Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Routing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routing though is so personal. Whichever way it's done some will like it, others won't. I try to always check the route first and just change it if it doesn't suit me. I rarely need to do so though.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Routing though is so personal. Whichever way it's done some will like it, others won't. I try to always check the route first and just change it if it doesn't suit me. I rarely need to do so though.
I would venture to suggest that if you were to ask a random sample of people in the street whether they would prefer to get from A to B via some narrow country lanes or stay on main A & B roads but travel a little farther in distance, the vast majority would prefer the latter. Also, unless one knows the area well, it's going to add an extra and unnecessary burden to the would-be traveller to expect them to scrutinise the suggested route and then try to figure out how to avoid inappropriate roads. I have been sent down roads on more than one occasion which seem reasonable to begin with but father on, turn into narrow, pot-holed mud tracks, so it's not even always possible to make a judgement while driving the route. There should be a choice, "Avoid Unclassified Roads in Rural Areas" or something along those lines, then at least we would have a choice to avoid them by default.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try making that point here http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
Yes, you can block off roads and whole areas. However, you will have to repeat the exercise if you do a master reset.
Does anyone know which file the Garmin stores these custom avoidances in? I am struggling to find them in any file but it must store them somewhere.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Try making that point here http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
I sent the following to my contact at Garmin on 31st March:-

"Actually, there is one thing you could pass on for me if possible. It's just that many people complain about a particular problem which seems common to most, if not all satellite navigation systems and if Garmin could resolve this, it would be a tremendously popular feature and a great selling point for their products. What I am talking about is having an option to avoid single track roads, of which there are many here in the UK. These roads are unclassified, i.e., not A roads, B roads, etc and are often dirty, pot-holed, have many blind bends, steep hills, etc. Reversing back down one of those to make way for an oncoming vehicle in the daytime is difficult but on a wet night, it would potentially be very hazardous. This feature has been requested on the various forums for a long time, but none of the sat nav manufacturers seems to be listening, so if you could pass this message to the relevant personnel, that would be good.

Once again, many thanks for your help."

This is the response I received:-

"No problem. Yes, I get it I drove around the UK a couple times and understand what you are writing about. I will pass this along to engineering here that handles this kind of stuff. I can’t guarantee it will be included, because it would have to be installed in every GPS device for every country, but I’ll pass it along. There is a Dirt road avoidance in the GPS, and custom avoidances in the newer units, where you can customize avoidances."
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom avoidances would certainly help.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Last edited by Kremmen on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They obviously know how to do it as Basecamp allows you to choose Truck or RV when planning a route. These give different routes based on what you choose.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Routing Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
walkerx wrote:
On A1 heading towards Kielder it told me to take a right turn onto a non existent junction. I later found that the junction we actually wanted was quite a distance prior to the one it notified me of yet never actually mentioned to take.

I think I know where you mean - and I took that exact route around August last year! At the time, the actual road was still being worked on. I don't think the issue is with the routing itself, but with out of date map data.

A SatNav can only be as accurate as the data it has.

this is the spot

wanted to take me across northbound into that dirt track

@Sussamb when you are in an area where you don't live, inspecting the route provided will not tell you if the device has picked up the correct route - ie driving from Ellingham to Bamburgh the device gave multiple routes but if you missed one junction as the device never knew it was a junction causes further problems. The Garmin is quite notorious for this issue and not providing directions when needed as it thought the road was straight on and not a junction

The other issue is why it takes you off an a-road to go down a b or c-road to only bring you back onto the same a-road about 0.5 mile further along.

Last edited by walkerx on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you opted out of that particular route then? I expect it would have then routed you back on to the A1 a couple of miles further on.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I bet you opted out of that particular route then? I expect it would have then routed you back on to the A1 a couple of miles further on.

yep, the thing is the actual junction was about 1 mile before that which could have easily been used..

this is another error - wanted me to go straight ahead which is a road to a house and just past it a gate across the road so not sure if was proper road - but if look at google and garmin the road goes all the way to another road, which is probably why it said to go that way, but in reality the route was to follow road round the corner

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but bear in mind (from your screendump) that you just have to turn left into the ditch for England Very Happy Or is that a picture of an A road in Scotland? Very Happy
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a road in england on way from bamburgh to ellingham - some serious potholes - went across to holy island other day and there is one major pothole which if you hit it, would take off the front of your car, there is one traffic cone highlighting this near the edge of the road - its a wonder at night no-one goes down it - it makes the potholes in south yorkshire look like slight dips in the road
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd send that first screenshot off to Garmin and see what they say.

If you're destination is only a few miles away you could possibly accept it by mistake, but if you still have many miles to go, then that, obvious from the start, dirt track, is a no no.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Last edited by Kremmen on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a map error for sure. Either report it to Garmin or directly to HERE, who supply the mapping to Garmin.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, another one today when plotting route to Beamish. Took screenshot on device, but if you live north of Beamish you can do a search and pick the Foursquare result, then look at route near the destination to see the mistake.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: