Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I have never reported a camera to TomTom. First, why give a competitor any help? Second, they have such a poor record of acting on reports anyway, it wouldn't be any use. And what store do they place on user reports anyway - they gave up on device reports for MapShare, one of their better ideas (albeit implemented in the usual incompetent TT manner), so they obviously don't give users any merit for credibility.

LIKE Wink
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
Just been having a fiddle with TomTom Home because I'm ...
If you install TomTom Home v2.9.91 over the top of your device killing version of TomTom Home and create a empty text file called v2_9_94_450_win.exe in the Updates folder in your TomTom profile you can get TomTom Home running like it used to Very Happy
It will even allow you to buy maps for your "expired" device Shocked
when you run TomTom home you will get a window saying "A new version of TomTom Home is available... blah... blah... blah... just click continue.
You'll now get an error box about blah... blah... blah... is not a valid Win32 application, leave this window up and you'll now be able to click on the TomTom Home app and use it as normal.
It's a crappy work around but it works Razz

Unfortunately I have fallen at the first hurdle. I want to install TomTom Home v2.9.91 but I cant find a copy of it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can download this old version?
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
DeLorean wrote:
If you install TomTom Home v2.9.91 over the top of your device killing version of TomTom Home and create a empty text file called v2_9_94_450_win.exe in the Updates folder in your TomTom profile you can get TomTom Home running like it used to Very Happy
It will even allow you to buy maps for your "expired" device Shocked
when you run TomTom home you will get a window saying "A new version of TomTom Home is available... blah... blah... blah... just click continue.
You'll now get an error box about blah... blah... blah... is not a valid Win32 application, leave this window up and you'll now be able to click on the TomTom Home app and use it as normal.
It's a crappy work around but it works Razz

Unfortunately I have fallen at the first hurdle. I want to install TomTom Home v2.9.91 but I cant find a copy of it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can download this old version?

Sadly, even if you DO manage this "fix" (which you'll need to google for), it will still NOT let you do things like buy maps etc you could do before your device was sent to the scrapheap by TT
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to buy maps, my maps are up to date at the moment. I just want to restore the ability to "Operate My Go" so that I can plan routes in advance on the PC. I did Google but I didn't find anywhere to download the older version of Home. Sad
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

You have a PM.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Richard. Very Happy
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:

A more elegant solution is to install TomTom Home v2.9.91 over the top of your device killing version of TomTom Home and then go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul folder and edit the file called application.ini
Inside the application.ini file is a line which reads Version=2.9.91.411 change this to Version=2.9.99.999 (you may need to edit this file as an administrator). This will convince Home that you have a more recent version than the upgrade being offered and it will no longer try to download the newer broken version.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
bmuskett wrote:
"*Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more."

If TomTom had a policy of improving its devices (i.e. retaining all existing functionality whilst adding new functionally) then I wouldn't have a problem with TomTom deeming when the useful life of its older products is over after a reasonable time frame. However TomTom's current batch of SatNavs is frustratingly inferior to the devices that TomTom has just stopped supporting - that's the problem.

Regards,

...so true!
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
DeLorean wrote:

A more elegant solution is to install TomTom Home v2.9.91 over the top of your device killing version of TomTom Home and then go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul folder and edit the file called application.ini
Inside the application.ini file is a line which reads Version=2.9.91.411 change this to Version=2.9.99.999 (you may need to edit this file as an administrator). This will convince Home that you have a more recent version than the upgrade being offered and it will no longer try to download the newer broken version.

Thanks... go the full hog and treat yourself to version 9.9.99.999 :-)
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
go the full hog and treat yourself to version 9.9.99.999 :-)
Living life on the edge. Very Happy
Colin64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
justbrowsing wrote:
3. I seem to recal being able to check in My Account on the tt website under "orders" but not sure if that still stands.

I just tried that for my old 950. Unfortunately "orders" just shows your history of map purchases but doesn't show when your maps expire(d).

I'd have thought that there was a way on the unit, but my 950 is safely stored away - I now just use the old TomTom iOS app.

Regards,

Privateer

The TT 950 is not on the list of unsupported models, so are you saying that if the Go Live model has not been updated for sometime TT wont allow purchase of Live services or maps. Reason i ask is my Go540 is on the list and the 820 i bought to replace it wont show Gatso cameras on the TT device(there there in my community on lap top but don't show on the TT when installed)

I was thinking of purchasing a second hand TT950 from ebay as links below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TomTom-GO-950-LIVE-Customised-Maps-Automotive-GPS-Receiver-Grade-B-/282365581993?hash=item41be4cdaa9:g:2cEAAOSwImRYMdpa

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TomTom-GO-950-LIVE-Satellite-Navigation-System-Europe-USA-Canada-/122338795754?hash=item1c7bf5e0ea:g:7GEAAOSw5cNYkxMw

If i did buy one of these older models can this still be updated(maps/services)? and the $64,000 question how long do you think before this model is cast aside by TT?
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also playing with the idea of buying a 950 as a few brand new boxed ones have recently turned up on eBay... but I decided against it.
The 550, 750 and 950 were released in 2009 so are also getting pretty old and the LIVE services (if you can still buy a subscription) does not support anything above GPRS.
Also most will now have duff batteries which will need replacing (not that easy on these models) and a boxed one will definitely have a completely wrecked battery from sitting discharged for so many years.
If anyone has found alternative Sat Nav devices which would make a good replacement for the higher spec 910, 920, 930, 940 & 950 devices I’d love to know as Tom Tom’s current range all seem pretty useless for serious users.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin64 wrote:
The TT 950 is not on the list of unsupported models, so are you saying that if the Go Live model has not been updated for sometime TT wont allow purchase of Live services or maps. Reason i ask is my Go540 is on the list and the 820 i bought to replace it wont show Gatso cameras on the TT device(there there in my community on lap top but don't show on the TT when installed)

No, I believe that you would still be able to buy Live services and maps for a 950 - because the 950 is not on the list YET, and also because TomTom are still sending me emails to update the map and possibly the Live services. NB I don't read those emails and I delete them.

Colin64 wrote:
I was thinking of purchasing a second hand TT950 from ebay as links below

In my opinion, the 950 was the best PND that TomTom made that I've used. If you're going to get one, then get one sooner than later as it will eventually be put on the list. Good luck, I hope that you get a good working one.

If you buy one from eBay make sure that the seller gives you the email address or transfers it to you so that you can update the maps and Live services.

Colin64 wrote:
If i did buy one of these older models can this still be updated(maps/services)? and the $64,000 question how long do you think before this model is cast aside by TT?

Ah, the old $64,000 question. Hang on I'll get my crystal ball out. Wink Joking aside, I really don't know. I'm guessing that the 940 (already on the list) was released a year before the 950. So you might have a year before the 950 is on the list but that must be the longest period. If you gambled then you might possibly have six or even just three months to get the maps and services extended. However TomTom could pull the plug tomorrow.

My advice is if you're going to get a 950 then proceed with caution, try to guarantee that it is in full working order and that you will be able to extend the map and services, i.e. that you can register the 950 to an email that you own. BTW, I set up a Gmail with the 950's serial number as part of the email address.

Personally, I tend to use the old TomTom apps (I've got both UK and Europe) on my iPhone. Unfortunately they are no longer available anymore because the newer TomTom GO Mobile is out - but is a lot worse!

If you have an iPhone and want to use POIs (to navigate to) then I thoroughly recommend POIViewer as you can create and edit POIs and use POIViewer to send the coordinates to any SatNav app on your iPhone.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean answered whilst I was replying. Wink However those are words of wisdom. The battery is likely to be shot, so you will need to always power from the plug.

I'm not sure whether the GPRS will be an issue - unless of course TomTom stops supporting it. GPRS should still be OK for traffic data.

DeLorean wrote:
If anyone has found alternative Sat Nav devices which would make a good replacement for the higher spec 910, 920, 930, 940 & 950 devices I’d love to know as Tom Tom’s current range all seem pretty useless for serious users.

The current TomTom GO Mobile app is pretty poor on the iPhone even though it's been released for very nearly a year now. I believe that the Android version of GO Mobile is much better than the iOS version.

I'm afraid that there are no products in the current TomTom range of PNDs or apps (iOS or Android) that are worth mentioning. The trouble is that there's nothing much outside TomTom either.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the only differences between a 540/740/940 (and the 550/750/950 for that matter) apart from original mapping is the internal memory size: 1/2/4Gb and ALL have MicroSD card slots anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: