Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First real trip with nuvi 2599: couple more questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First real trip with nuvi 2599: couple more questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: First real trip with nuvi 2599: couple more questions Reply with quote

Today was the first time I really needed to use the nuvi 2599 for a medium trip.
First impressions, love it! Overall very pleased with it.

The mount is so much better than the tomtom go 910,in all manners. The nuvi is half the weight of course (and half the battery life....) but with the pivot point so close to the centre of mass compared to the 910 that has the ball joint a whole arm's length away from the weight, it (nuvi) is so rock solid stable. No bouncing up and down over every bump, or sagging by the end of the trip.
Easier to fit too, with the lever. So much better.

One thing I couldn't find is any way to nav to a postcode using voice command? Can that be done? She wanted a house number, which ikea didn't have...
One on the keyboard I was away quickly.

Leaving home (and approaching home on way back) she wanted to take me a back Road to the main road. Routing preference is fastest route. I wouldn't choose the roads she did as they are hard to pass a car on. There doesn't seem to be a more suitable routing option? Otherwise the routing was very good.

I noticed the view ahead is a lot further than the 910 was. It fooled me into turning early at a roundabout, and wondering why she said 2nd exit and showed 3rd! I shall learn to get used to it, I don't want to change the default view scale as I like the view overall. Just mentioning.

I see it kept a breadcrumb trail like my handheld device does. Was quite cool. How do I delete that? Or will it be cleared next time?

I liked the auto night colours in tunnels. I turned that off if the 910 had it, as it would stay on night in the day and was very annoying.
I did notice on the out journey it changed 100m or so in, then back 100m or so out of the tunnel. All as I would expect.
However on the way back, it changed to night colours a second before I entered the tunnel, and back the instant I exited.
Does it learn where tunnels are? Has to have done. Does deleting the breadcrumb trail delete that knowledge too?

The POIs on screen were a massive help. Found a nearby cafe so easily. Ability to change to another on screen from the one initially chosen on voice command was excellent.

When do the POIs like food and petrol get updated for closed down and new ones, is that part of the map updates?

Also,it was showing mobile speed camera zones and fixed cameras. Where does that info come from? Is that part of the maps too? Or do I have a one time 'free' speed camera database?

Finally, on this section, am I ok to post an Amazon link to a good garmin softcase I got for mine that I am very pleased with?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: First real trip with nuvi 2599: couple more questions Reply with quote

tenchy wrote:

I see it kept a breadcrumb trail like my handheld device does. Was quite cool. How do I delete that? Or will it be cleared next time?

It's not cleared but you can switch it off under Map & Vehicle, Map layers, Trip Log

I liked the auto night colours in tunnels. I turned that off if the 910 had it, as it would stay on night in the day and was very annoying.
I did notice on the out journey it changed 100m or so in, then back 100m or so out of the tunnel. All as I would expect.
However on the way back, it changed to night colours a second before I entered the tunnel, and back the instant I exited.
Does it learn where tunnels are? Has to have done. Does deleting the breadcrumb trail delete that knowledge too?

No idea, sorry, I keep mine on daylight mode

The POIs on screen were a massive help. Found a nearby cafe so easily. Ability to change to another on screen from the one initially chosen on voice command was excellent.

When do the POIs like food and petrol get updated for closed down and new ones, is that part of the map updates?

Yes

Also,it was showing mobile speed camera zones and fixed cameras. Where does that info come from? Is that part of the maps too? Or do I have a one time 'free' speed camera database?

Yes, it's a one time free database, you'll see the files in the POI folder. Note Garmin will also give you a free one months trial to update that database.

tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: