Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic news in France
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic news in France

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eezyrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Traffic news in France Reply with quote

Just had a bad couple of days travelling across to France and Belgium.

I have a 2598LMT-D . It picked up that the M20 was closed and diverted me accordingly. In France lorries were stacking on the motorway at the Tunnel, Calais Ferry and for the Dunkirk ferry both sides of the motorway.

I travelled up to Belgium yesterday evening and back to the hotel. The m/way was down to one lane and at times standing still.

This morning I left the hotel to get to the tunnel and was directed to a slip road that was closed. The nuvi gave no traffic news through the entire portion of the trip in France and Belgium and consequently no alternative routes. The only thing I did notice was that lane closures on the m/way were showing in red on the route map.

Surely traffic news is supposed to work in Europe?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it does but the traffic system there isn't as good as in the UK. Your satnav can only display info it's given, thankfully I find there are far fewer traffic problems in France so lack of reports isn't generally a problem.
Metblackrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used smartlink traffic in France in the summer and it was very accurate, even giving the precise location of debris and broken down vehicles.
eezyrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Well it does but the traffic system there isn't as good as in the UK. Your satnav can only display info it's given, thankfully I find there are far fewer traffic problems in France so lack of reports isn't generally a problem.

Thanks for the replies.

I generally avoid cities in France so I am inclined to agree. However one of the reasons I bought the 2598 was that my old and much loved Nuvi did not have traffic info and I found myself going round and round Rouen trying to find a way out after it kept trying to put me on a main route that had closed 9 months earlier and no longer existed.

It appears from what you are saying that the 2598, due to an unreliable traffic news feed, is just as likely to leave me stranded.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2598 as well and it did a good job near Calais a few months ago when the strikers blocked the Autoroute. The blockage etc showed up.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 2598 and really appreciate the French traffic info. Sometimes, as kn uk, it will tell me about problems that are so far away that they have ceased to be a problem by the time we get there. I guess the OP was unlucky..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: