Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Time to switch from TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to switch from TomTom
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Time to switch from TomTom Reply with quote

I see many TomTom users have migrated to Garmin. I am looking to replace my via 120 as the maps are out of date and it makes no sense to pay £50 for new maps and just over £100 for a new system with lifetime maps. I am also just sending my Go 50 back as it just doesn't do what I need it to do.

I have been looking at the 2599LMT-D (http://bit.ly/1c0MF4B) as a replacement. I need the following features:

Custom POI's with the ability to add warnings and image.
Ability to add new locations to POI file.
Ability to avoid part of route.

I believe the POI's are available looking at the blurb on the Garmin website, but how easy are they A0 to transfer over and b) to add while on the road? I still have POI editor, so should I be able to convert the ov2 file to whatever file the Garmin uses?

Thanks for your help.

Mark
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes there is confusion over POI when discussing Garmin and TomTom.

Specifically:

Yes, you can add custom POIs, although I'm unclear what you mean by 'image'? If you mean the icon that displays on the map page then yes.

Ability to avoid part of route. If you mean can you set custom avoidances, either an area or a stretch of road, then I believe so. You certainly can on my 2508.

Ability to add new locations to POI file. Yes, but not via the interface on the nuvi. Or are you simply talking about saving 'favourites'? If so then yes, you can do so on the nuvi itself.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, i'll try to be a little clearer.

Yes, uploading the image to display against the saved POI, to differentiate between each POI. what about sounds though? Can you add the sound files for the cameras or do they stay silent?

Avoid part of the route. For example, I travel North to Manchester via the M6, which is fine. I do not however want to travel South on the M6 due to congestion issues not always picked up on satnavs. On my current TT device, I can choose to avoid the M6 once the route is calculated and it will route me my preferred way across the M62 and down the A1.

Adding new locations. I work as a service engineer. Each time I visit a new customer at the moment, I am able to add my location and company name to the POI section that I want to allocate it to. So if I have POI's set up as Tesco (for example), I can add my position to that file and not have to manipulate it when I get home.

Thanks
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your point about converting ov2 files...

Assuming you are a subscriber here just download the Garmin speed zone consolidated set and bob's your uncle.

The POI load can be daunting but it does work and you can add your own as well as the cameras.
Any hassle post back and we'll guide you through although there are some good detailed walkthroughs here.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Loading the files, i'm sure I can do, it is the adding to the on the road that is a necessity as well though.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've clarified it:

You can set an 'avoid road' for that part of the M6 that you want to avoid. It's directional also, so you can set it for one way only.

You can also ask your Garmin to offer you 3 routes, and then choose whichever one you want.

In 'Garmin speak' you want to save favourites in categories, yes you can do so.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Very Happy
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading up on POI's (categories) and have managed to convert my ov2 files to csv files. I have also downloaded POILoader to have a look at and that has made a *.gpi file, which (if I had one) it would save to the unit. I have done some reading up and they can be relatively easily customised (as said here), but I can't see where you would add the associated image for the POI (category).

I went to Halfords to have another little play today, but it seems you are always under pressure. I managed to talk to a Garmin owner in the car park and we chewed the fat a bit, but then he got a work phone call, so that was that.

I wish that there was somewhere you could do a "try before you buy" (maybe a shop that has a demo unit it would sell and either refund if you don't want it or replace with a new unit if you do), but i suppose there is no mileage in that (excuse the pun).

Best price so far is £149 at all the high street retailers and it seems they come with a 2 year guarantee as standard.

I've put out an appeal on Facebook to see if any of my mates locally has one I can try before I commit.

Mark
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have say, gardencentres.csv then all you need is a gardencentres.bmp in the same folder.

POILoader will match the 2.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Last edited by Kremmen on Thu May 07, 2015 4:36 am; edited 2 times in total
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks Very Happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:

I wish that there was somewhere you could do a "try before you buy" (maybe a shop that has a demo unit it would sell and either refund if you don't want it or replace with a new unit if you do), but i suppose there is no mileage in that (excuse the pun).

Well if you were in Sussex I could show you mine Wink but if you must live North of the Thames I can't help you Laughing
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old school friend that has a unit I can have a play with Very Happy Now looking at the 2569 as it is Western Europe maps, I don't need full Europe, and therefore £20 cheaper Very Happy
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't need the friend in the end. My local Currys had them out on display and able to have a fiddle with. I spent about an hour swiping, tapping, pressing and generally anything else I could think of Very Happy I had taken the opportunity of pre ordering on click and collect, so once I was happy, I walked out with a new nuvi 2569LMT-D.

Just in the process of setting it up now. One thing I have noticed though is the windscreen mount is a bit poor. After having the TT folding mount for years, having a solid mount with a ball joint to leave in the window has come as a bit of a shock.

Mark
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can get others. 'Bean bag' ones are popular, although I'm quite happy with mine stuck on the screen.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked what they had in Currys, it was a magnetic affair that connected to the rear of the Garmin. Obviously for ease of use in the shop.

Not sure if I am in a map update/ software loop here. I am now on the 4th lot of map updates and software. I would have hoped that when connecting the unit, I would be offered the most up to date stuff anyway? I can't see what version(s) is being uploaded, so don't know how much further I have to go....

I am also not a fan of plugging the unit into the laptop to charge and it disables to the unit and just gives me the Garmin Express screen, so I can't do anything while charging.

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: