Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NuviCam 6 - Maximum POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NuviCam 6 - Maximum POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: NuviCam 6 - Maximum POI Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just replaced my Garmin 3598 with the new NuviCam 6 satnav and need some advice on POI capacity.

On our sites help page:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs

It advises not to install more than 257 POI's otherwise a potential non-boot situation may occur. It also recommends the following:-

"It is advisable to install the POIs onto a separate SD Card so if you do have problems then you can remove the poi.gpi file from the memory card from a separate card reader. "

I notice that when I use POILoader software to install my personal POI's it deposits them by default into the "Internal Memory" POI location of my NuvoCam in .gpi format.

The insertable "MicroSDHC" card is listed as "Camera Card" in Windows Explorer on my PC and used 3.57GB of an 8.00GB card at present.

The question is, can I create a new device readable POI folder on the MicroSDHC card and place my own POI's into that folder so the NuviCam can read its content. Also will the camera recorded data potentially overwrite the POI's .gpi when the card becomes full and goes into its 'Over-Write' mode.

I hope this makes sense to our members as I'm not the best at explaining things.

Thanks,

John Confused

PS. The NuviCam has latest software 2.50
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just create a POI folder on the card and place it in there, but having said that POIs take up very little room and I've never had any issues installing them into a nuvi's internal memory.

If you do put them on a card in a POI folder they won't be overwritten by your nuvicam.
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Yes, just create a POI folder on the card and place it in there, but having said that POIs take up very little room and I've never had any issues installing them into a nuvi's internal memory.

If you do put them on a card in a POI folder they won't be overwritten by your nuvicam.

Hi sussamb,

Thanks for your mega quick reply and advice, much appreciated. The thing which was was of most concern is the non-boot potential.

I'll give it a whizz now, then off shopping with my granddaughter; 13 years old, head of a 20 year old, spends money like there's no tomorrow as long as it's not her own. Love her to bits, and she knows it. Very Happy

Regards,

John
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what you mean, my daughter is 13 and just the same Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is 50 and just the same. Nothing changes. Very Happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh CRAP!

My daughter is 23 and I was expecting her to grow out of it anytime soon!. Sad
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
johndanson
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I am blessed with two daughters and three grand daughters
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Know what you mean, my daughter is 13 and just the same Wink

Hi sussamb,

I feel better knowing I'm not on my own where children/grandchildren are concerned, mind you it's cost me quite a few quid again this afternoon with my own granddaughter. I think the saying, "granddad's wrapped around her little finger" comes to mind and fits like a glove.

Now back to the subject of my original post.

POIloader does not seem to have the facility to direct the converted .gpi to the MICROsdhc card, it places it by default into the NuviCAM's "Internal Memory" in a folder named POI.

I therefore created a POI folder on my MicroSDHC using Windows Explorer and copied across the .gpi into it. I then deleted the original .gpi from the "Internal Memory," reinserted to see if my NuviCam will read it.

Unfortunately it doesn't, their is no 'CUSTOM POI's showing up in the 'Categories' section of my NuviCam, I must therefore conclude at this time that the device does not read from the POI folder on the MicroSDHC.

I don't expect to 'over-load' my NuviCam with excessive POI's, although I do have plenty which I use regularly, I can only hope that the device's 16GB of internal memory will accommodate/ buffer them.

Many thanks,

John
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Daughters.

I'm afraid demands on the Bank of Dad never cease.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry should have been more specific, all folders that you expect your nuvi to read from the card instead of from the internal memory need to be in a folder named Garmin, so create that folder and place the POI folder in it.
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Sorry should have been more specific, all folders that you expect your nuvi to read from the card instead of from the internal memory need to be in a folder named Garmin, so create that folder and place the POI folder in it.

HI sussamb,

Thanks once again, I'll give that a whizz later. Off on the school run shortly.

Speak soon with feedback,

John
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NuviCam 6 - Maximum POI Reply with quote

johntee wrote:
On our sites help page:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs

It advises not to install more than 257 POI's otherwise a potential non-boot situation may occur.

That specific warning is extremely out-of-date - it was a bug in the Nüvi 3xx/6xx series, that was fixed long ago. (The bug description was wrong anyway - in a test, the 258th category caused a problem - but it was a coincidence: it was the contents of the category that was the issue. Bitmap colour-depth, I seem to recall)
he also wrote:
The thing which was of most concern is the non-boot potential.

That's always a potential issue with any change you make to a Garmin. Not just Custom POIs, but Maps, voices, vehicles etc and of course, firmware. Where you can test first - using an SD card - it's probably wise ... but it's not always practical.

Garmin don't provide any recovery tools for such situations, but there are 3rd party tools that produce modified firmware that doesn't load the offending item(s). Once you can access the device you can then delete the culprit.

It's been a long time since I had to resort to such measures, but I have a 3598 that got stuck in a crash-reboot loop when POIs were originally loaded. The fault mysteriously cleared itself and (so far) it hasn't happened again.

johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: NuviCam 6 - Maximum POI Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the great info. To be honest I haven't had time to even try 'sussam's posted recommendation, as detailed below. Granddaughter still staying with us and very demanding.

"Sorry should have been more specific, all folders that you expect your nuvi to read from the card instead of from the internal memory need to be in a folder named Garmin, so create that folder and place the POI folder in it."

I don't really like taking risks with devices, but I will try "sussam's" just to see if it will read from the MicroSDHC folder named Garmin and its .gpi.

Cheers for now,

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: