Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Options on a TT One V3 replacement?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Options on a TT One V3 replacement?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Options on a TT One V3 replacement? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been toying with the idea for a while of upgrading my Tom Tom One V3 which I've had since early 2007, nothing wrong with it but I'd prefer something with a bigger screen etc, for whatever reason I'd prefer a standalone GPS device rather than an app on my iPhone 6.

We're off to Florida soon so a definite requirement is for a device I can purchase USA maps to via Tom Tom's website.

Can anyone suggest which would be a natural successor to my TT please, with the following 'must have's'...

...The ability to import custom POI's, customise the icons & have them shown on the display when in range.

...The ability to add the Speed Camera alerts from this site & have them alert me audibly/visually when nearby.

...The ability to find locations within Google Maps & import them as a Favourite (I do this now via TYRE/Tom Tom Home unless there's an easier or better way).

...If possible, lifetime map updates.

...Lane assist would be nice.

...5" screen as a minimum.

I'd prefer to stick with Tom Tom, however I could be tempted across to Garmin if there's a more suitable device, I consider myself a light/occasional user & just want a similar device to my current one but with a bigger screen, faster processing etc, more toys if possible.

Budget is £150-ish unless I'm being wildly optimistic for my expectations in which case I'll increase my budget for the 'right' device.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Tony

I'd be lost without it !!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the current crop of TTs work with the PGPSW database, or any custom POIs.

All current Garmins do, and you can get screens ranging from 5" to 7".

As for your other requirements, again Garmin nuvis meet them all, except that Garmin seem to keep changing the way Custom POIs and favourites are displayed (or rather not displayed) unless they are specifically part of your route, so I can't be sure whether or not custom POIs will display on the screen when within 'range', however you determine that range?

What you can do though is use POI Loader (a free Garmin program) to manipulate custom POIs, turn them into what is called 'tour guides' or assign proximity alerts and then they will alert/show on screen at the distance you've specified. Information on that is here:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating_custom_poi_files.jsp#tourguide

but note current models don't have a mp3 player, so you won't get the sound alert mentioned. However there are ways around this, although I've never tried them but there are a number of experts on sound files on the forum so I'm sure they will be able to help should you go the Garmin route.
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sussamb, The Garmin route does sound like it's a bit of a fudge to get custom POI's working especially with sounds (which to me is more useful than an easily missed visual alert).

Just casual browsing today I was kind of swayed towards the TT Go 510 model as this ticks most of the boxes for me.

have TT allowed the addition of Custom POI's recently? ,the article below seems to imply that it is do-able, albeit by using MyDrive from TT.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13814/~/how-can-i-install-or-remove-third-party-pois%3F

Regards

Tony

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, sorry, hopefully a TT user can answer that, all I'm going on are the posts here and elsewhere saying it wasn't possible, maybe TT have now reacted to public demand.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Options on a TT One V3 replacement? Reply with quote

Scoobydooby wrote:
...The ability to add the Speed Camera alerts from this site & have them alert me audibly/visually when nearby.
If you want to navigate to a camera, then that's fine. But if you want to be alerted to them, as I suspect you do then TT lies about custom POIs. Well, doesn't actually lie, but omits to tell the full story.
If you believe TT, then go ahead and get one, but be prepared to be disappointed when you can't do what you used to be able to do on earlier TomToms Confused
At least, if you buy it on line, you can send it back without specifying a reaso. Amazon are best for this technique.
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Options on a TT One V3 replacement? Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Scoobydooby wrote:
If you want to navigate to a camera, then that's fine. But if you want to be alerted to them, as I suspect you do then TT lies about custom POIs. Well, doesn't actually lie, but omits to tell the full story.
If you believe TT, then go ahead and get one, but be prepared to be disappointed when you can't do what you used to be able to do on earlier TomToms Confused

Do Tom Tom's own Camera Alerts give an audio & visual alert then?

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES. But they are reported to not be as reliable/up to date as PGPSW.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom cameras....

First, they are nowhere near as accurate as PGPSW. I run both databases and prove it every day - they don't get new cameras for ages after they have come into the PGPSW database, sometimes not until they've been removed and they don't remove them again for ages.

Second, the audible warning is a simple beep beep, no differentiation between types (mobile, fixed, average speed, red light, redspeed).

Third, they have virtually dropped mobiles and I think they now only indicate mobiles when somebody reports one as active. Sounds like a good idea, but who reports, when and how? - they no longer have the instant report facility.

Fourth, I think you can't specify the warning distance/time.

Fifth, they handle average speed cameras badly and don't recalculate between them.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find them quite accurate (I use PGPSW on my Garmin and TTs own on my TomTom)

They will speak alerts on all the latest models - just select this option from the menu

They do report mobile cameras, when live, and you can report them live from within the new units quite easily. I haven't passed a mobile camera that hasn't shown on my TomTom in 12 months at least to be fair

Having said all for that, I think for your poi requirements a Garmin is presently the best choice if you are looking at only current models
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

They will speak alerts on all the latest models - just select this option from the menu

They do report mobile cameras, when live, and you can report them live from within the new units quite easily. I haven't passed a mobile camera that hasn't shown on my TomTom in 12 months at least to be fair

Having said all for that, I think for your poi requirements a Garmin is presently the best choice if you are looking at only current models
Your comments about TT speed cameras sound like TT marketing - not wrong or lies, just plain carefully crafted to avoid the useful truth.

QUITE accurate is another way of saying INACCURATE. When I drove along M4 last week, the TT average speed cameras drove me mad as I poodled along at 65 without a camera or speed limit in sight. This is THE main artery from London to Wales, not some crumby back street - surely the TT camera team should be onto this like whatsits off a hot shovel. This is NOT an isolated situation, I do over 50,000 miles a year, to all corners of the UK and I assure you that they are woefully inaccurate.

Speak alerts? What do they say? Do they differentiate between 30mph and 40mph, 50mph, etc, etc, etc?

Report mobiles when live - so they have to be reported live by somebody before they report - what happens to the first few drivers who don't report them who have no warning of a mobile site? The PGPSW database will in most cases already be warning of an upcoming location where mobiles are known to operate.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how soon is a live mobile report promulgated to users? If one of the newer model users (as opposed to older models which don't have the capability) quite easily reports a live mobile on an overbridge on the Motorway, how soon do other users get the benefit of the report? e.g. A report at 10am precisely, what time do the following hundreds of users start to be warned?

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

Your comments about TT speed cameras sound like TT marketing - not wrong or lies, just plain carefully crafted to avoid the useful truth.

QUITE accurate is another way of saying INACCURATE. When I drove along M4 last week, the TT average speed cameras drove me mad as I poodled along at 65 without a camera or speed limit in sight. This is THE main artery from London to Wales, not some crumby back street - surely the TT camera team should be onto this like whatsits off a hot shovel. This is NOT an isolated situation, I do over 50,000 miles a year, to all corners of the UK and I assure you that they are woefully inaccurate.

Speak alerts? What do they say? Do they differentiate between 30mph and 40mph, 50mph, etc, etc, etc?

Report mobiles when live - so they have to be reported live by somebody before they report - what happens to the first few drivers who don't report them who have no warning of a mobile site? The PGPSW database will in most cases already be warning of an upcoming location where mobiles are known to operate.

You have got a cheek. I was just correcting your inaccuracies Twisted Evil
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just like TT marketing, you avoid commenting on the useful points I made.

SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 6000 the cameras come up on the right hand side bar. The spoken warning does specify the type of camera, the speed is only shown in the sidebar not spoken, the sidebar colour changes from green to Amber to red depending on how much you're exceeding the limit (or not)

I like the display but I'm only using them as they just gave us all 3 months free subscription with the latest update and I wanted to see if there was any improvement, suffice to say CamerAlert wins every time.
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I thought I'd post an update to this & thank-you all for the feedback.

Having looked at a TT Go 510 in Halfords where I had some 'hands on' & querying the returns policy if I didn't like it (I couldn't unless it was faulty) I decided to order it from Amazon because if I didn't get on with it then I could simply return under the distance selling regs, also it was £10 cheaper.

Initially I wanted to throw this device out of the window, this is because this new TT in no way looked or worked in the way my old One V3 did, I found it difficult to do almost anything but then I'm not one for actually reading the instructions Rolling Eyes .

Having actually bothering to read the manual & follow the official TT videos I'm getting on a lot better with it, my initial findings are below:-

===Good, Loads of POI's pre installed, I'm not sure I now have much use for my own custom POI's as everything I had is now native on the device.
===Good, Nice sized screen.
===Good, I like the mount.
===Good, great value for money with the worldwide maps plus lifetime (TT support lifetime) included.
===Good, spoken street names (only a computer generated voice).
===Good, Traffic alerts (via my smartphone).

===Bad, unable to associate a .bmp with my POI's, confirmed via a support email with Tom Tom.
===Bad, unable to warn by distance to a POI & add sounds, hence why the PGPSW Camera's aren't really much use on this device.
===Bad, No individual 'Home' or POI's on a per map basis.
===Bad, off-putting reflective display.
===Bad, TT switches on when you plug it in to charge, I'd much rather it was as per how TT One worked i.e. you plug it in & press the on/off button if required (or at least make it an option within the menus).
===Bad, I'm finding the Voice Control frustrating.
===Bad, no compass that I can configure to show the heading of my destination.

In summary, I'm going to keep this TT as although in my list above there are more bad points than good & I have a feeling that I'd find things I didn't like about an equivalent Garmin device & I cant see me going back to my TT One now.

Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: