Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2598 - unreliable fastest routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2598 - unreliable fastest routing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I've always found that on all SatNavs, opting for the shortest route for example does just that regardless of common sense.

My current built in unit, by Alpine, has an option where is displays 5 routes and you select the one that you fancy but even then you need to watch out.

Honda have now ditched Alpine and gone Android Garmin so that will be a new experience if I px next year as I only use my standalone Garmin for the Traffic and cameras.

As you say, you have to ignore some instructions and often not blindly follow what it tells you.

Sorry - I omitted to say that the Garmin is set to Fastest Route. I never use Shortest because it will ALWAYS use the tiniest roads if it wil save a few metres!
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
It's worth looking at the 3 options offered by your nuvi when you do a simple Where to and choosing the one you prefer.

Personally though I tend to use trip planner app and create a route with sufficient via points so that I can avoid any minor deviations that don't make sense.

Having said all that I've used my 2508 a lot in France and rarely had issues. Are you able to remember any of the routes you had issues with?

I haven't noticed the 3 options. My 2598 appears to only offer one route. How do I enable the 3 options?
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2598 tries to take me off at Burgh Hill and back on again!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
I haven't noticed the 3 options. My 2598 appears to only offer one route. How do I enable the 3 options?

When you do a Where to and select a location there is a bar that says, routes then i in a circle then Go. Instead of hitting Go hit routes ... you'll then be given a choice of up to 3 routes, giving distance and arrival time and showing them in different colours on the map. Tap the box to select a route.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:

I have just updated to unit software 5.00 and tried a very graphic example navigating from Bagneres de Luchon to Castelnau Maognac. When we were leaving Luchon the 2598 wanted to take me along the D918 and over a couple of passes to reach Tarbes. I ignored that and headed North using main roads. For nearly half an hour the Garmin tried to turn me round and send me back to the D918. Eventually it gave up and accepted my route which gave an ETA nearly an hour sooner than had been shown as I left Luchon initially!

Following the update to 5.00 I have just tried the same trip. It has actually sent me the "right" way instead of via the D918 so perhaps Garmin have actually sorted the issue. Time will show!

Or there was an earlier glitch in your software, but whatever the reason glad it appears sorted.

While I've had the odd case where my nuvi has suggested what I'd consider a strange route choice on occasions when I've followed it it actually wasn't bad, sometimes even better than the one I'd assumed would be better. The case you cite though doesn't seem right, but by the sound of it won't happen again Wink
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
I noticed that my 2598 started doing silly routes even if set to 'fastest' after a map update in about October of last year. For example, to get from Heathfield to the A21 it used to take me down the main road until I got to Hurst Green. After the update, it tries to take one through a whole load of single track roads after Burwash to get to Hurst Green. I wonder if they have put a speed limit of 60 mph on those roads so the system now thinks they are quick.

I cannot follow your route but my 2598 from Heathfield to Sevenoaks gives me:
Turn left onto Newick Lane
Bear left on road to Stone Cross
Turn left on Stone Cross
Take roundabout to 2nd exit
Take second exit to A267
Turn right on London Road
Then it main road to A21.

Does not sound like lots of little roads.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
inspiredron wrote:

When you do a Where to and select a location there is a bar that says, routes then i in a circle then Go. Instead of hitting Go hit routes ... you'll then be given a choice of up to 3 routes, giving distance and arrival time and showing them in different colours on the map. Tap the box to select a route.

Thanks for the reminder - I have seen that before! Doh!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTFM Very Happy
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
Allan_whoops wrote:
I noticed that my 2598 started doing silly routes even if set to 'fastest' after a map update in about October of last year. For example, to get from Heathfield to the A21 it used to take me down the main road until I got to Hurst Green. After the update, it tries to take one through a whole load of single track roads after Burwash to get to Hurst Green. I wonder if they have put a speed limit of 60 mph on those roads so the system now thinks they are quick.

Turn left on Stone Cross
Take second exit to A267

Newick lane becomes a single lane road and that route is taking you via Tunbridge Wells and is not the fastest route by about 30 minutes!

If you go to Hurst Green (A21) from Heathfield, you will see what I mean after Etchingham station.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
RTFM Very Happy

WFM? Shocked
You have to go to Garmin's web pages to download one nowadays, and then find it on Page 4.
Though I have to admit there are help screens and it is mentioned there!
As I said, I had seen it before but had forgotten. Crying or Very sad
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you don't. There's a help button in Apps. Click on Navigation, Starting a route, Previewing multiple routes and its explained there Very Happy

You can also open those files in your browser on your PC if you prefer to view the help files that way, or even copy the folders to your PC.

Ooops .... See you mention the help screens

Last edited by sussamb on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
inspiredron wrote:
Allan_whoops wrote:

Turn left on Stone Cross
Take second exit to A267

Newick lane becomes a single lane road and that route is taking you via Tunbridge Wells and is not the fastest route by about 30 minutes!

If you go to Hurst Green (A21) from Heathfield, you will see what I mean after Etchingham station.

Well - that proves both our cases then! If Newick Lane becomes single track and if the "Fastest Route" is about 30 minutes longer than the route that you would favour what is wrong with the Garmin algorithms - even with the latest software update - which sussamb hopes has cured my problem but which clearly has not.

However, if I do what you ask I only get a very few instructions:
Go NE on Theobalds Green,
Keep left on A265
Turn Right onto A21
which seems to accord with sussamb.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
RTFM Very Happy

WFM? Shocked
Nice one Cool
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been unhappy recently with the limited options Garmin offer. Recently while driving in the Isle of Wight and Cornwall where I was very unfamiliar with the roads, I ended up ignoring the Garmin's instructions when it was clear I was turning off a major A road into lanes which had passing places or width restrictions. In fact the place we were staying at recommended ignoring all SatNav directions and gave a route which was a major road all the way to end of the drive.

I previously used IGO8 which had an option called "Easy". This was not necessarily the fastest or shortest route, but narrow or minor roads were avoided unless essential near the destination.

I'd love Garmin to introduce such an algorithm, and also to use road numbers where possible, rather than road names, as they correspond to road signs.

I've posting this on Garmin's ideas page: http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/form.html
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that as long as you don't do a simple Where to and then Go it's best to use the Trip App and look at the 3 routes on offer. You can then choose which one you prefer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: