Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2017 range (DriveLuxe51) first impressions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2017 range (DriveLuxe51) first impressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: 2017 range (DriveLuxe51) first impressions Reply with quote

Picked up a DriveLuxe51 and running alongside my DriveLuxe50 I am hard pressed to see any differences.

A few menus have been subtly reorganised and there are a few minor tweaks (such as a couple of new menus including the new "Incident reporting" feature (which needs a Smartlink connection to work) and the Wi-Fi update menu is on the main menu screen) but the unit isn't notably faster or more responsive.

There are 4 map files - the new North and South which Garmin introduced with 2017.30, Foursquare and the new one is Parkopedia, which I wasn't expecting.

Does seem the only major difference between the 2 units is the Wi-Fi capability - which I am yet to test

Last edited by BAVC10 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it have enough storage for the downloaded installation files prior to them being installed
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Garmin Express to download the updates (map and firmware) as I didn't want to trust the first usage to Wi-Fi. I will test the Wi-Fi when there is a small update such as a language or text file to see how this goes.

There's loads of free disk space so I don't see that being an issue for everything but the maps, given there are now 4 main map files plus associated Junction View and other files which take a full Europe install to nearly 8mb.

It's probably worth using GE for the map installation as I download this first to my PC so I can use it with BaseCamp and then install to the unit as this is usually quicker once the files are on the PC.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: