Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 3598 Graceful (or disgraceful) failure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 3598 Graceful (or disgraceful) failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Garmin 3598 Graceful (or disgraceful) failure Reply with quote

This is just a tale.

We went to Germany last week. My 3598 was set for Faster but gave a significantly longer time to go compared to the in-car GPS. In the final hour the in-car system routed me via the autobahn in an arc to reach my destination. The Garmin continually tried to chose the shorter slower route. Each time we ignored the Garmin the re-route gave a shorter time to go.

Then we went on a trip. Both GPS got us to our destination with no dramas. Returning the Garmin ignored the autobahn used on the outward leg and sent us all round the houses for almost an hour.

Then a few days later we set off for home. For the first time I have seen it it showed my position and tracked my progress but declined to give and navigation instructions "Awaiting better satellite reception". I tried a brief power off/on but that made no difference. Then I tried a full power off. When asked if I wanted to switch off I said Yes and it switched off.

It then stayed off. It stayed off for a couple of hours. When we stopped for lunch in Belgium I tried again and it came back on and continued to work until we got to Rotterdam. It still managed to disagree with the in-car system however; on one occasion it opted to a bridge and a bit cross country whereas the car chose the tunnel and the shorter faster route. Smile

It was also the first time I had seen the 3598 switch to night display as we went underground.

Was I glad we had 3 satnav with us although we didn't use the third.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it needs a master reset Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you use the third one? Don't you trust it? I use all three of mine, but not the fourth (TomTom) on the iPhone - that's real rubbish!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: