Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - End of Average Speed Zone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

End of Average Speed Zone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: End of Average Speed Zone Reply with quote

How does any Sat Nav know it has exited an average speed zone?
It can't be first camera turns it on and second turns it off because we have series of cameras in a row.
I then thought it might be a different camera type, I use iGO text files that have "4" as the average camera type but I don't see a start or finish option. Unless it needs to have a opposite direction setting.
I ask because my Mazda often gets stuck in the mistaken state of telling me to slow down when there either wasn't an average zone or we have passed the end.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribe and get our CamerAlert speed camera warnings. We mark the last camera in a series and end our calculations/warnings.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
vulcanben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Subscribe and get our CamerAlert speed camera warnings. We mark the last camera in a series and end our calculations/warnings.

Thank you for your prompt reply,
I am a subscriber and have added your excellent database to my Mazda system so I get both sets of warnings. I expect it is the Mazda ones that are fault but they are encrypted files so hard to remove.
Do you know what/how you mark the last camera with? As I said I use your iGO version that is in a text format.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the second similar post in the last few days about the way iGo handles average camera zones.

From what I've read iGo just treats cameras in pairs so cam A turns it on and cam B turns it off, then C D, E F, etc.

Therefore iGo thinks there is no average trap between B and C, D and E, and so on.

It's an iGo issue as they are only expecting an A and B camera. We report every single camera because you may enter the zone at camera B, or C.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: End of Average Speed Zone Reply with quote

vulcanben wrote:
How does any Sat Nav know it has exited an average speed zone?
Only if you tell it
Quote:

It can't be first camera turns it on and second turns it off because we have series of cameras in a row.
That's exactly what the default iGO software does, but is not how SPECS work as you rightly point out.
Quote:
I then thought it might be a different camera type, I use iGO text files that have "4" as the average camera type but I don't see a start or finish option.
The general use database does not have the information that you require (and wouldn't work in iGO anyway). But the CamerAlert app for smartphones has the info and works 'properly'
Quote:
Unless it needs to have a opposite direction setting.
that won't and doesn't work with iGO
Quote:
I ask because my Mazda often gets stuck in the mistaken state of telling me to slow down when there either wasn't an average zone or we have passed the end.
If it is iGO, then I think that by tapping (or tap-hold) on the actual average speed readout cancels the calculation, but it's up to you to guess when you have passed the last one in a sequence and you will miss every alternate pair. A shocking implementation about which they have known about for years, but done nothing about.

Signed: self confessed iGO black belt (but not the later Primo2.4 onwards versions)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: End of Average Speed Zone Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Signed: self confessed iGO black belt

Written without a single blushicon! Embarassed

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a non-iGo user I dont have an answer but is it possible to add a non-existent "end camera" locally on the sat nav just to keep everything in pairs.?

i.e.
In real life and in the PgpsW database you drive into a Spec zone
Camera A = start
Cameras C, E & G = Intermediate cameras
Camera H = end.

Is it possible to manually add fictitious "END" cameras on the iGo satnav at positions B, D, & F so that real life intermediate cameras C, E & G are treated as start cameras?

I know that this shall not give an accurate record of speed throughout the zone but if it is possible and so long as you dont exceed the speed in any pairing, you shall be safe.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like two interesting exercises.

1. How does the satnav know there's a C? How does it know there's a series? All it sees is a camera type Average so it start calculating average speed. It finds another camera type Average and that (being overload) triggers a Stop. It doesn't know about the next camera until it gets there.

2. How does the manual Fourth Dan iGo bloke scan a text listing and decide this is a series?

That's just me thinking out loud. A solution doesn't do anything for me - I'm a fanboy (without a blushicon Embarassed )

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know either Dennis. It was a rather loud Brain Dump based on what I would try if it were me.
If it works, it works. If it dosnt, I dont know.

(sorry, my keyboard is not printing any apostrophes).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
As a non-iGo user I dont have an answer but is it possible to add a non-existent "end camera" locally on the sat nav just to keep everything in pairs.?
Problem is Ali, that's what iGO think they always come in and that's why the iGO solution is cr@p

Well, put simply, what you have do is hack into iGO's camera processing system and trap for SPECS cams. You first terminate iGO's average speed cam calculation and then use the iGO's built in average speed calculation (not the speedcam processing one). At the first cam you start the av speed running and display it. At the next cam, reset it and continue calculating. This gives you the average speed between each camera and the next. Simples'.

The only problem is knowing when you reach the last one. That's guesswork as they are not marked in the standard iGO download as such. If you know which cams are the end ones, you can give them an 'unused' type number (say 11) and use that to terminate the average calculation and remove the display.
Glad you asked?
That's how it's done. If you feel up to it, give it a whirl. Twisted Evil
If you don't I'll give you the code and 'all' you have to do is find out how to patch it into iGO's speed cam stuff. And good luck with that as well.
Said completely without a Embarassed
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dennis that it does sound an interesting exercise.

If you want to mimic the abilities of CamerAlert then don't forget that there are four types of camera in the CamerAlert database: Start; Middle; End; and Exit. Exit is a pseudo End camera type that is used to tell Cameralert to switch off average speed calculation when you leave an average speed zone on a (slip) road that doesn't have an End SPECS camera.

Does the latest version of iGo (for iPhone) handle third party POIs?

Are you aware of anybody who does actually hack the iGo software?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, me. I have hacked iGO 8 and early versions of Primo Ui and speedcam handling but can't get my head around (and can't be bothered) with the Later Primo offerings.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Yes, me. I have hacked iGO 8 and early versions of Primo Ui and speedcam handling

Not Worthy

M8TJT wrote:
but can't get my head around (and can't be bothered) with the Later Primo offerings.

Oh dear, shame.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: