Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange routing on nuvi 250 (CN 2017.10)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange routing on nuvi 250 (CN 2017.10)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham_G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Strange routing on nuvi 250 (CN 2017.10) Reply with quote

I recently updated the maps on my Nuvi 250 - only with the UK and Ireland segment of CN Europe 2017.10 since I'm not going anywhere foreign this year, and then took it on holiday to West Wales, mainly the area between St Davids and Aberystwyth, which I am almost completely unfamiliar with and so needed to be able to rely on my Satnav.

During the week there the unit tried to make me do some crazy things. On one of the roads leading NW-SE - possibly the A482, I can't remember, there is a row of oldish houses set back from the main road on their own little parallel road joined to the main road at both ends. As I approached this formation at 60mph, the unit tried to get me to go off the 'A' road, down the little street of houses and back onto the 'A' road instead of just staying on the 'A' road. By no stretch of the imagination was the loop road shorter, so it wasn't as though the unit was just trying to take me by the shortest, most direct route.

This was just one of many instances in which the unit tried to take me down unsuitable narrow bypasses and backroutes instead of just handing me from one 'A' road to another a few hundred yards further on. The unit's behaviour was pretty much as though I had a mode called 'Avoid main roads whenever possible' turned on.

The actual relevant settings are 'Fastest Time' (rather than ' Shortest Route') and in the avoidances only 'Avoid Toll Roads' was turned on. 'Avoid main roads' is OFF.

Anyone else been having problems like this?

I'm pretty sure the unit never used to do this earlier in its life, when it used to route sensibly. The unit has had the latest firmware available (for the Nuvi 250) for some years now. One thing I might consider is going back to older firmware if I can find it.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange routing on nuvi 250 (CN 2017.10) Reply with quote

Graham_G wrote:
Anyone else been having problems like this?
Yes. Most peeps with Garmins have this sort of thing happen to them from time to time. Bloody poor routing algorithm. Sometimes makes absolutely no sense what so ever.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, this is another post of a similar nature that is becoming quite common.

Maybe contact Garmin as they 'must' be getting complaints about this poor behaviour.

If sussamb sees this he should know the best way to contact them for this.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first thing to try is a master reset. Ideally that should be done after any software or map update, as it generally cures any weird behaviour like that.

You can then run your nuvi in simulation mode to see if it still does it, but this needs you to remember where it happened, and it sounds like you can't?

If it still does it after a master reset then it's worth contacting Garmin.

Should you wish to revert to an older firmware this can be done fairly easily but unless you can recall where the events happened you can't really compare the two.

Last edited by sussamb on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Agree, this is another post of a similar nature that is becoming quite common.
There has been posts like this about Garmin's routeing for as long as I've been into sat navs K. They seem to be mostly about routeing in the West Country or other less populous areas. I have never had a problem with iGO routeing and would use that exclusively if I could get a version with traffic.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. It's the digital traffic that keeps me with Garmin but as you know I don't use my Garmin for routeing.

iGo with it's directional cameras sounds better.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely have issues with Garmin routeing and use Garmins extensively in the UK, France, Spain and Portugal. One thing with modern Garmins is that they have two features that are meant to help improve routeing. One is myTrends that suggests routes that it knows you use frequently. The other is TrafficTrends. This is aimed at predicting traffic flow from historical data, that is updated on your nuvi when you update maps, so will route you taking that into account.

The latter can certainly cause what appears to be weird routeing, which often varies on the same route at different times of the day. Since I find the digital traffic excellent I have TrafficTrends turned off.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I reckon, based on your better knowledge, that every map update should trigger a unit master reset.

Why am I so clever Laughing
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Graham_G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only two or three roads it could really have been, given where I went during the week. I may try 'flying' along over each of them on Google Earth to try to spot the little loop road with the houses on, and then drop down there on StreetView to see if it's the place. I would recognise it if I saw it again.

If I can ID it that way I'll try to simulate a run along past that point.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin does produce some odd routes, often along country lanes. It happened to me earlier in the week in Cheshire.
M8TJT wrote:
I have never had a problem with iGO routeing and would use that exclusively if I could get a version with traffic.

Likewise.

IGO has a routing option called "Easy" which I love. I think it was aimed at caravans and motorhomes. The route was not the shortest nor always the quickest, but it would use major roads all the time, even if it was significantly longer.

I have suggested a similar option to Garmin several times.

I have also suggested they use road numbers (e.g. A56) rather than names (e.g. Chester Road) at junctions.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly more road numbers are now being used by Garmin than ever before, and it's a bit like junction view, more are added each map update.

As for an easy or 'use main routes only' option if enough folks ask for it Garmin tend to introduce it, I guess not enough of us ask for this particular option Crying or Very sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, surely enough peeps have asked for better routing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: