Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What's best?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What's best?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your inputs. I'm going to list my TT Go 6000 on eBay in the next few days as I've had it with TT's lack of customer service and their lack of customers' practical requirements. They are so full of bulls**t with lots of false promises. Trouble is, I'm just one brick in the wall and it would take a lot more to make a similar stand before they act. The software they used with my old TT was perfect for my needs but they've gone backwards. I don't care about any agreements they may or may not have with map providers. TT are such a big company and, dare I say it, a market leader, that they should have been wagging the tail and not the other way round.

I'll rely on my iPhone 5s for speed cam POI's and directions for the time being until I decide on which Garmin to opt for.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TA cable is almost invisible behind the dash. I had a stroke of good luck because I looped it, against recommendation, and cable tied it to a metal dash support bracket.
The bracket seems to be acting as a signal booster because I'm getting an almost perfect traffic signal.

If you use Smartlink then you may have a problem. The ViaMichelin data with respect to roadworks is seriously flawed. They are quick to add roadworks but very slow to remove them. I was showing roadworks that I know where at least 6 to 9 months out of date. I looked both online and their phone app, both allow you to inform them of roadworks but both have no method of telling them they have finished.

I also found that the unit seems to have a capacity. Under ViaMichelin I counted over 200 roadworks reports showing in West London which seemed to be taking over the real traffic reports. The vast majority of those were obsolete.

Smartlink used to be really good and accurate but they did something Summer 2013 and since then roadworks dominate.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you use Smartlink then that is your Bluetooth link used so if you connect your phone to a handsfree unit - tough because you can't do both.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
The other thing to bear in mind is that if you use Smartlink then that is your Bluetooth link used so if you connect your phone to a handsfree unit - tough because you can't do both.

On most modern phones you can connect to multiple Bluetooth devices simultaneously - I can connect my in car Bluetooth, garmin smartlink, tomtom 6000 data AND my smartwatch every day without a problem, and still arrive in work over an hour later with 100% battery

If you wish to use Smartlink and your car Bluetooth for speech then you need to switch phone features off in the Nuvi Bluetooth menu, just allow data
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HTC One M7 only allows one BlueTooth connection.

When I initially had both devices paired it was a race to which one (Garmin or car handsfree) would grab the link.

Whichever one it was the other reported no connection.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
My HTC One M7 only allows one BlueTooth connection.

When I initially had both devices paired it was a race to which one (Garmin or car handsfree) would grab the link.

Whichever one it was the other reported no connection.

Have you tried switching off the phone function on the Nuvi, just allowing data - then both SHOULD work - I used to have a HTC One and it functioned just fine with more than one device, as I remember. Obviously if you leave the Nuvi to allow handsfree too, then you will have that race to the start you are talking about!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no need now as I've got the TA cable working but at the time I did disable the Nuvi handsfree as I use the car system as it's easily controlled by steering wheel buttons.

Second reason I'm happy 'as is' is because Smartlink is now pants (technical term)
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run both together, which used to be a problem with crashes and switching from ones data to the next every minute or so, but now seems to merge quite well (I think!!!)

But you are right, the DAB Traffic works really well independently as providing you are in an okay coverage area (seems to be most places) it picks up very quickly and of course has a lot less coverage or drop out issues than mobile connections currently

I just wish Garmin would merge the data their end of that both would get all the data - otherwise I will probably keep too going just in case Laughing
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that I'd found the ideal unit - the 3598, but seems it was possibly a Ltd edition. Anyone have an idea when a new model might appear?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the owner reports here before deciding on a 3598. Used to have a graphics issue and it has a separate washine line style aerial.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Garmin have no intention of replacing that premium series. The 'high end' model now is the nuvicam.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Will wait until Halfords (or others) have one of their satnav discounts.
Chigman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Look at the owner reports here before deciding on a 3598. Used to have a graphics issue and it has a separate washine line style aerial.

Absolutely love my 3598 Very Happy No issues at all apart from the very first few trips that I did with it when it grey screened twice. Not a single blip since I am happy to report Cool

Steve
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Amazon are advertising 3598's for £220 and they are in stock. What should I do?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if that's the one you want I'd get it.

Personally I feel the 2xx8/9 series offer better value for money with the bonus of a built in digital traffic receiver so a less unsightly power cable.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maplin have a clearance sale on with Garmins in the list.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: