Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 3598 or 2599
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

3598 or 2599
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:

Has anyone noticed that Garmin do not enable, by default, the routing that uses "known trends" in the traffic behaviour. I found the option disabled out of the box on recent firmwares and units.

That didn't use to be the case. I've had to turn TrafficTrends off on mine, since I prefer to make my own decisions, and it can cause some weird routing decisions, although possibly very sensible ones Wink
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trawling through Garmin forum and came across this one and have to totally agree with billwood about the routing Garmin gives me. It is soon frustrating being routed off the beaten track only to rejoin the original road further along. And I STILL have issues with the speed limits it allocates to roads all around my area. I'll post an example of a route it sent me on a few days ago as an example immediately after this post and would welcome any ideas. Mine's a 2699 and is set to fastest route.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my last post - I set my 2699 to leave SA31 2AF and head for a postcode very near SA48 8PY (changed for confidentiality purposes).I was told to turn left at Llanybydder to join the B4337 and to join the A475 at Llanwnen where I was told to turn right. Then the next move was to turn left at a point on the A475, shortly after crossing the River Teifi on to an unclassified road. I travelled about 2 or so miles along this u/c road only to be told to turn right and this was definitely taking me into a farmyard!!! I turned my car around and followed my nose and eventually got back on to the A475 and joined the A482 at Lampeter.

My Satnav is set to ‘Fastest Time’ but Garmin doesn’t take into account the type of road when making its calculations. It may be the shortest as the crow flies but it’s horrendous to drive.

Why on earth did it not allow me to continue to travel along the A485 to Lampeter and pick the A482 from there or, after joining the B4337, stay on that road through Cribyn on to the A482 further along from my destination??

This, combined with awfully incorrect speed limits displayed on the unit, is quickly turning me off Garmin.

Any ideas anyone?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far out are the speed limits? I'm wondering whether it thinks tracks are 50mph roads and thinks it's quicker.

I'll get my 2597 out of the cupboard later and do your route and see what I get.

Done.

Took me on the A485, Dolgwili road for the whole journey, 30mph to Pontarsais then 50mph for a short while, then 60mph. 30 through Altwalis, at which point I stopped navigation, which looked to be OK.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:

Why on earth .... or, after joining the B4337, stay on that road through Cribyn on to the A482 further along from my destination??

I get that route in Basecamp. On my 2508 I get same route as Kremmen. Sounds like yours may benefit from a master reset
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ownership of speed limits seems a bit vague. I contacted my local council a few years back but they denied passing on speed limit changes.

I then contacted Navigon, as was, and they said it was NavTeq who was responsible.

I sent an error message to NavTeq, a section of 50 mph was erroneously reported as 30 mph for 300 yards. After about 5 quarterly map updates, followed by a switch to Garmin and it was still wrong. Then after the last Garmin map update it was fixed.

There have been lots of speed limit changes around here as the council reassesses the criteria - schools 30 or in some cases 20 - 50s to 40s etc. It will take time to work through the system. It is nothing to do with the hardware company.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Roy124/Kremmen The speed limits have remained the same for several years and the other lot have got the vast majority right on their devices but this Garmin is lucky if it is 60% accurate in my area.

sussamb I've owned the unit for less than a month and it may need a master reset already? I will, however, follow your advice as you know a lot more about these things than most on here.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only has something to do with the map makers, not those who use them. It usually takes absolutely ages, months if not years, for any user 'amendment' to get through on to the 'final' product and out to the map users.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
sussamb I've owned the unit for less than a month and it may need a master reset already? I will, however, follow your advice as you know a lot more about these things than most on here.

Well a master reset should ideally be done after any software update and/or if your nuvi doesn't appear to be working correctly. Since Kremmen and I both get different results from your route it's worth a try Wink
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you. I've done the master reset and had to do a software update. The map was the latest version. My custom POI's are still on the micro sd card. My unit is set to fastest route.

This morning, I needed to get from SA14 8BE to SA33 5EX (a route I knew without needing assistance but still used it out of curiosity). I pretty much ignored the unit as I knew the best way for me, but it alarm bells were raised when I got to the junction of the A40 with the B4312, which is the more direct route, the unit wanted me to stay on the A40 for a further mile before turning left. That road is unclassified and tedious to drive. I ignored it and continued on MY route via the B4312, and the destination time didn't alter. I entered the same route tonight on Basecamp and, although it was better than the unit this morning, it DID send me on some u/c roads which was totally wrong but agreed with my preferred route this morning of turning on to the B4312.

I've just entered the exact same route on the simulator after the reset tonight. It STILL insists on sending me via unclassified roads and STILL sends me on the same route as this morning. Basecamp also sends me on some back-roads but I don't WANT to go that way. I want to stick to A,B class and Motorways. Is there a way to set the unit to avoid unclassified roads?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange, my 2508 follows the B4312 via Johnstown ... which I assume is what you would want?

You might check your avoidances. I have unpaved roads selected, it's possible that is making a difference.

Unfortunately there is no way to insist it only uses road classifications of B and above.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoiding paved is ticked. Finally for now, I inserted SA14 8BE to SA33 5EX. It simulates going straight ahead at the junction of the B4303 and A484 along an unclassified road to join the B4309 (eventually). The best route is to turn right and follow the A484 to a place called Tumble and on to the A48.

I'm beginning to think this is a rouge unit. As I claim mileage doing my work, it's costing a fortune going up and down the box on these little roads not to mention the increased wear on my tyres.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starts off and takes me across farmers row into long row.

Then all I get is 'the road'. At the end of 'the road' it turns me right out of 'the street' onto the b4309 and keeps me on the b4309 for 9.9 miles

Not knowing the area it's difficukt to know if that is a sensible route.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason MapPoint works so well is because it allows you to set your typical speeds for each type of road.

I guess that Garmin assume for example that everyone does 70 on motorways, I don't. I tend to tootle along in the inside lane pacing a donor truck at 60. Far more relaxing.

MapPoint has urban streets at a default of 28mph which with traffic lights and other delays is unrealistic as an average. I'll bet Garmin does the same and you can't change it. I know that my journey from Heathrow to Malvern takes just under 3 hours and by tweaking all the speeds I can get it to that time and as a result it uses 99% of the route I know to be best for my driving style.

I believe Garmin need a similar ploy rather than assuming we all are allowed to drive at the speed limit for every type of road. That way unclassified roads could be reduced to say 10mph which would often rule them out.
MapPoint defaults these roads to 19mph which is too high again.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin nuvis do adjust speeds depending on your driving style, they 'learn' from you. Now nowhere does it say this, just anecdotal evidence, but certainly I've found, as have others, that after a master reset ETAs change again and then reduce/increase depending on how fast/slow you drive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: