Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting Garmin Nuvi 40 Voice Alerts to work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Garmin Nuvi 40 Voice Alerts to work?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Getting Garmin Nuvi 40 Voice Alerts to work? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Can't find the answer to the above on the Forums...sorry if it is there.
Have downloaded the current Speed Cams Zoned, downloaded the Voice mp3 files. I used the POI Loader to install; that reported successful install. Still no voice/verbal sounds play, just the original dong. Any info would be appreciated. Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wav not mp3
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you need SOX.EXE in the same folder as POILoader.
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
And you need SOX.EXE in the same folder as POILoader.

Sorry, I don't know what SOX.EXE is and POI Loader is what I downloaded from the Garmin site. I have managed to get all the Speed Cams in, but cannot get either mp3 or wav files to load into the device via POI Loader. When I try loading wav files, I get message unsupported file. With MP3 I get the message from loader must be .csv or .gpx files? Tried putting all on a micro sd card, loading card into the Garmin, but it did not ask if I wanted to save the files to the Garmin Device... Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That failure message does mean a missing SOX.EXE

Garmin won't tell you about SOX but we will. If you perform a search here there are quite a few posts with links to the correct version.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
That failure message does mean a missing SOX.EXE

Garmin won't tell you about SOX but we will. If you perform a search here there are quite a few posts with links to the correct version.

Thanks for that post; found it loaded into POI Loader, but it still only loaded the Speed Cam info into the Custom POIs on the Garmen. Should I try splitting all 99 files up into sub folders of say 30 files in each as I am sure that there aren't 99 items in the Custom POI's on the Garmin....around 32 I think I read on here that 32 was max without them being in subfolders Rolling Eyes
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably No, don't split them, it's not necessary. You are probably still doing something wrong. Tell us what Garmin you have for a starter.
You need three files all with exactly the same filename but with different extensions.
xxxxx.CSV
xxxxx.BMP
xxxxx.WAV
Al the first bits xxxxx must be identical.
Sox.exe is not 'loaded into POIloader, but p[laced in the same folder as POILoader.

Its about time we had a definitive method of doing this as a sticky in the Garmin forum. It's asked so many times, and rather than pointing somone at the definitive method, 'we' explain it all over again. The method on the download page HERE should be the one, but it doesn't mention sox.exe at all, let alone a link to download the corect version.
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Probably No, don't split them, it's not necessary. You are probably still doing something wrong. Tell us what Garmin you have for a starter.
You need three files all with exactly the same filename but with different extensions.
xxxxx.CSV
xxxxx.BMP
xxxxx.WAV
Al the first bits xxxxx must be identical.
Sox.exe is not 'loaded into POIloader, but p[laced in the same folder as POILoader.

Its about time we had a definitive method of doing this as a sticky in the Garmin forum. It's asked so many times, and rather than pointing somone at the definitive method, 'we' explain it all over again. The method on the download page HERE should be the one, but it doesn't mention sox.exe at all, let alone a link to download the corect version.

I have 3 of each file; .CSV; .BMP & .WAV. SOX is in the folder of POILoader.

I read about the sub folders here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-garmin.php The section I read is towards the bottom of the page, ref. Windows users........
"However, we have become aware more recently of a bug that seems to affect Windows POILoader users only.

"When you install POIs using Garmin's POILoader software, the task completes without error and tells you that it has successfully installed xx,000 POIs."
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscargrouch wrote:
Thanks for that post; found it loaded into POI Loader, but it still only loaded the Speed Cam info into the Custom POIs on the Garmin.

You cannot SEE the voice files in the Custom POIs on the Garmin.
But if they are being installed correctly, they should work and the .gpi file (on the Garmin or SD card) should be much larger than before.

Double check that sox.exe is in exactly the same folder as POILoader.exe (eg in C...Program Files(x86)...Garmin...POI Loader).

(If sox.exe is absent or in the wrong place, my POILoader issues warnings that the .wav files could not be converted).

Be sure that all of your .csv .bmp and .wav files are all together, loose, in your cameras folder, and not in any sub-folders.

Dales
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
Oscargrouch wrote:
Thanks for that post; found it loaded into POI Loader, but it still only loaded the Speed Cam info into the Custom POIs on the Garmin.

You cannot SEE the voice files in the Custom POIs on the Garmin.
But if they are being installed correctly, they should work and the .gpi file (on the Garmin or SD card) should be much larger than before.

Double check that sox.exe is in exactly the same folder as POILoader.exe (eg in C...Program Files(x86)...Garmin...POI Loader).

(If sox.exe is absent or in the wrong place, my POILoader issues warnings that the .wav files could not be converted).

Be sure that all of your .csv .bmp and .wav files are all together, loose, in your cameras folder, and not in any sub-folders.

Dales

Where do you find the .gpi file on the Garmin menu? The sox.exe is in the same folder as POILoader.exe. When you write 'cameras folder', which folder would that be?...Thanks.... Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the bits about the program and home in on the files and the POIloader bits:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=95881

If you are still getting the POIloader error with the wav files then either the filename isn't identical, as per M8TJT post above, the SOX is not the version hosted here, newer ones don't work, or you have the files in a Windows protected area that POIloader can't get at.

Your post indicating that you have the csv, bmp and wav files in the same place as POILoader and SOX would indicate you do have them in Windows\Program Files which isn't a good idea.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
{if} the SOX is not the version hosted here,
But where, exactlty, is the 'right one' located for download.
By default, POILoader installes in C:\Program Files\Garmin (C:\Program Files(x86)\garmin on 64 bit machines. This is the folder that SOX.EXE MUST reside.
Quote:
Your post indicating that you have the csv, bmp and wav files in the same place as POILoader and SOX would indicate you do have them in Windows\Program Files which isn't a good idea.
Create a folder in either your user area or on a different drive. For example (on later Windows installations), C:\Users\{your username}\Documents\Garmin, and put the unzipped camera files there. This will keep the camera data separate from the program files etc. You will then need to point POILoader at this folder for processing.

This is the reason that elsewhere recently I suggested that we have a definitive process, preferably modify the one on the download page to incorporate all the good stuff that isn't already there, with a link to the correct sox.exe, and suggestions as to where to put the various files.
I am not conversant enough with the routines to do this myself, especially the indicated limit of 32 folders in speedzoned etc. (Is it still relevant on later Garmins etc). The guide should either replace the existing one to avoid confliciting Info, or located as a sticky in the Garmin forum area.

The same Garmin speedcam questions get asked over and over again, but we have no easily findable, accurate up to date guide to installation with all the good stuff.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. The procedure is quite straightforward and should be easy to list but I can see the issues if you're new to Garmin.

I unzip my camera files to a dedicated folder on my D\: partition but even that is gobbledegook to some.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But putting them in a folder in 'your User\Documents folder shouldn't be, should it?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That area would be fine as it's read/write but I think a new folder in there is favourite or you're going to have a few dozen unzipped csv, wav and bmp files in there intermingled with any .doc's etc.

Fortunately POILoader allows a totally separate data folder.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: