Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can you isolate indvidual Custom POI's on a 2699
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you isolate indvidual Custom POI's on a 2699
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Can you isolate indvidual Custom POI's on a 2699 Reply with quote

Recently bought a new 2699LMT-D Garmin. It is different insomuch that you have to be careful with this Sat Nav of what you actually load into the unit by way of PGPSW custom POI's as it would appear to me that every POI that you load on the unit will show up on the map. Whereupon on the TT units you could a load the complete sets of POI's from here and then tick off the sections in the TT that you do not wish to show....... but keeping them in there just in case you require them at a future time. ie: a Builder Supplier up North somewhere or maybe a Car Part Supplier or similar if I were to break down in Devon perhaps.

I can find no way to DL full folders of POI's from here into the unit and isolate sections from within those file, and have therefore confined myself to just a few POI's. What with the inbuilt Garmin POI's (which I don't appear to be able to isolate either) and my Custom POI's the driving map just appears to be a complete mess if I load to many.

I think I know the answer already but can a whole section of POI's be loaded and then various bits isolated within the unit? If they can't then that would appear to be somewhat inferior to the TT units, accepting of coarse that the new TT's have a different POI strategy these days (or so I believe). Thanks.

Last edited by doodallybloke on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer you think you know is correct, you can't isolate individual POIs.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my 2599LMT-D was the same - my custom poi icons all over the screen and at all zoom levels.

So what I did was to reduce all the Tourist icons to 1 x 1 pixels. Now, the Tourist icons don’t show on the screen, but if you search for the nearest ones (Where to … Custom POIs) you can see the shaded radius of each selected one’s location and how to get there.

I left my speed camera icons alone, so they are always visible.

Dales.
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Nice one Dales Reply with quote

dales wrote:
So what I did was to reduce all the Tourist icons to 1 x 1 pixels. Now, the Tourist icons don’t show on the screen, but if you search for the nearest ones (Where to … Custom POIs) you can see the shaded radius of each selected one’s location and how to get there.

Nice one Dales. Thank you. Pity that we cannot do the same on the inbuilt Garmin POI's. I drove (must have been mad!!) into the centre of Bristol yesterday and all I could see on the Garmin unit was a mass of blue 'knife & fork' .bmp's indicating eating places etc. Extremely distracting and unnecessary in my view. I wish I could delete all those Garmin POI's and have just the PGPSW POI's in there. Anyone know how to do that? These Garmin POI's appear to dominate the map/screen, especially in the built up areas. City of Bath being another example of to many .bmp's showing up all at the same time. Pointless.

Anyway as an extension to your answer Dales you could keep the POI's that you wish to see as a 22x22 .bmp (or smaller even) and alter the others down as you suggested. Mind you 1x1 is a bit drastic... ha, but I get the valid point entirely.

Dales I'm sure that your answer will help others coming over from TT and the TT Forum (like me) to the Garmin units as this Sat Nav's functions are most defiantly different. Its just getting to know how to use the different buttons and what these units are capable off.

For those that worry how to reduce the 22x22 .bmp, the free inbuilt Microsoft 'Paint' in Windows will do that very easy..... as I'm sure other programs will as well.

Thanks again.

Last edited by doodallybloke on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can select to not have any of the Garmin icons to display, just switch the layer off in Settings, Map and Layers
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You can select to not have any of the Garmin icons to display, just switch the layer off in Settings, Map and Layers

Thanks for the reply 'sussamb' but not in the Garmin 2699 I fear. Where you have suggested it's........

Up Ahead Places
Traffic
Trip Log

The Up Ahead Places only can be customised using 3 out of any 6 listed, but then maybe I'm looking in the wrong place !!!

Wish I could turn them ALL off or better still just delete the whole bunch. I'm still looking but I've turned this unit inside out by now, and I can't find the button to switch them off.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. On my 2508 it's places along the road and so hides all the POIs Confused

Here's the Garmin FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B69477cf0-cabc-11e0-cf56-000000000000%7D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've turned all mine off on the 2599 so all I see is my large 44x44 speed icons. Hopefully the 2699 has the same options as the 2599.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I've turned all mine off on the 2599 so all I see is my large 44x44 speed icons. Hopefully the 2699 has the same options as the 2599.
Same on my 2569. I did at first start scratching my head and thinking to myself "Why doesn't he switch them off?", but it seems it aint as easy as that Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never added loads of POi's but I seem to recall that by adding a set individually via POI it does show up in one of the menus with a tick box option?

I seem to remember my cameras and the cyclops set both having separate tick boxes to show and/or ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's in Settings, Promity alerts.
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

They are identical in every respect, 2699 just being slightly bigger, but all buttons are the same. I know I checked. So much so that I am thinking of buying the 2599 for my daughter. At least that way when she has some sort of query I will know what she is talking about. J.Lewis doing them for 139.99 on a 2 year warranty.......... with an extra £20 to add the 3rd year.

So if you have switched of your Garmin POI's Kremmen what button did you press to switch them off please? That after all is what I am trying to do. Get rid of the Garmin POI's and just have the PGPSW POI's on there that I require. I note that all of the PGPSW speed database goes straight into the Cutom POI's as does the POILoader stuff

As 'sussamb' has indicated the Proximity alerts are the Cyclops sound files which I am well aware can be switched on/off. In fact the Garmin Cyclops .gpi 'sample' speed camera file, in my case, I have been removed completely to rely solely on the PGPSW database which is now the only button that I have ticked on as my 'cyclops' button/box doesn't even show up any longer. I assume that if I ticked that button 'off' then the PGPSW database would be silent..... but that's for another day.

To get the Garmin POI's to switch off maybe switch off 'Up Ahead Places'. Time for another test run methinks.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've removed the Cyclops camera files you won't see that button anymore so that behaviour is normal. If you untick custom POIs you won't get alerts, as you thought.

I'd certainly try unchecking Up ahead places. It's in the same menu as Places along the road so it's possible that Garmin have simply renamed it.
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I'd certainly try unchecking Up ahead places. It's in the same menu as Places along the road so it's possible that Garmin have simply renamed it.

You could well be right. I shall be going for that drive tomorrow.

Have a fiddle on the road !!
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's it.
Remove the tick in Up Ahead Places, and the Garmin icons will not show.

You can check this in your chair at home:-
Just turn on the GPS Simulator (Settings..Navigation) and try a test route through your nearest town.

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: