Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Icon Permanently Showing on Banner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Icon Permanently Showing on Banner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Icon Permanently Showing on Banner Reply with quote

I've just run a couple of simulated local journeys on my new Driveluxe 50 LMT-D and I'm puzzled as to why a white-on-grey speed camera icon has stayed permanently on the right-hand side of the banner at the top of the map. The only thing that has changed is originally when I pressed the icon, it pointed to a camera 0.6 miles away, but it's now showing the following information:-

MOBILE CAMERA
Alert Information
Distance: 0.4mi
Speed: 70.0pmh

Category
Custom POIs: Overspeed

Can anyone explain what is going on here please?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you pressed the icon so it's giving you the details. That's what hapoens if you tap any icon top right. It should disappear, if it doesn't exit map view then come back to it.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not disappearing, even if I exit map view and then go back in.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've turned the unit completely off and then back on - that's got rid of it. I wonder why it wouldn't go away before?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. I've just tried it and it went away when I hit the return arrow.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cottonsocks

I have this with a single camera on a regular basis, it will say 0.7 mile away but is infact 13 mile away. it even lets you navigate to it

I think it is more of a bug with the garmin software, next time i get it i'll try to grab a screenshot of it.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this gets even more intriguing - I've just reloaded the cameras to test whether the CSV to GPX converter is actually remembering the custom banners without going into that part of the program and this time, the sat nav showed a banner "Find Parking" instead of the speed camera banner. I've removed the camera database again and re-run the simulation, which has now cleared the bizarre message. Oh and yes, I had the option to navigate to a camera 0.6 miles away earlier and when I tested it via a simulation, the sat nav directed me up the M5 to the next junction, then back down the other carriageway to where the mobile camera icon was showing, a distance of about 10 miles. Very weird.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well none of that is really weird.

Your nuvi will suggest 'Find parking' once it thinks you're getting close to a destination, tapping the P icon top right will bring up a list of parking places close by. It's really quite useful.

As for navigating, I suspect the speed camera was on the opposite side of the carriageway, so to get to it you have to go up the M way to a junction then back down again
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the banners can get stuck when operating the Drivesmart in simulation mode.

If you stop the simulation whilst a camera is displayed in the banner that message gets stuck until you simulate driving past the same camera again.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see. I don't remember seeing it the first time I did a similar test, I'll try a longer route and see what happens, but I've got another problem now, I decided to delete all the files in the working directory, just in case, and now, after the CSV to GPX converter program has runs, it is reporting about half a dozen GPX files without corresponding picture or sound files. I'd upload an image but I can't see an option to do that. Perhaps I downloaded the wrong database (with voices only - no chimes)?

I think I should add that when downloading the database and unzipping everything to the CSV converter, all the three columns turned green - it was only after processing that the sound and picture columns turned pink.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found the answer to the missing files problem. I had deleted some important files from the working directory. I must be getting tired.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have downloaded/copied your favourite BMP and WAV files to your CSV Converter working folder you don't touch them, unless you want to change them.

Within the CSV Converter is an option, used when you update the weekly cameras, to only extract the cameras so the WAV and BMP stay as your original favourites.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Once you have downloaded/copied your favourite BMP and WAV files to your CSV Converter working folder you don't touch them, unless you want to change them.

Within the CSV Converter is an option, used when you update the weekly cameras, to only extract the cameras so the WAV and BMP stay as your original favourites.

Yes, I remembered that when I re-read the instructions. I'd only deleted them to eliminate any possible corruptions in the files as being a cause for the strange behaviour on the Driveluxe. One thing I have discovered though is that (in my case at least) it is necessary to run the banner text change feature each time if that is what you want to happen. Also, while the program remembers most of the user selections, it doesn't remember my choice to remove the direction prefix on the banner.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it indeed - I'll have a look at that.

There are so many behind the scenes settings saved it's easy to miss one.

The other point about the text change, yes, you need to process the files each time.

What I'll look at is an option to auto process any text changes it finds. Just a simple on or off to be run at main process end.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. Thank you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: