Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 5100 6100 Active Docking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 5100 6100 Active Docking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: TT 5100 6100 Active Docking Reply with quote

I currently mount my 1005 on a Tom Tom Active dock mounted on a Brodit clip onto the dash of my BMW 3/4 series. I have tried to find out if the new 5100/6100 series devices will sit on the same active dock so that I don't need to do any new plumbing. So far I've had two responses from TT which give differing answers. The latest from TT stated

"This is xxxxxxx from TomTom Customer support.

As I Understand you are still unsure of using the same docking system of GO 1005 for your new GO 5100 device .
Yes you can use the same charging arrangement for your GO 5100 device.
I hope that clears your doubts."

Before I take the plunge can anyone out there confirm that the 5100/6100 will sit on the same active dock as the 1005. And yes I know the devices drawback but I think I can live with PGPSW database on an android device and the TT for navigation especially as they all now come with "free updates" and my 1005 is on its last legs and costing me £70 a year to update.

Thanks guys

Alan

PS

I have taken the plunge and bought a 5100. First of all I can now confirm that if anyone out their uses a Tom Tom docking system in connection with a Brodit car mounting clip then the new device sits exactly as it should on the old dock fully secured by the magnet and lug system on the back of the new device. Success and no need to buy any new bits.

Secondly the device is much quicker than my old 1005 both in starting up from its new sleep mode and also when travelling through urban areas. And so far in my area I have had no drop out of live traffic information.

Downfall is of course that PGPSW database cannot be loaded onto it in any meaningful way. However, as I have an android device with the database installed I still benefit from all of the advantages of that system. Yes it would be a benefit if both could be integrated onto the new 5100, but that appears to be some way off if at all possible. What I would say about the TT device is that although I have a built in sat nav in my BMW 4 series it is missing live traffic and of course does not display any speed limits, both in my opinion vital in reducing the risk of inadvertently exceeding our multitude of various limits with missing repeater plates and avoiding the frustration of sitting in queues of traffic.

It's strange that BMW state that they don't want to include speed limits into their nav systems because if they have wrong information then the litigious Brits and Americans would likely sue BMW. What a world we live in!

Oh yes I forgot to mention, TT offered me 25% off list price and £50 cashback as I already had a TT device that was out of warranty. So £144,99 all in.

Last edited by Bunty1948 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
strickers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Go 500 which fits on the Brodit mounts in both of my cars. As far as I am aware new fits old but not vice versa.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: