Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 2599 test
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 2599 test
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never delved into the sub folder limit as I just use mine for the cameras.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting because there are more than 32 of those files, or am I getting confused here?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be condescending, but are you 100% certain of the difference between files and folders. This has been a point of confusion to people in the past.
Previous limits for Garmin has been 32 FOLDERS, each of which can contain hundreds of FILES.
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you're not being condescending and I think I may have misread the instructions. I placed 32 files into a folder and used POI loader to put them on the PND. I assumed each 'Category' to be the voice file, image and csv. I take it that's not the case then?
That would mean that all the camera's could go in one file, upload and rename to UK then I can upload EUR ones. Having completed that I could then upload my entire POI's as one to POI folder on the PND?
Is it really that simple?
I should add that I'm not fazed by files and folders, it was the 'Categories' bit that threw me
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's it. You've got it.

(The PGPSW Installation Guide is not good enough, and the PoiLoader error message about "Categories" is very confusing).

In the POI folder on my PC, at the root of the folder and not in any sub-folders, I have all of my camera files, and all of their related icons and all of their voice warning files, all thrown in together. (There are well over 700 of them, because I use Ash10's directional warnings).

I then use PoiLoader to load them to the device (or to the SD card in my case...it's your choice, but the SD card can be whipped out if pulled over abroad).

PoiLoader's resultant .gpi file can be found on the device or the SD card, in a folder called Poi within the folder called Garmin (and the device does need the file to be in that location).

As you say, if you are installing both the UK and Euro cameras, you need to upload them separately, and give them different names on the device eg UK.gpi and Euro.gpi. (Both of these .gpi files belong in the Garmin ... Poi folder on the device / SD card).

If you have any "Tourist" Poi's (eg Petrol, ATM etc, such as those available free from PGPSW) you can certainly load them up separately, or you can mix them in with your UK cameras. I described earlier what I personally do with these, for ease of selecting them under "Where To" on the device. (You WILL need to put these in sub-folders, and obey the sub-folder limits, if you want to have them indexed by the device in selectable groups).

Dales.
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit that makes perfect sense, dales! Very Happy
I'm so thick at times...
No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere with the POI's I'd uploaded. So the categories I sub-folder can be named after their genre such as 'Fuel', 'Food' 'Supermarket', etc similar to how I select them from the lists of POI's on the site? That will totally alter the way I search, for the better.
Have to say I am very impressed with the POI's already loaded onto the device, there's heaps of them!
By the time I have used the 'Kremmen Conversion' on the cameras, I will be looking forward to some great miles ahead, I hope.

Now I wonder how I deal with these odd 3mph and 1 mph zones I seem to have acquired
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's it.

In my own "Tourist" Poi sub-folders (eg A-F and G-Z), I have less than 32 files in each further sub-folder. These are named Accommodation_pgpsw.csv (together with Accommodation_pgpsw.bmp) plus ATM_pgpsw and so on, just as they were downloaded originally.

So yes, I have Fuel, Food and Supermarket etc, and all of these are available to find the nearest ones right now, wherever I happen to be.

Somebody really ought to update the PGPSW Installation Instructions, because first-time people are entitled to be brassed off when they encounter poor instructions.
I would try and help if I could ... MaFt??

3 mph...1 mph that may well be a Garmin glitch rather than a PGPSW one.
You will need to spot the related on-screen warning to discern the warned item in question.

Dales.
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a Garmin-glitch alright.
Right while I have the floor...
I tend to use the 'Speed Zoned complete' download for cams, simply because it's what I used on the TT. Is there a better one for this unit or is that fine?

I think tomorrow night will be POI reload night. BTW, I still need POIloader to get the cams onto the unit despite having the Kremmen Convertor? I can't just copy and paste from PC to PND?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up by Dales.

You need POILoader to convert the CSV/GPX files into a single .GPI. If you want to manually place the .GPI then use POILoader to direct the file to the PC instead of the 'device'.

I would guess that your 1 and 3 mph issue could be occuring if you have numbers in the filename. Get rid of them. That's why I rename Gatso30 to Gatso_Thirty.

I was asked by Dales to look at including the directional warnings in my converter but that would involve a complete rewrite which at the moment....

What it does is announce the camera with it's major compass point direction.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found time to play with the converter and have a question. You stated that you change the file names to text rather than figures.
Won't that mean that I will have to do that every single time I download the latest update?
Oh yes and do I have to put the camera zip file into (in my case) C:\Garmin POI or can I stick it into the POI folder in My Documents?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the converter you chose a working folder. It can be anywhere but remember that POILoader sucks in all CSV and GPX files from that folder and its subfolders. For that reason I use my D:\PGPSW\ so everything in there is Garmin\PGPSW related only.

No you don't have to rename anything after the first setup as long as you just process the camera files. Just download the zip file, unzip it to the working folder and that's it.

Within the dropdown box is an option to just unzip the cameras.

So my procedure is:

Download zip file
Unzip it (I just unzip the cameras because my wav and bmp files are bespoke)
CSV Converter 'Process'
POILoader

Done

Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry about this but as usual, these things don't play nicely with me.
Any thoughts?

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That error points to you not having .net4 client pack.

Which version of the CSV Converter did you download? The latest version is a Microsoft clickonce application that checks for .net4 and if you haven't got it will ask for permission to download it.

Start at the latest post in the converter thread and work backwards for the latest version.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that's possible as still on an XP machine. I did get the files to appear in the converter but I unpacked them first
DEANO3528
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got them on ok by unpacking first. Then used dales' method of categorising and I have it sussed. Thanks for the help with it but I can't help but think how easy it was using explorer on to the old TT's.
And they say that technology will make things easier... Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: