Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CN Europe 2017.1 Released.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CN Europe 2017.1 Released.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? I really don't mind paying for my maps - in fact I would prefer to pay for them than use Google Maps - even if it was a monthly fee. And with Garmin we are paying for them (accepting these days they are very low cost)

Why should we wait when others can do it fast - or perhaps if we are not happy we should just move away from that supplier?

In my business I would prefer to know that my customers are not happy with the service and just move away

Currently I am continuing to use Garmin products, but they have to get their map supplier to update and then expedite the map processing themselves

I mean TomTom are moving towards live updates with their maps

They need to either catch up or get out
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the HERE maps on their 'do a correction' website ARE pretty much up to date.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While indeed there are errors reported on Garmin mapping in the years of using them I've only come across the odd few. I've also seen complaints from Google map users that they have errors also.

Unless you've driven every possible route on Garmin and Google mapping no one can really say that one is 'more up to date' than the other Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have had a new bypass constructed recently or a cross roads has been changed to a roundabout and they are not on your map, it makes it a piece of cake without driving every route.
Not that I have not touched on Garmin's sometimes suspect routing.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that wouldn't be on your map. But 50 miles away there's probably a guy using Google Maps also seeing an error where he is. My point is that unless you compare the whole map, and none of us can do that, who can say this map is better than that map?

All I know is that Google map users also complain about inaccuracies Wink
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the various companies get to know when a road layout changes?

I'm still thinking they rely on user reports, then they check. If no one has told them .....
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
eezyrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a message a while back about problems with a lack of traffic info when I was going around in circles in the Calais area. The replies were that Garmin can only update when Info is available to them from the resources that thy use.

Being a Joe Public user rather than an avid techie, I took a step back and analysed the replies and had to admit to myself they were right. Now I see the same sort of replies being put forward in defence of Garmin's lack of haste in offering up to date maps in comparison with competitors.

Whether or not the techies are correct, I have no idea. The only thing I would say is maybe Garmin should look at their marketing strategy. I bought my 1st sat nav after doing a 450 mile trip in a day to get to a ferry in time at Le Havre. I had more stops for map reading than you could imagine.

I did my research and bought a nuvi 310. I've since replaced it with another Nuvi. I bought Garmin because it gave me the impression it would get me from A to B with no problems. It doesn't and there are problems. Maybe Garmin are guilty of not making Joe Public aware that this is not a failsafe device.

Of course, like everything, with experience one becomes aware of these issues.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point that I was making was that the HERE (Navteq) on line 'map corrector' show quite recent changes to road layouts and new road. Garmin have released maps since my local road addition has been added to the HERE map, so why is it not on the latest Garmin release?
It's not HERE that are tardy, it's Garmin.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point, where I have noticed any changes and checked on HERE or submitted a report it's generally been included in the next map release, but it takes sometimes two map releases depending on where in the cycle everything is.

It's not as simple as just issuing the map, which it would be if it was a straight paper copy. Producing an electronic map that works correctly, is encrypted etc etc isn't trivial Wink

I suspect that's partly why Garmin have now moved to three rather than four releases a year since the map files, junction views, active lane guidance etc mean the maps have increased substantially in size and complexity over the last few years.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all the bells and whistles that are of limited use at the expense of accurate and up to date maps. That works for me. Not.
"Keep to the right hand lane" my satnav tells me. So does the bloody big sign alongside the road or on a huge gantry over the motorway. Rolling Eyes If the satnav indicates a right turn or fork, which other lane would you get into?

Taking data from one source and converting into another format IS trivial once you have the algorithm for doing it. It's getting the algorithm right in the first place that's time consuming and possibly even difficult, not the actual processing.

Encryption, pah, simples, even Watsap are using it now so that the various national security agencies find it extremely difficult to intercept terrorists' communication. I don't care who reads my stuff, and if I did, I would use my own (third party) encryption.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I don't care who reads my stuff, and if I did, I would use my own (third party) encryption.

Yes, I can never see the reason folks get fussed about this, unless they're up to no good of course. In a past life I was involved with folks who work out of Cheltenham and their American counterparts, neither have the time or staff to worry about what Joe Bloggs is saying to John Smith, unless of course they're crims etc Very Happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

"Keep to the right hand lane" my satnav tells me. So does the bloody big sign alongside the road or on a huge gantry over the motorway. Rolling Eyes If the satnav indicates a right turn or fork, which other lane would you get into?

Having just returned from 2 weeks touring the East Coast of the US I actually appreciated the various instructions I was getting from my nuvi. On some of the complicated interstate junctions working out where to be and where to go wasn't trivial, and my Garmin made things far easier.

I agree that in the UK some of the info you get isn't needed though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: