Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Time to switch from TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to switch from TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
On my Via 135 if I select 'Navigate to' while indoors, where I seldom get a satellite fix quickly, it offers the option to 'Use last known location' and states what that is. It's always the last place the device had a fix.

That's what I was thinking of Anita. It was a great feature and one the Garmin doesn't appear to have Sad

Some more anomalies today, to do with the camera database. I joined the M25 at South Mimms ( http://bit.ly/1cNHdDg ), travelling towards the Dartford crossing. I got no camera icon or voice alert on the first hadecs, neither did I get any notifications for the hadecs at Waltham Cross or on the North circular at the Redbridge underground flyover ( http://bit.ly/1KZGNot ). I de- activated the auto zoom to see if the screen was being too overwhelmed with information, but they didn't show on the way back either (the M25 ones anyway). What I did notice though is that with my TomTom, the cameras used to display on the screen all the way from the top to being passed. The Garmin seems to only show the icons when about 1/3 mile from them, so I have usually seen them before being alerted to them. Any ideas why the icons are not displaying on the road when it comes into view at the top of the screen please?

Thanks

edit to add: I noticed yesterday some cameras missing from the M6 around the M42 area, but again thought it was a busy screen. They have always been shown on my old device and I assume they are using the same information?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
On my Via 135 if I select 'Navigate to' while indoors, where I seldom get a satellite fix quickly, it offers the option to 'Use last known location' and states what that is. It's always the last place the device had a fix.

On the Garmin once you set it to simulation mode it will also use the last known location.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some funny routing and I got lost in Newcastle today because of the thick white line showing which road to go down, covering 2 different roads. Planning a route avoiding the Tyne tunnel took me through some traffic filled area today, when the TT would have taken me a different way, but couldn't remember which. Just a minor quirk rather than a moan Smile

On approaching mobile cameras, I seem to be getting double voice notifications, which is quite annoying. I am using the gpx files from "CSV Converter" and I get one notification when a distance away and another when I am on top of the camera. Is it something to do with how I converted the files?

Thanks

Mark
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The double camera thing is a Garmin quirk. I've eliminated quite a lot of them, mostly motorways, but when you are on or very near the limit Garmin seems to give a second warning.

I've got a couple of cameras on my mid week Slough run for testing and when I get the time I'm going to experiment with different strategies.

My first test will be to set the overspeed value to zero. That will just write the line into the file with the # symbol that forces the warning. The overspeed line is the one with the @ symbol that Garmin uses to compare your speed with the camera speed and issue no warning if your under the limit and not accelerating or multiple warnings if your very close or on the limit.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting those double warnings when I used the Camera Manager. I've since stopped using it and also taken all the voices away, so I just get a "bong".

I would be very interested to find out what you discover as I liked the voice warning, but 2 (or 3 or sometimes 5) of them was a right pain.

Alan
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Camera Manager didn't do the adjacent camera check.

What I do is I look for 2 cameras that are within 0.001 of a mile, or less, apart. This means that on motorways where you get cameras on a single gantry facing opposite directions it only reports one of them as it removes the other. If you don't then you will definately get 2 warnings.
Same thing with reversible cameras as they share a common location.

What Garmin seems to do is stack up the warnings and feeds them one after the other till the stack is empty.

Before I developed the converter and I used the CSV files neat, it was not uncommon to get 5 or 6 warnings for each motorway camera and I wasn't even speeding. Plus the default 36 seconds I considered far too early.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
My first test will be to set the overspeed value to zero. That will just write the line into the file with the # symbol that forces the warning. The overspeed line is the one with the @ symbol that Garmin uses to compare your speed with the camera speed and issue no warning if your under the limit and not accelerating or multiple warnings if your very close or on the limit.

I don't pretend to understand all that, I have an inkling of an idea though. Would be good to hear what you find out though please Very Happy

Mark
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next time I process the cameras I will, if I remember, omit the overspeed set. If my guess is right I should just get a single warning that there is a camera ahead.

It will mean that if I speed up before the camera I won't get another warning.

Swings and roundabouts.

You could try it yourself, if you still use the converter, just set all the overspeed values to zero before the process.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise what all the options were for on the software, but have now swt mine up for the next round of camera files. Thanks Smile
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably do mine next week along with the map update so let me know how you get on.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really happy with the digital traffic on this unit. I never know when it is connected (the TT had a green dot or circling image). Last week it tried to make me join the M6 at junction 6, a junction that has been shut for a couple of months now Sad. Today, coming out of Willenhall, instead of joining the M6 at J10 as usual, it took me another way, due to traffic. It took me to J9, which has also been shut Southbound for a couple of months Sad Not knowing the local area, I was very disappointed that long term road closures are not shown. This morning was also sat in traffic M6 Northbound, but no delays reported.

At least I knew my old unit, relying on TMC was unreliable Sad
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I've found it to try and spot the circular update 'thing' like a Windows doughnut that appears each minute, or less, in the right side traffic band.

That TT dot sounds a better ploy though.

On my Slough run yesterday I did get a RDS warning way before INRIX warned me (quarter hour) of traffic M4 junctions 4 to 3. Normally INRIX will have the traffic when I'm leaving Slough and I don't get any RDS warning.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ marksfish

You can check if the traffic is working simply by pulling up the traffic pane on the right hand side. Road closures where I drive (mainly in the SE in the UK) have always been spot on, as indeed has traffic. Where I did hit an issue once was a road closure off a major road at a roundabout, and my nuvi showed the major road closed at that point on the major road also. Clearly someone somewhere not quite accurate enough with their map marking!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run several Garmin hd traffic units and two tomtom 600/6000

It was the case that the tomtom outperformed the Garmin on almost all traffic situations

However over the past few months the Garmins typically report the incidents seconds earlier, and with improved information as to why

I use a mixture of dab and smart link traffic on the Garmins

So surprised you are now disappointed in the traffic service - 12 months ago I would have agreed
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic situations I can live with, after all, queues can come as quickly as they go!! Mine reported a 9 minute delay for a jam I had just gone through, but at least it reported it Smile. What I do struggle with are road closures that have been closed for months not showing up. Roads such as this: http://bit.ly/1cQqZIX and this http://bit.ly/1cQr8Mi .

I know I can keep the traffic pane open, bit it does take up a large amount of screen space in comparison to the small traffic bar on a TT. I like the way it pops up when traffic is reported and disappears once passed.

It did however pick up a closed road on the way to Manningtree today, so I know it can work.

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: