Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Suspect routing.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspect routing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While occasionally my 2508, and my previous 1490, direct me down routes I wouldn't necessarily have chosen when I have driven them my Garmin has been correct, in that it was a viable route (by that I mean it didn't cost me any extra time/distance over the route I would have chosen off a map).

I agree some speed limits are wrong, but then if no one bothers to send a correction where should part of the blame be pointed? At us for not reporting them or completely at Garmin? If Garmin had folks constantly visiting areas to check every speed limit the costs of the units and map updates would be far higher.

At the end of the day satnavs are guides to our routing, not something we should expect to be able to slavishly follow and for it to provide the very route we would always have chosen, since in any case what is correct for one user may well be wrong for others.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:

Sussamb: I don't know what other information I could provide but surely the unit shouldn't want to send me, when I am 40 miles from my destination, over 20 miles in the wrong direction to join its original route at a point 60 miles from my desired destination?

No it shouldn't, and I've never known a Garmin satnav working correctly to do this. Hence my comment about more information.

For example were you following a trip or a route? Had any viapoints been set? What route was programmed in, where did you decide to turn around, where was it trying to send you, etc etc. Without that (and I understand you may not know the exact details) it's difficult to check whether there is a map error causing this or a faulty device. Knowing the full details one of us could have tried to duplicate it.

I've looked at one route based on the information you supplied and guessing some details and my nuvi came up with what looks like a reasonable route.

In any case I can see you've been asked to do a master reset, this is something recommended after every software update or if things don't seem to be working correctly. Good luck and I hope it has resolved the issue for you.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with everything pretty much that has been stated I would also agree somewhat that for the money we pay today - when we typically get a unit, cables, mount, maps and updates for at least 5 years, traffic for the same there isn't much left to pay for someone to check every map change on every road in every country

And the free mapping services will only end up making matters worse

Simple online map reporting tools on every platform is our only hope (and willingness to implement those changes by the provider)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I appreciate all you inputs and fully accept that users should help by informing Garmin of inaccuracies but I'm afraid that there are so many, I could drive around for weeks solely doing this.

Sussamb, FWIW, there were no via points set, and as for 'trip' or 'route', I don't understand the difference in them as all I did was enter my home postcode and follow the route provided.

I was in the locality of SA41 3UY which is along the A487 between Cardigan and Fishguard (this isn't recognised as a place name on my Garmin unit or even the aa.com) and I inputted the postcode SA14 8QF which is a hospital in my area.

My unit suggested I go in the opposite direction to that which aa route planner has just told me to head in the Fishguard direction and to turn left at 52° 0'58.93"N 4°47'58.05"W. It was at THIS point that I decided that enough was enough because I am fed up with travelling these single track roads so I turned around and travelled as far as a right turn signposted Narberth (which I know is heading in the correct direction).

When I turned right at 52° 0'31.62"N 4:43:20W I eventually got on to the A40 at 51°48'43.13"N 4°44'44.78"W but throughout this last stretch, my unit wanted me to turn back showing that I was the 80+ miles from destination whereas I was under 50 miles away.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started from Dinas Cross, not sure how close that is to where you were, and my nuvi took me onto the B4313 then along the A40 then the A48 and the M4, seems quite sensible to me.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has to be a reason why different Garmin units give different routes when on the face of it the software and maps are the same.

I know on PC's you do need to reboot or stop/start most programs to get them to use the new code as it holds the old code in memory. As posted earlier though I thought the unit rebooted after each update.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't do a full master reset unless you tell it to. TBH it's never given me an issue so I rarely master reset but it is the time honoured first action should there appear to be an issue after an update.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started from Felindre Farchog (per the postcode), and my nuvi sent me back for 1 mile towards Fishguard. Then it took me left on a minor road for 3.5 miles, joining the B4329 below Brynberian, followed by the B4313 etc.

This does seem a reasonable route, and it shows correctly on the screen..

...but the nuvi's directional instructions just do not correspond at all.

It says that the first minor road is the B4329 (when it isn't)
It says the next turn is the B4313 (when it's the B4329)
to be followed for 6.4 miles (when it's 3.5 miles).

Dales.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit I didn't look at that but unless you drive the route you won't know which is correct, the nuvi or the map you're using to check it all. Possibly a mixture of both but provided I get turn left/right I never worry about road names/numbers.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
I started from Felindre Farchog (per the postcode), and my nuvi sent me back for 1 mile towards Fishguard. Then it took me left on a minor road for 3.5 miles, joining the B4329 below Brynberian, followed by the B4313 etc.

This does seem a reasonable route, and it shows correctly on the screen..

...but the nuvi's directional instructions just do not correspond at all.

It says that the first minor road is the B4329 (when it isn't)
It says the next turn is the B4313 (when it's the B4329)
to be followed for 6.4 miles (when it's 3.5 miles).

Dales.

Whilst I respect opinion, that route certainly isn't reasonable. If I were to turn off along the minor road, I don't know, until I have turned on to it, how long I'm going to be travelling along it.

My wish is that I am not sent via single track roads. – coming up against farm machinery or indeed other cars and squeezing past them or needing to reverse etc etc – when there is another road, allbeit very slightly longer in distance which allows free-flowing passage each way.

I hate saying this but routing via TT is far superior, having owned and used one for many years. I’ve owned the Garmin for just a month.

Let me just give this example in which Basecamp gives me the correct and common-sense route: I know this road very well having driven along it for close on 43 years. It is the B4309 being one of the routes from Llanelli to Carmarthen.

For demonstration use only, start journey at SA15 4HA with the destination as SA31 2AF.

Basecamp suggests the route that I would take using local knowledge - the B4309, a two lane road with one lane in each direction, for its’ entire length then onwards via the A484 - Perfect!

My Garmin tells me to leave the B4309, at Five Roads by travelling along ‘Heol Hen’ then forking to the left along ‘Herberdeg Road’ where I should turn right to join the B4137, travel for just under a mile and rejoin the B4309 at Pontyates – the road I left at Five Roads.

It's .1 of a mile difference. Now, tell me that is reasonable!
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
Whilst I respect opinion, that route certainly isn't reasonable.

I am a complete stranger to the locality. I am merely trying to see what is wrong with the mapping (and it does seem badly wrong).

Simply looking at the map, I would suppose that the best way, is the one you actually chose !!

These things need reporting so Garmin can sort them out. But when it's so difficult to explain to them, they are liable to move straight on to the next topic.

Dales.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
Let me just give this example in which Basecamp gives me the correct and common-sense route: I know this road very well having driven along it for close on 43 years. It is the B4309 being one of the routes from Llanelli to Carmarthen.

For demonstration use only, start journey at SA15 4HA with the destination as SA31 2AF.

Basecamp suggests the route that I would take using local knowledge - the B4309, a two lane road with one lane in each direction, for its’ entire length then onwards via the A484 - Perfect!

My Garmin tells me to leave the B4309, at Five Roads by travelling along ‘Heol Hen’ then forking to the left along ‘Herberdeg Road’ where I should turn right to join the B4137, travel for just under a mile and rejoin the B4309 at Pontyates – the road I left at Five Roads.

Just done this on my 2508 and it follows the route you suggest, along the B4309 and then the A road, so the issue seems to be with your device. Whether it's a device problem (have you tried the master reset) or a slightly different routeing algorithm on your device is impossible to say at the moment. Need someone with your nuvi model to try it!

Another thought, although unlikely to apply in this case, is I always run with TrafficTrends and myTrends disabled as while they work well for some I prefer not to use them. You are also, I assume, using the latest map?
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussamb - if you look at the start of this thread, I have been in touch with Garmin helpline and indeed done a master reset and, as instructed by them, reinstalled the latest maps (the latest maps were installed already).

I really hope it's the device and not the norm.

You mention 'Traffic Trends' and the ability to enable or disable them. Can you tell me how I get to that setting? I'll try anything!

dales - I hope you didn't take my last post as offensive as it isn't meant to come across that way - all input is welcome ;-)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do I do that on my 2569?
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For comparison purposes I tested the route proposed by topref on my 2460 and 3598.

The 2460 (bless it) suggested the route one would probably choose from a road map.

The 3598 offered two routes: one, exactly the same as topref's; and one that stayed on the A484 longer, but then used Bolahaul Road, Roman Road, Babell Hill, Priory Street, Bronwydd Road, i.e. it suggested driving through Carmarthen Centre rather than using the parallel A40! Possibly being different from option 1 just for the sake of being different, maybe.

I would say that - based on only two units, granted - the newer unit's routing has not improved on the older unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: