Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map detailing.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map detailing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Map detailing. Reply with quote

I am a convert to Garmin and have found, in the first two weeks of use, that many of the speed limits displayed whilst travelling around are wrong. I can only speak of my own area (West Wales) but there are roads here that have had the same speed limits since I have held a licence and they have not changed in all that time, but my Garmin shows a different figure.

One example is that I could move from a 30mph area into a 40mph area but the Garmin shows the whole length of the road as a derestricted 60mph. Also, many of the derestricted areas have been done away with (especially Carmarthenshire) and have been replaced by an almost blanket 50 limit. These maps seem years out of date.

Is there an easy way to notify Garmin of all these inaccuracies? And how long do they take before acting on information received?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can report map errors through Basecamp or direct to HERE, who supply Garmin with the map data, at least for now.

https://mapcreator.here.com/mapcreator/50.79289,-0.35507,10,0,0

While I see the odd error most of the time the speed limits on my nuvis are correct. As for time to the error to be corrected, it would be at least months, probably 6 or more.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I do voluntary Ambulance work and on my travels today, I found such a vast amount of inaccuracies, it would be impossible to remember them all and submit corrections. Garmin need to change the company that supplies these maps as it beeps when it thinks I am over the speed limit when I am actually UNDER the limit, and long standing roundabouts are missing.

The maps used by the other lot are far superior IMHO.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you are but I've only encountered a few inaccuracies, over many years, and could never say I've found a 'vast amount', whereabouts are you?
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My home is Llanelli, Carmarthenshire and my routes today were mostly to the north of the county then into South Powys (Brecon) then along the A470 to Cardiff. Most of the inaccuracies are in my county. I don't know where the map suppliers get their info from but they are way out.

I have also read with interest the thread '2598 - unreliable fastest routing' and can empathise when the unit wants to send me on narrow windy roads only to rejoin the road that I am already on a few miles down the road. Mine is set to fastest but entering such narrow roads naturally forces the car speed down but, because the road is derestricted, as Kremmen said, common sense routing goes out of the window. I'm never going to go back to the other lot but I'm frustrated as things stand.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know that area well but I occasionally visit the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia for walking and can't recall seeing any real problems. I agree some narrow country roads can be an issue, that's something most satnavs struggle with unless you have one of the ones designed for truckers, caravanners etc.
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you updated to the latest map - expect you have but worth asking?

Over the last decade or so many local authorities extended and/or added speed limits, (so many here in E Anglia) maybe not surprising there are some still not mapped.

Some models allow you to add speed limits but when I've used that feature in the past adding too may slowed everything down - and you could only add a single limit between nodes IIRC.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: