally!) dozens of dead Garmin Nüvi's off eBay - mainly 2xx and 1xxx series with those symptoms. The cause was always a broken USB socket. I was buying them for their screens, so it didn't matter to me. (I never found a source of the right type of USB socket to fix any of them ... and they were probably too small and fiddly for me anyway).

Now it could be down some of the other causes that have been mentioned (i.e. software) - but I know where I would put my money Wink

Actually, I've just remembered that I killed my original StreetPilot C510's USB socket within a month of getting it. Garmin replaced that F.O.C.

It's worth remembering that the Retailer has a responsibility under the Sale of Goods Act for dodgy items; they're supposed to last for a reasonable amount of time. There will be a deduction for the amount of use you've had and you may well have to sue them in the Small Claims Court - but as a (bolshy) Yorkshireman, that's where I'd be heading next.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say a broken USB socket, do you mean the power input on the unit or the connector at the end of the power cable? I have several power cables (including an unused one) but it still wouldn't charge.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean on the unit itself - the socket, rather than the plug on the end of the charging cable.

Just sometimes, a little sideways pressure on the plug will help it make contact (at least, temporarily)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: