Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My TT 1500 has gone completly haywire since the last update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My TT 1500 has gone completly haywire since the last update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: My TT 1500 has gone completly haywire since the last update Reply with quote

Well this is my first post here on this forum, although I have lurked here for a few years. I am somewhat hesitant as there are some very clever people here. I hope that I don't make a complete fool of myself.
Anyway did the last map update etc a couple of weeks ago. Since then my 1500 with EU maps is all over the place. I have Map 1 on my unit.

I tick to remove most, maybe 80% of my POI's from showing on my TT screen. These POIs DL from here on PGPSW. So far so good. I update the camera database from here to my Desktop but now have to Dl to my TT in sections of around 20 at a time from the Decktop. (used to be all in one go!) Also notice that the UK camera database for my TT map on the TT website has gone missing. Not really to worried about that but it always used to be there as an option! After all my PGPSW updates I have a quick check of my voice warning and they are all gone. They are in my TT but missing from their 'gatso' warnings. So I reset them again... ie: to 40 gatso etc etc. That's it and switch off.
Switch on next day and find that ALL my POI's are ticked once again and that ALL my speed camera voices are missing from their relevant gatso, mobile section once more. So did a reset with the drums and once again removed POI's and added the voice warnings once more. By now you have the gist of it. Read some FAQ here but find some answers confusing for my older grey matter.

So my question is this. Has TT done something to the POI stuff and verbal warnings recently? Had absolutely no problems at all with my TT 1500 prior to the last update. The verbal warnings I do require as I would not like to drive any car by constantly looking at a Sat Nav, any Sat Nav. The Garmin forum here, if I understand the answers!!, I think tells me that their units still carry those all important verbal warnings. Anyway any help to my problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My TT 1500 has gone completly haywire since the last upd Reply with quote

doodallybloke wrote:
The Garmin forum here I think tells me that their units still carry those all important verbal warnings.
Not by default. You have to do a bit of jiggery pokery that is really pretty simple (once you have done it once) to get spoken warnings, otherwise you just get bongs.
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Don't mind a bit of 'jiggery pokery' to be honest as long as I get some sort of noise warning. In Bristol here (where I am) traffic speed controls are everywhere. Need these verbal warning as concentrating on the road here is pressure enough.

Just found the post from 'sdm197' which appears to mirror similar to what I am experiencing, except my drum reboot does nothing at all. Anyway from the Garmin forum I think I require some sort of program somewhere which will do the job for me. A challenge to the ol' grey matter perhaps? Going into Halfords tomorrow have a look at these Garmins.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no doubt Kremmen, our Garmin speed camera expert, will be along in a bit to tell you all about it. Providing you are OK with jiggery pokery on a PC, you should be home and dry. He had developed a program that converts the database from here, by some magical means, to something that's seriously useful for Garmin users with adjustable warning distances and spoken alerts.

Start HERE
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again 'M8TJT' I look forward to reading anything from 'Kremmen' with interest.

Oh and thank you for the link that you posted as well. Haven't a clue how you did that but it did work.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You called ? Very Happy

Once you've read through the guide come back with any questions. I totally agree with you that clear spoken warnings telling you the camera type and speed are considerably better than a non descript 'bong'.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doodallybloke wrote:
In Bristol here (where I am) traffic speed controls are everywhere. Need these verbal warning as concentrating on the road here is pressure enough.

A tip from Keynsham - look out for red white and black round signs with numbers on them, then concentrate on making your speedometer stick just one notch less. I've been doing that in Bristol for over 40 years and it works quite well. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one DennisN. I'm Bristol South, just down the way from you on the dreaded A4. I shall be in Halfords, Brislington tomorrow looking at Garmins. Have now spent to much precious time on this TT. Time for a change methinks. I read that its the 2699 to go for. Never had one before so its a learning curve. Always been a TT man myself previously. Still have an old 550 that is working perfectly.

Thanks for your reply.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, be aware that the bus lane cameras outside Halfords are live and monitored on bank holidays.

Save yourself a load of cash AND hassle - use the GO550!

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2699 if you want a 6" screen or the 2599 for 5"

I did consider the 2699 but I have my seat as low as it will go and I'd probably look like Chad with just 2 eyes peering over the top Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Save yourself a load of cash AND hassle - use the GO550!

I would Dennis but the maps are way of of date and they want £47 odd to renew plus its only 4" screen as you probably know. Volume is terrific on it. My better half uses it in her car for driving locally. However we all have to go way up North, like Newcastle, to visit daughter/grandchildren VERY soon. That's why its so inconvenient for my TT 1500 to go wrong now.

From what see and read its all free maps, free traffic etc etc these days. Even some newer TT models I believe. Defiantly quite a few of the Garmins. If I dont like what I see or hear tomorrow then maybe paying TT for the new maps for my 550 is the way to go. We'll see. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by doodallybloke on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
2699 if you want a 6" screen or the 2599 for 5"

Don't mind quite frankly........... as long as it works!! I wish that my TT 1500 had a backup facility as my 550 does. Have to access that however through the older HOME 2 website panel. Gives a load more options in there.

Thank you Kremmen.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, VERY sadly, my GO 700, ten years old, has given up the ghost. My GO 550 gave up the ghost. Otherwise I'd still be using them both. I bought a GO 6100. It has lifetime free maps and lifetime free HD Traffic, but it's not a patch on the 550 - it's too slow, too quiet, won't run the PGPSW cameras, the functionality is so far behind the 550 it's horrifying. It gets dashboard space for the HD Traffic and in the hope that one day it might (just might) work when the others alongside it fail (lose satellite lock).

Repeat - keep the 550. I've been on TTs since my first in 2005 and I hated the one Garmin I tried.

I toured Europe with my 550 - it'll get you to Newcastle easy peasy. I did a few hundred thousand miles with mine.

doodallybloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been around a month since my 'newish' TT 1500 started giving me all sorts of problems. I tried this and that. Rebooted a million times. Took out POI's etc etc., and I still cannot get the thing to work. Its very frustrating and a huge life waster. Having, in the past, had something like 4 or 5 TT's altogether and think that its a safe bet to state that I have always been a true TT man. Regretfully no longer after reading up about the newer models and their restrictions. So I have bought a Garmin. A Garmin 2699LMT-D to be precise and it is most defiantly a learning curve.

Well my thanks to 'Kremmen' and his 'CVS to GPX Convetor' program I have now re-installed the PGPSW speed camera database once again and feel better for it. At least the new Garmin has some form of limited gaurantee with it in case it goes suddenly wrong.

As DennisN has suggested I have kept my old and most reliable TT 550, but feel that the annual £48 subscription is now somewhat dated given that the new Sat Nav's all come with free maps, traffic and so on. Thank you to everyone here that was prepared to help me but from now on I suspect that I shall be on the Garmin Forum. Thanks again.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

TT and Garmin both have their good and bad points but the TT lack of third party camera support was the clincher.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: