Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Extension Lead breaks Traffic ?????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Extension Lead breaks Traffic ?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaphod6x942
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Extension Lead breaks Traffic ????? Reply with quote

I am worried that frequent connection / disconnection of the Power Lead to my Garmin 2599 will result in a damaged connector in the back of the unit. I have purchased a very short (20cm) USB extension lead that I intended would stay in the back of the unit moving the place for connecting / disconnecting to a safer point. Unfortunately the 2599 now says the (extended) lead is not compatible with traffic. Can anyone tell me why an extension, not a replacement lead, would cause this, and if possible, how to correct it. Thank you.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the lead contains the antenna, so by putting an extension in the antenna isn't being seen by your device. I've used Garmins for years and never had an issue with the connector so I wouldn't worry.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Extension Lead breaks Traffic ????? Reply with quote

Unlikely as it sounds, there's actually no such thing as a 'USB extension lead' - the USB spec. specifically prohibits them (the reason being, that they might be used to extend the total length beyond that supported). But that didn't stop the Chinese from making them (and putting an official USB logo on them). In practice, they can be useful - so long as they are 'good' quality - i.e. decent sized conductors for the power, twisted pair for the data leads, bit of shielding etc. One thing none of them do, is pass the connection for the 5th pin through to the other end. Traditionally, Garmin have used this to sense a 'Personality Resistor' in the connected device, in order to know what that device is. I reckon that's the most likely reason for your problem.

I understand your concern about the longevity of the USB socket - my very first Garmin Streetpilot C510 was returned to Garmin about a month after purchase, when the USB socket failed. (The C510 didn't use it for power - only for connection to the PC, which I was doing rather a lot of at the time).

At one point, I was buying faulty Nüvi's off eBay and repairing them. Broken screens were relatively easy to mend, but I stayed away from the (many) with faulty USB sockets, as I found them too fiddly to fix. Curiously, most of their owners hadn't identified the fault - they just said "it was working fine, and now it won't turn on". Flat batteries have that effect Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: