Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacing TomTom GO 920 (POIs and Itinerary planning)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing TomTom GO 920 (POIs and Itinerary planning)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Replacing TomTom GO 920 (POIs and Itinerary planning) Reply with quote

We are still using a 920. Apart from the fact that the battery became virtually useless within weeks of purchase the 920 has served us well, but we have never updated the maps and are wondering whether it is time to look for a more up-to-date replacement. We are aware that, for example, updated maps should they include features like better lane guidance at junctions.

Reading the sticky thread on dropped features http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=87884 it looks as if several important features may not now be available. Those that stand out as important to us are:
Quote:
POI 'search radius' introduced. POIs further than 50 miles cannot be found or searched for.
Itinerary Planning dropped (replaced by far inferior 3-4 waypoints)
Waypoints reduced from 4 to 3 maximum
SD card slots phased out and not enough memory put in to compensate - giving us the Zoned maps debacle (SD cards now thankfully returning to most models)

Later in the thread there is mention of difficulty (or impossibility) of importing files of user-defined POIs. I am used to creating ov2 and bmp files on my PC and simply copying them over (either via USB or direct to the SD card) using Windows Explorer.

Friends who "upgraded" a year or two ago say that they find the more recent model much more difficult to use.

The thread is very long and it is difficult to see what the current position is. Are there current models where:
- large POI sets can be readily copied in?
- there is no search radius for POIs?
- itineraries can be planned with at least, say, 8 waypoints?
- the whole of Western Europe is held as a seamless map?

If there are such current models where can we most easily see a comparison of their features?

Should we perhaps consider extending the life of our 920. I read that TomTom no longer supply map updates for "Nav2" models, and indeed the update page that I have found on the TomTom website https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/travel-map/western-europe/ says that the update is not available for the 920. Is it possible to get more up-to-date maps by other means?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm afraid that you will not be able to update the map on your 920 as TomTom have deemed that the 920's life has expired.

The decision by TomTom to no longer offer maps for their old products has caused a few threads on this forum - the answer is the same though: drop TomTom like it has dropped you and your 920 and go to Garmin. Unfortunately I have no Garmin units so I can't advise on the best one for you.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much every Garmin will do what you want. Just pick one with the Western Europe map and that has trip planner, which all but the very basic Garmins have.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you want traffic alerts, go for an LMT-D model.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 920 and all the older NAV2 devices (that use TTHome rather than MyDrive Connect) with 2GB or more of internal memory (irrespective of whether there's an SD card slot or not) ARE still supported but nobody knows for sure how much longer as TT have pulled the plug on under 2GB intrenal memory NAV2s already!
see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php? and https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-x00-x10-x20-x30-x40-x50-home-59/no-more-support-for-old-devices-1014171
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, justbrowsing. I now see that the TomTom compatibility checker asks for the first 2 characters of the serial number ... NOT the model number! So it seems I can get an updated map.

However, before paying for that I would like to know more about my options. I will have a look at Garmin. (Thanks to all for suggesting this.)
Will all Garmin models allow us to import large sets of user-defined POIs with custom icons? And will we be able to search for and use POIs in much the same way as we have done with the 920?
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy Beagle wrote:
Thanks for the links, justbrowsing. I now see that the TomTom compatibility checker asks for the first 2 characters of the serial number ... NOT the model number! So it seems I can get an updated map.

However, before paying for that I would like to know more about my options. I will have a look at Garmin. (Thanks to all for suggesting this.)
Will all Garmin models allow us to import large sets of user-defined POIs with custom icons? And will we be able to search for and use POIs in much the same way as we have done with the 920?

sounds like a lot of reading/studying here before you decide:- http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=96
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sounds like a lot of reading/studying here before you decide

That's what I'm afraid of!

Which makes me think we might be better sticking with TomTom ... either updating our 920 or going for a newer model.

I've been looking at the manuals for current models on TomTom's website.

It looks as if the Start and Via models have only rudimentary itinerary planning (inserting some waypoints before the destination, with no ability to save a route) and no ability to load custom sets of POIs. So it looks as if these ranges are unlikely to suit us.

On the other hand it looks as if the GO models have quite good itinerary planning ("My Routes"). Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to use this to create itineraries with multiple waypoints and save and reload them?

Also the manual mentions "Community POI lists". Would I be able to use this facility to load my own personal lists which I have already created (ov2 and bmp files)?

However, I can see no mention in the manual of any ability either to save map locations as POIs or to export sets of POIs. (I need to be able to create POIs while we travel and then to export them to my PC so that I can use the data outside TomTom and combine the new POIs with existing sets.)

I would appreciate any thoughts on whether we would be likely to find any of these models satisfactory replacements for the 920 in respect of itinerary planning and user-defined POIs.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your requirements it looks to me like the Garmin combination of a PND (Nuvi) and Basecamp would be ideal.

You can plan a route on your PC and transfer it to the PND. I've also found during my brief looking at Basecamp that when you connect your PND to the PC Basecamp shows where you've been.

Plus all Nuvi's take the cameras from here.

The only issue with Garmin, from what I've read, is that the routing can be dubious. However, this doesn't seem to affect everyone.

It all depends on how you use your SatNav. I don't follow the route blindly from A to B, especially longer trips. If I'm going somewhere new I do some homework first then just use the nav to give me traffic and general guidance.

It's the last few miles in unfamiliar territory where I find it useful.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch to Garmin won't be as difficult as you think, and there are lots of folks here who have done so and can help you.

Routing of TT is often said to be better than Garmin, but I've used Garmin for years and have generally been happy, but you'll always find that 'local knowledge' may come up with a better route regardless of which satnav you use.

Sometimes though what may appear to be incorrect often can be a good choice. As an example I'm just back from a few days in France, driving a route I've driven many times around Tours, and was surprised when my 2508 took me off the main route into Tours. I could have ignored it and it would have picked up my normal route but I decided just to see what happened.

The route through Tours to get onto the new bypass to the West is a 50kph limit once you hit the town and has numerous roundabouts, these are favourites for mobile speed traps and they are also bottlenecks so you can be held up quite a bit. The 'new' route took me around all of this and popped me a couple of roundabouts away from the bypass, a quicker and much easier route despite the fact it bypassed the North of Tours on minor roads. It'll certainly be one I use in future, but for those unaware of the problems in Tours they'd probably complain that they were 'taken off the main road for no reason' Wink
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, Kremmen and sussamb.

I would not expect to rely blindly on a route calculated by a SatNav, so it doesn't bother me whether one device is sometimes a bit better than another.

Quote:
You can plan a route on your PC and transfer it to the PND.

Can I also plan a route (with multiple waypoints) on the device (without the PC)?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can create trips on the device itself of up to 30 viapoints. These points cannot be missed, if you do you'll be directed back to them. You can though also add hundreds of shaping points, these can be skipped. Shaping points can be changed to viapoints and via points changed to shaping points within the trip planner app on the device, or sent to your device using BaseCamp. It's a very flexible and simple procedure Very Happy
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Sounds good.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not a "skip next via" skulking about somewhere? Feel certain that I have bumped into it sometime.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have please tell where as I haven't Wink and would love to know Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: