Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update to 7 digit postcodes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update to 7 digit postcodes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosspb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Update to 7 digit postcodes? Reply with quote

Hi all, i bought a Garmin Drive 50LMT as it has world maps but it only has 4 digit postcodes, is there a way to update it to 7 digit postcodes?

Looked online & can only find how to do it for tom-toms, not garmins!

Any help appreciated thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. Garmin have had full postcode search for ages, what makes you believe you haven't?

Garmin don't have world maps though, so maybe that is confusing you?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to leave a space or not leave a space and you are doing the wrong one? On my 2569 I can entera 7 digit format with or without a space.
rosspb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered it the other day in a black friday sale, arriving in a few days & noticed on the spec it says 4 digit postcodes so thought i'd check in advance & cancel if can't be changed..

It states world maps on spec, eu, uk and middle east loaded with rest downloadable, link below

http://www.tesco.com/direct/garmin-drive-50-world-travel-edition-lmt/383-6881.prd?skuId=383-6881&source=others
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a weird beast, never heard of that one before ... and Garmin have never offered something like it, before there had been one that offered US and EU maps.

I wonder if it really has the City Navigator maps or OSM mapping. The latter would explain the 4 digit only postcode search. Worth checking with Tesco but if it does come with worldwide Garmin mapping that's a great deal.
rosspb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I get it i shall find out I guess Laughing Out Loud googled it and seems to be a middle east product as was on Garmin's .ae site

Hopefully when I update the maps its changes or Teasco info is incorrect.

Will update as soon as I receive it
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have four digit postcodes or is it an error by Tesco when posting the spec? They often make mistakes!

The Garmin website lists the device but doesn't mention postcodes at all. Two German online retailers list the device but make no mention of postcodes but the description may be a direct transcription of the Garmin site.

The price seems genuine reduction as Tesco listed it at £149 previuosly and two German discount sites have it at €150.99 and 144.99 (£123 - £128)

As most newer Garmins now find an address by number, street name and town are postcodes that helpful? Certainly not abroad where, in many countries, they cover a large area. Coordinates in such cases are much better.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b33jay wrote:
As most newer Garmins now find an address by number, street name and town are postcodes that helpful?
It's easier and quicker to put in a postcode and house number.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this too so ordered one on Friday and will collect it later so I'll check what maps it comes with. I'm hoping it's possible to download maps and put them on my DriveLuxe but it depends if it is 'locked' to the unit - which I'm guessing Garmin will do like the inbuilt maps.

Last edited by BAVC10 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure it'll be locked to the unit Wink

Assuming of course they are Garmin maps and not OSM ones.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're definitely Garmin maps - there's 5 options including North or South America, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand or Middle East and North Africa (which is preloaded with the unit along with full Europe.

Unit behaves exactly as per a standard Drive, DriveSmart etc.. range so it had no trouble in picking up a 7 digit postcode as I would expect from a UK search.

Unit comes with 16Gb (not sure is the Drive normally comes with 8Gb or 16Gb) so it's a welcome memory size.

Will download an alternative to check if it the maps are unit specific but I'm guessing so.

Unit is clearly a new model as the firmware installed is the current one on GE (4.10) and the Speed camera database is from mid-July.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to check to see if you get all the additional features on all the maps? Junction view for example?

Also how much of the 16Gb memory is free for adding more maps? How do you get those maps? Is it through Express?

It'll be interesting to see if this is a sign of things to come!
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirm the unit comes with the features present in a UK & I, Western Europe of Full European mapping. There's two JCV files present so this works as normal.

You can only have two maps on the unit - downloaded via GE which asks which maps you want on the unit although as they are saved as Gmapprom and Grampprom1 I'm sure the unit could be 'tricked' to include more if these are renamed which I'll try out.

Interestingly, the unit is a LMT but comes with the TA10 charger and I've not tested it yet to see whether the 'traffic info' is in the unit or the charger but the lead is a thin one and not the 'double thickness and washing line aerial' that previous traffic enabled chargers came with.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TA10 and a TA20 charger. Both work on traffic and both have the thin lead.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a TA10 for a Drive UK&I but this doesn't pick up traffic so I need to swap these around as I always thought the traffic came in the cable although some of the high-end units seemingly have the traffic in-built.

Unfortunately the maps are locked to the unit as I suspected, worth checking out though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: