Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2699LMT-D. So is it the Smartlink app or Power Lead??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2699LMT-D. So is it the Smartlink app or Power Lead??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: 2699LMT-D. So is it the Smartlink app or Power Lead?? Reply with quote

Got the new 2699LMT-D. I now know how to do the POI's and the Speed Camera database thanks to answers from more knowledgeable persons here than me. Have tried to get an answer to my latest query I have trawled through pages of QandA's here and I think that I am now brain dead whilst leaving me still unclear on the answer. Having read endless stuff here I think that I need to ask now. So here goes.

On the 2699 I thought that the constantly updated traffic data was issued through the phone app, Smartlink. When that is loaded on my fone it asks for your location to be switched on and you obviously use up some of your phone data allowances every time you make a journey... I think. Somewhere here it was also stated that the in-car power fag lead is some sort of aerial and that also gives you your traffic updates.... I think. So which is it? As I don't have the telephone to my ear as most younger guys appear to do these days, my fone allowances are not all that great (cheaper monthly bill) so to get rid of the Smartlink app appeals to me if not required as I really don't need all that other stuff on it. I just want to get from A to B with reliable traffic info and that's it. In fact I much prefer to have my telephone switched off when driving.

So can I get all my free traffic updates on this 2699, (every one minute duration it tells me !!?) through the fag lighter lead ONLY or do I require the Smartlink app to be switched on? (which becomes 'live' the moment the bluetooth connection is made) Maybe I require both to be working !!. Which of these 2 options is the better? Do I require the Smartlink app at all? Ah' complications, complications. Its all questions and answers on this new Sat Nav. But I shall get these in the end hopefully thanks to you guys. Thanks in advance.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lead will give you digital traffic, so no need to use the smart phone app.

Just to clarify this. The receiver is built into the nuvi itself, the 'power' lead as well as providing power acts as the antenna. You won't receive traffic unless the power lead is plugged it and powered.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2p

If possible use the traffic cable to use the Inrix digital traffic.

Why - the Smartlink traffic comes from viaMichelin and is flooded with out of date roadworks, or at least it is in my area.
The problem is that the roadworks appear to be filling a buffer that stops the latest traffic reports getting through.

Inrix have an app that allows users to report new and cleared problems. viaMichelin have no such facility to report clearances.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
The lead will give you digital traffic, so no need to use the smart phone app.

Thankyou. Getting rid of this app will make my day.

However there is now another problem which has arisen which I shall highlight when I give my thanks to Kremmen (below)
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
My 2p

If possible use the traffic cable to use the Inrix digital traffic.

Thanks Kremmen. As a fellow user of the same Sat Nav Model as my recent purchase I value your opinion as judging from your postings on the 2599 you have already been there, done that etc etc.

There is one other problem now (perhaps for a different posting) Did a round 100ml trip today and was able to test all aspects of this 2699LMT-D. Until the first stop it was great, including sound which surprised me. However after stopping for 20miniues or so, switched the car back on and this unit now tells me that the Power Lead is not suitable any longer for Traffic Updates !!!! Would you know why that is please? I cannot understand that as this 26699 has been with me a fortnight on several journeys with no problems. I had thought that perhaps the unit needs registering somehow in order to qualify for the free traffic data! Maybe that's the problem. What I do know is that negative thoughts are now starting in my ol' grey stuff. Thinking to myself that I have 30 days to either accept this unit or take it back from whence it came.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of reasons why you could be getting that message. Was the cable powered at the time? Also what software is installed?

A recent update created similar messages and a newer update has now corrected it, at least for the 2xx7 and 2xx8 models. I believe that an update is due for the 2xx9 models. More info here

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=96423&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software is 8.20 according to the Express, and yes the unit was powered up at the time. In fact when you start the car it powers up auto and likewise when the engine is switched off it shuts itself down auto. You can of coarse also switch on/of as normal. The Power lead, or Traffic Receiver as Garmin prefers to call it, was working fine. Its the lead with a blue light. No bulge. According to the Garmin website, 'if the LED light is on then its connected'. Well my blue LED light was on so no problem there then.

That's the trouble with Sat Nav's. When they go wrong there's nothing you can do is there? Ref my recent TT 1500. These units are certainly life wasters. I think a return to shop is called for. Let them sort it out. I'm getting fed up.

Thank you for the link. Appreciate your time.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've not fully powered it down I'd try that. Those that simply go to sleep, like your model, can exhibit strange behaviour occasionally that is cured by a complete shut down and restart.

Must say I've never found satnavs to be time wasters, and can think of many occasions when without them it would have cost me time. Guess it's a question of balance as in most things in life Wink
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
If you've not fully powered it down I'd try that......
Must say I've never found satnavs to be time wasters

Already did that 'sussamb'. Have done numerous full shuts downs on several occasions........ remembering your comment on that aspect from other postings that I have read from you.

Regarding time wasters. Agree with you entirely.... IF and WHEN they work!! After that its a bin job. At the moment I suspect that your unit is working without hassle.... but the time may come. Sad

Thank you for the suggestion however. Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you recently upgraded the firmware to 8.20 ?

From the reports both the 5.20 and 8.20, depending on model, are causing traffic cable issues.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doodallybloke wrote:

Regarding time wasters. Agree with you entirely.... IF and WHEN they work!!

Guess I've been lucky, I currently have 5 Garmins, 3 for cars and two handhelds and have had Garmins for around 7 years. Never really had an issue except once when a handheld failed, replaced under warranty without hassle, and once (my error) when I installed a corrupted 3rd party map onto my nuvi's internal memory without thinking, when I should have put it on the card just in case! That required a 3rd party program to get it into pre-boot mode so I could remove the offending file.

Last edited by sussamb on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Have you recently upgraded the firmware to 8.20 ?

From the reports both the 5.20 and 8.20, depending on model, are causing traffic cable issues.

Yep, that was the point of my post about 6 posts up together with the link detailing the problem Wink
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now changed it. It was the Power lead or, to give it's correct title, the Traffic Receiver lead that was faulty. Had the usual 'discussion' as to whether I had damaged it (so that they could blame me of coarse) but as they could not find a mark on it anywhere, the whole unit was exchanged. It s now working again.

The moral to this tale... be careful that you do not bend or kink this lead as cleanly its just as important as the unit itself.

Thanks to all that tried to help me. Smile
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Mine's coiled up under and behind the dash and has been subject to bit of rough handling and is still AOK.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: