Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Express
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Express

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Garmin Express Reply with quote

Tried to update the 2599 map this morning but GE told me I didn't have enough 'computer room'

On checking it was right.

I only have a 120GB SSD C:\ drive and it was down to 3Gb.

Checking closer, of that 120Gb C:\Program Data\Garmin\ had 52Gb of that total.

I must have opted for updates to the device and PC at some stage. Deleted the Map and Firmware items and I now have 57.5 Gb spare room.

= Watch it Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't clean up after itself! Also, if you download maps to your computer, it is worth uninstalling the previous ones as well.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will be checking after every update from now on.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Express Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I only have a 120GB SSD C:\ drive and it was down to 3Gb.

Checking closer, of that 120Gb C:\Program Data\Garmin\ had 52Gb of that total.

I encountered the same problem and solved it by using a symbolic link to move the data somewhere more appropriate.

Code:
C:\ProgramData} mklink /d Garmin D:\Application\Garmin     {-- something like that

I'm in the process of doing a system-rebuild as part of a Windows 10 upgrade. I'm fairly sure that when I re-installed Garmin Express it asked where to store map data. I don't know if that's a new 'feature' - or whether it always did and I didn't notice ;-)

Last edited by PhilHornby on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same memory as me then Very Happy I can't remember whether I opted for comp & device. I tried looking it up and it says you can only check your options when an update is available.

When it does I'll check and adjust

I've resisted Win10 till I know what their pricing model will be (not to mention the interface).
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I've resisted Win10 till I know what their pricing model will be (not to mention the interface).

Well if you've currently got Win 7 or 8, the cost of an upgrade is nowt! ... which is quite appealing Very Happy

You can always claim your free upgrade now and then uninstall if you need to - then re-install at some future point. (Apparently, a 'fingerprint' of your system is stored at the Microsoft end to identify you, rather than a Windows 10 Serial No. being issued).

I doubt you'd uninstall because you don't like it, but you might hit some other snags.

In my case I had to migrate several virtual machines from VMware to Hyper-V at the same time as upgrading the host - which was entertaining.

(At some point I will have to give up on trying to run a DataCentre in my back-bedroom - but old habits die hard!)

»
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my Win7 install is supported FOC till 2020. I have a feeling Win10 may require a subscription for updates before then.

I've been following some journo's blogs about M$ reluctance to answer direct questions re future pricing models so I'm waiting.

I have it on a test rig and I don't like the tiled start menu. It has Candy Crush as one of the games. Can't be uninstalled, just the shortcut removed.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Win10 on my laptop, tried it, didn't like it and reverted back to Win7. There is an option to do so. Couldn't find any ill effects Smile
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disliked Win 10 and it's snooping so much I went back to Linux. No map updates or Kremmen's csv converter for me then.
HeyHo! Paris, Madrid and London are still where they have always been.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are third party tools out to stop the data uploads and trim the start menu.

In the meantime just watch out every patch Tuesday for that kb~3385 and untick and hide it. If you don't it will try and install Win10.

I've no doubt in the end I will get it but only once I get a new PC which isn't till 2019/20.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make sure that you can get drivers for scanners, video cards etc. before you install. Also each user should go into the privacy settings and untick all the information you are supplying to MS FOC!

Over Christmas, I set up a PC for a pensioner which came pre-installed with W10. She didn't want internet access etc. so I was getting rid of a lot of stuff. I was surprised when I went into the Privacy settings as to what was being sent out.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct re the drivers. Some manufacturers have been very slow on the hope that some will buy new hardware.

The bottom line for sceptical me is that there is no such thing as a free lunch and the way M$ are pushing this with dubious tactics sends me a strong message.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be cautious about the upgrade to Win 10. It might seem free but MS are after data to "profile" you which they use - not unlike Google or Apple. It takes a bit of searching to find how to disable the info MS collect and even then I'm not sure if it's 100% switched off.

The other issue is partially around drivers and partly around the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) whereby Windows can access your BIOS as it were. I'm not fully conversant with it all but I ended up having to buy a new mo-bo as the upgrade trashed my UEFI to the extent I was not able to access, re-set, re-flash or factory restore it. The system halted during the upgrade saying there was no OS or C: drive, but the DVD drive and USB ports worked. This happened during a restart of the Win7 to Win 10 upgrade. Some techies seemed to think this was not possible but eventually those in know said this was not unknown.

On installing the new replacement mo-bo, the untouched C: drive was found and after some 20 minutes and several restarts, the upgrade completed

Also, if you have an active guest account on Win7, the upgrade to Win 10 does not like it and will foul it up. You are best removing it from Win7, upgrading and then recreating the Guest (Visitor?) account.

Make sure you have a backup of anything you consider vaguely important (not just images and documents but fonts, contacts, emails, settings, licence numbers, &c. &c.) before letting Win 10 install.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: