Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin file system seems to be read only
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin file system seems to be read only
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin file system seems to be read only Reply with quote

Having got my 2569L?MT-D, I decided that I didn't like some of the spoken direction syntax such as "Drive to the end of the street, then enter the roundabout.". I prefer 'road' to 'street' and 'go into' instead of 'enter' Etc. So I set about finding where this was done, and found it in Internal Storage\Voice\English_British_Serena.vpm (amongst others).
Opened in a text editor (Edit Pad Lite), there is a big load of gobldey gook at the start of the file, then further down proper text stuff for the TTS engine.

So I got on with it and edited a bunch of stuff and saved the resulting file (after making a backup on both the device and my PC). This worked OK with satisfying results, and the file date is now 28/06/2015 16:38 reflecting when I first edited it.

I decided to do some more editing, but now find that when I try to open the (any) file from the Garmin, I get the warning that the files is marked read only either because it is stored on a read only medium, or it is in use by another application. (I didn't get this to start wit).
I can create folders in the Voice folder on the Garmin but cannot save files to it. I uninstalled Garmin Express thinking it might be that, but it isn't.
I have tried it on three computers now, my W7 lappy on which it's read only, my W8.1 desktop which it's read only and my W7 desktop where it is R/W OK. I have GE on the lappy, I have uninstalled GE from the W8.1 machine and have not had GE on the W7 machine at all. The first time I tried it the other day, I could edit the files on my lappy, but that was before I installed GE.
So the question is. What have I screwed up and what do I have to do to enable me to get read/write access to the internal memory on my lappy or W8.1 machines?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this before. Right click the Voice folder and check the properties. In there should be a couple of checkboxes with one of them being the read only box.
If that's not checked then look higher up the tree.

If that fails to reveal anything then you will need to have a look at the security settings, also in properties, which has read and write and other permissions settings for all users. See if that reveals anything.

If it is in there then just set all users to have full access.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. Not read only. already checked that. There's not anywhere higher up the tree.
IO suspect it is something to do with GE. On the computer that it works OK on, the windows ding dongs twice and the Garmin shows up as a drive on the second dingdong. On the two that are read only, it only dingdongs once. Weird.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The times I've seen this is where normal files have been burnt to a CDR and then copied back. Because the CDR was read only the file attributes were copied back.

So this isn't all PC's, just 2 of them, so it's a PC anomoly.

Thinking cap on....
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the first editing on my lappy OK. But since putting GE on it, I no longer can. t W8 machine has had GE on it, but I uninstalled it. Don't know whether the edits would have worked on that one or not before GE.
Can you edit the files on yours?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can hang on till tomorrow I'm going to have a look at the unit priveleges I have when the Garmin is plugged in to the PC.

I'm going to home in on the Security tab initially and I'll post some screenshots for a comparison.

I haven't edited any files, just removed the foreign ones to free up some space.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the files were read only on the unit, then surely it would make no difference which computer it was connected to? However, if they were 'in use' buy GE, then that would do the trick, but I have uninstalled GE from one of them, so there must be something about GE left skulking around is my thinking.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a program called unlocker that will show if it thinks any files are locked and what by. It can also release the lock if found.

Have you tried unplugging the device and replugging it back into another USB port during the error?

I'm just thinking out loud things I would try.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
However, if they were 'in use' buy GE, then that would do the trick, but I have uninstalled GE from one of them, so there must be something about GE left skulking around is my thinking.

I've never heard of GE 'locking files'.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further investigations. This gets weirder.
I have full control of the Voice folder. I can cut the unwanted voices out of it, and can write a copy of Serena back into it which overwrites the one that is there OK.

On both the machines that give the problems, if I try to open the Serena file in Edit Pad Lite (EPL) or Notepad (NP), when I go to the file ~open menu in EPL I can see the files on the Garmin, but when I go to open them, they don't open at all. In NP, when I double click the voice folder (in the file~open menu), the folder opens but shows no files.
I have associated *.vpm files with EPL, so when I double click the files on the Garmin, they open, but as read only (as a temp file in my user profile).

I have tried disabling the Garmin start up tray service on the machine that I still have GE on, but that has no effect either (other than to stop GE opening when I plug in the Garmin).

On my W7 machine (the one that I havn't put GE on), I can double click the file on the Garmin and the file opens in EPL and I can edit and save no problem.

The work around on the machines that are giving the problem, is to copy the file off the Garmin, edit it then copy back. But that's a bit cumbersome and shouldn't be necessary.

Can you try opening one of the *.vpm files on the Garmin to see if they open for you no problem please?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my list for tomorrow Smile

Did unlocker reveal anything? Another stab in the dark is do you have UAC turned off?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just opened Serena using notepad from my 2508 without issue, so still a mystery why yours won't open Confused
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change the unit to mass storage mode you can access the read only attributes of the individual files.

In the default mode all you get is an information box.

Stolen from Sussamb:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K.

The MPT mode wasn't where you said, but I found it and set to mass storage from AD, and the files now open OK. Wow.
Mystery is why did they stop in the first place. I guess for some reason something must be making the AutoDetect make it go into the other mode.
Now to investigate developer mod a bit more Very Happy

How strange is that? I reset the MPT to auto and it all works properly. Files open OK and GE boots up when I connect to either of my PCs that it wasn't working on. Thanks for the pointer.

Now to find where some of the other voice 'instructions' are. I changed lots of stuff in Serena, and some of them have worked and some haven't. Sad
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Thanks K.

The MPT mode wasn't where you said, but I found it and set to mass storage from AD, and the files now open OK.

Great you've sorted it. Where did you find the mtp mode please, as Garmin must have changed it on your model of nuvi. The instructions Kremmen posted have worked for a while on all nuvis.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: