Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 750 Live battery not holding charge?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 750 Live battery not holding charge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: GO 750 Live battery not holding charge? Reply with quote

I have a battery issue with my TomTom GO 750 Live.

A while ago I found that the battery didn't seem to be holding its charge. I always plug it into the cigar lighter socket and as soon as the ignition is turned off I was getting a red low-charge battery symbol. I changed the battery and charged it up on the mains until the on/off button went green and have been using it successfully for the last month or so.

Over the last few days I've noticed the red battery low charge light on start-up / shut-down and yesterday it died completely.

What to do next?

Do I replace the battery again or Kick it into the long grass and change it for a newer model?

There’s nothing wrong with the device (apart from the battery issue), the maps are up to date and the Live services (when they work) are a must-have feature.

Could it be a good battery but a faulty charging element (whatever that might be) that isn't actually putting a charge into the battery?

If I have to change the device, does any of the newer devices allow me to use ‘Itinerary planner’ which is a must-have facility for me.

Many thanks for your anticipated help

Barry
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from leaving it on mains charge (even switched off) for 2-3 hours & see if that helps then for the sake of a few (more) Euros I'd say change battery again as these x50 Live devices are pretty damn good!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do a lot of stuff that the later ones dont, like PGPSW cameras, Itineries to name but 2
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies. I can get another replacement battery for around €9 so I'm guessing that makes a lot of sense.

Its a tiny outlay compared to the cost of a new device and, having looked at the new ones, it seems to do more. Certainly the Itinerary Planner feature is a must as we often want to go places via certain way-points.

Many thanks for the nudge, I'll try again with a replacement battery.

Barry
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a new replacement battery and have since fully charged my device via the mains (device was turned off and on/off button has turned green).

I'll leave it turned off and I'll check it tomorrow morning to see how much charge it has retained.

I'm starting to think it may be a faulty cable in the car? When I connect it in the car the battery symbol disappears from the screen, as expected, but doesn't appear to be recharging.

Anywho, I'll check it again in the morning to see how much it has retained and it it still looks healthy I'll check the cable in the car.

Barry
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not fully charge it then turn it ON (not off) and see how long it lasts? As surely, that's what you want to know?
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did fully charge it then turned it ON. The issue I had in the car was that it wasn't charging on OR off. When it was on the battery image on the screen disappeared as soon as the ignition was turned on. The light around the on/off button ignited showing it was connected to a power source. After an hour's journey as soon as the ignition was turned off the red battery image reappeared. In the off position, after a long journey it looked empty as soon as I turned it on.

I initially thought that as there was a charge going to the device it must be a faulty battery but I'm now thinking it might be a faulty cable or mount?

I charged the battery from the mains in the OFF position and left it 24 hours. I've now turned it on and it still shows a fully charged green battery so the battery is holding its charge and the issue seems to be pointing to the charging in the car.

Having turned it on it lasted about 30 minutes without a power source. This isn't too much of an issue because I always connect it to the car's power source when in use.

It's odd how when I connect it in the car the battery icon disappears and the on/off button is illuminated (showing it's attached to a power source) but it doesn't seem to want to charge the battery. I'll try changing the cable and/or the mount to see what happens.
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running it the car on the home dock using another usb charger ? These charging systems are "smart" and if the charger adaptor does not see what it needs to see it will stop charging but still supply enough to the unit to put the lights on.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I'll check it out, thank you.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem tracked down and solved.

By a process of elimination and much swapping about I have traced the fault to USB/cigar lighter socket.

The satnav is connected to the cigar lighter socket via a USB cable because the original TomTom cigar lighter cable is used in our other vehicle.

The problem is with this cigar lighter/USB connector and I have now ordered a proper cigar lighter cable.

Many thanks to those who offered advice and I'm soooo pleased that my Go 750 is still OK.

Barry
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy days!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: