Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CES 2016 - Four new Nuvis launched - renamed as Drive.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CES 2016 - Four new Nuvis launched - renamed as Drive.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: CES 2016 - Four new Nuvis launched - renamed as Drive..... Reply with quote

From Garmin's press release.

Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the worldwide leader in satellite navigation, today announced the new Garmin Drive™ product line – easy-to-use portable navigation devices (PNDs) specifically designed to help increase driver situational awareness. The launch of this new lineup marks a significant step forward in the evolution of PNDs from Garmin with four intuitively named models: Garmin Drive™, Garmin DriveSmart™, Garmin DriveAssist™ and Garmin DriveLuxe™. The 2016 Garmin Drive product line is being showcased in the Garmin booth (South Hall 4 #35811) at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show.

“The most exciting development of the new Garmin Drive line is that driver awareness features typically seen in luxury vehicles are now accessible as an aftermarket solution for all drivers,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “There are many distractions that drivers encounter while running errands, driving to work or taking road trips. These new driver alerts can remove some of these burdens and help drivers stay aware on the road.”

The entire Garmin Drive lineup boasts a number of driver alerts to encourage safer driving and situational awareness. This includes warnings for upcoming sharp curves, railroad or animal crossings, alerts for users driving the wrong-way on a one-way street and more. Drivers also receive red light and speed camera1 alerts as well as vital timesaving traffic information with fast-approaching traffic jam notifications.2 For longer routes, a fatigue warning alert suggests potential break times and available rest areas or places to stop.

In addition to the new driver awareness features, Garmin Drive includes preloaded data from Foursquare® POIs, adding millions of popular stores, restaurants and more. Various models offer options for lifetime maps3 and traffic updates.4 Other features designed to simplify navigation include Garmin Real Directions™, which guides drivers using recognizable landmarks, buildings and traffic lights; and Easy Route Shaping that lets drivers modify a route to include preferred cities or roads by touching the navigation screen.

The Garmin DriveSmart boasts all of the features from Garmin Drive and adds customizable smart notifications that allow drivers to display calls, text messages and app notifications on the navigation screen.5 Voice-activated navigation and Bluetooth® wireless technology for hands-free calling6 allow drivers to keep both hands safely on the wheel. Garmin DriveSmart can also access real-time services such as live traffic and weather radar through the Smartphone Link app.7

Garmin DriveAssist builds on the Garmin DriveSmart and includes a built-in dash cam to serve as an eyewitness. The device continually records and automatically saves video footage on impact with the included microSD card. The integrated camera brings in more advanced driver awareness alerts, such as the Forward Collision8 and Lane Departure Warnings.8 Additionally, Garmin DriveAssist integrates the new “Go” Alert, a camera-assisted feature that notifies distracted drivers when traffic ahead of their vehicle begins to move. As drivers approach select destinations, Garmin Real Vision™ unveils a camera view on the screen of the device and an arrow points out the specific destination.

The stylish Garmin DriveLuxe is an impressive premium navigator housed in a beautiful forged metal design. Powered with a sleek magnetic mount, the Garmin DriveLuxe delivers innovative navigation features and adds HD Digital traffic4 – the fastest traffic avoidance solution offered by Garmin, with updates as often as every 30 seconds.

All Garmin Drive devices can be paired with the Garmin BC™ 30 Wireless Backup Camera (sold separately) to easily see behind a vehicle when moving in reverse. Garmin Drive devices may also be paired with the new Garmin babyCam™ in-vehicle video monitor (sold separately, or bundled with Garmin Drive 50 USA LM) to view backseat passengers on the navigation screen.

The Garmin Drive lineup has models in different display sizes with various map regions and navigation features. Suggested retail prices range from $129.99 to $349.99. The Garmin Drive product line is expected to be available in the first quarter of 2016
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussamb posted similar yesterday.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=96407

If the DriveAssist doesn't have a washing line aerial I'll have a closer look. If it does I see no point changing my 2599.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that I have with these satnav/dashcam devices is the position that they must be fitted to preform both functions. To be a sensible dashcam they must be placed somewhere that they have a clear sight of the road ahead. The best position is high up on the windscreen without blocking the driver's view of the road. But this is an awful position for a satnav.

The best place for a satnav is low down at the bottom of the windscreen or lower so that they don't block the driver's view of the road. On my car, the bottom of my windscreen is quite a long way from me and too far for the sensible mounting of a satnav.

I have my dashcam mounted discretely behind my rear view mirror and my satnav is mounted on my dashboard just below the windscreen. I can conveniently reach and see the satnav and it does not block my forward view.

Still, I suppose that peeps won't take any notice of the fact that a combined device must be fitted where it blocks vision just like they don't at present. It's amazing the number of satnavs that you see fitted right in the forward view of the road. I used to have a small compass attached to my windscreen, and every MoT test, the testers took it off, as it was classed as an obstruction to vision.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

I'd like to see some pictures/video of a combined unit dashcam footage from the top of the dash.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The problem that I have with these satnav/dashcam devices is the position that they must be fitted to perform both functions.

I got a DashCam for Christmas and I'm still figuring the best positions for it, and whether to re-locate the SatNav or not.

Like you, I can't reach the bottom of the windscreen from the driver's seat.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: