Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin real voice can be a real pain.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin real voice can be a real pain.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Check my post, lane 2 on approach and as it splits you move into the centre lane ... as I posted.
No I don't think so. I am very familiar with this junction. Look closely; the initial approach road says E'SHAM/A4440 in the left-hand lane, with the right-hand lane marked for the A449 only. Now move a bit farther up the slip road - you will see that it is the left-hand lane that splits into two, the left one being E'SHAM, the right hand part of the left-hand lane becoming the new (middle) lane and marked A4440, while the A449 remains the same, as the right-hand lane.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I'll do a simulation later and see what it says.

Garmin just gives a 'Take 3rd exit onto Warndon way', but strangely gives road numbers for all the other exits.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I wonder how many roundabouts in the UK qualify for this type of complication. Bear in mind that it will all be OK when we all have self driving cars and won't have to pay any attention whatsoever about what is going on through the window.

Not in my lifetime I hope, I enjoy driving too much Very Happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
sussamb wrote:
Check my post, lane 2 on approach and as it splits you move into the centre lane ... as I posted.
No I don't think so. I am very familiar with this junction. Look closely; the initial approach road says E'SHAM/A4440 in the left-hand lane, with the right-hand lane marked for the A449 only. Now move a bit farther up the slip road - you will see that it is the left-hand lane that splits into two, the left one being E'SHAM, the right hand part of the left-hand lane becoming the new (middle) lane and marked A4440, while the A449 remains the same, as the right-hand lane.

Yes, I saw that but I'd still approach in the right hand lane then move into the middle, it's what the highway code recommends and is more logical. I accept what you say but in my view in this particular case the lanes are badly marked. Local knowledge would certainly help but then most folks won't have it, I suspect most motorists knowing they are turning right would be in the right hand lane. Wonder how many incidents happen there Very Happy
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
cottonsocks wrote:
sussamb wrote:

Yes, I saw that but I'd still approach in the right hand lane then move into the middle, it's what the highway code recommends and is more logical. I accept what you say but in my view in this particular case the lanes are badly marked. Local knowledge would certainly help but then most folks won't have it, I suspect most motorists knowing they are turning right would be in the right hand lane. Wonder how many incidents happen there Very Happy

Which illustrates the value of having road numbers at some complex junctions. Using a TomTom, you would be in the correct lane from the beginning because you would be looking out for the A4440 and not Warndon Way. Also, there are some roundabouts that are quite poorly marked and/or with road markings partially worn away, but usually there are additional signs as you go around the traffic island, almost invariably marked with the road number, so to be given that additional information by the sat nav is certainly not a negative thing and in certain circumstances, could help a lot. Since the map must have this information, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult for Garmin to provide this information, both on-screen and in the spoken instructions.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's better than it used to be and improves with each update. To be fair using a TT you'd still be wrong initially if as you say the first instruction was turn right as most folks would then be in the right hand lane. Whichever system you have the key is to pay attention to the road signs.

I suspect though it's one of those roundabouts where lots of folks have issues as it doesn't follow the advice in the highway code. Wonder why they split the left lane and not the right? Would seem far more sensible to do so.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Well it's better than it used to be and improves with each update. To be fair using a TT you'd still be wrong initially if as you say the first instruction was turn right as most folks would then be in the right hand lane. Whichever system you have the key is to pay attention to the road signs.

I suspect though it's one of those roundabouts where lots of folks have issues as it doesn't follow the advice in the highway code. Wonder why they split the left lane and not the right? Would seem far more sensible to do so.
Actually the TomTom is spot on because it says and I quote, "Go right on the roundabout, 3rd exit A4440 towards Warndon". That matches the approach road where A4440 is designated for the left-hand lane on the road markings until it splits just before the roundabout and it also matches the road sign which just says "Warndon."
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I get that and you know the junction so go into the left hand lane. I'm pretty sure that those without local knowledge hearing 'Go right ... ' would end up in the right hand lane.

That's why it seems strange to me that it's the left and not the right lane that splits into two, as most folks knowing they're turning right would be in the 'wrong' lane Wink
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Yes I get that and you know the junction so go into the left hand lane. I'm pretty sure that those without local knowledge hearing 'Go right ... ' would end up in the right hand lane.

That's why it seems strange to me that it's the left and not the right lane that splits into two, as most folks knowing they're turning right would be in the 'wrong' lane Wink
Not if they listened to the whole message, which clearly states A4440 (when using a TomTom that is) and when you look down on the road, it's written there in the left-hand lane.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I thought your whole point was that you wanted to be able to rely on your satnav and not worry about road signs, counting exits etc Question

Now you're ignoring your satnav that is telling you to turn right and instead figuring out yourself which lane to be in, you can't really have it both ways. The point is you have local knowledge, without it even hearing that very clear message from your TT the 'turn right ...' would get most folks into the right hand lane, especially as that's where folks expect to be when turning right at a roundabout, and as it's laid down in the highway code.

As I said, I do agree that the TT is clearer than the Garmin, but I still think that folks will end up in the 'wrong' lane. But I guess we won't agree so I'm going to leave it there.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too (leave it there I mean). As far as I am concerned, the TomTom's directions beat the Garmin's hands down because they provide more information to enable the driver to make better decisions, including in my example, being in the correct left-hand lane on the initial part of the slip road heading up towards the traffic island. Of course, I don't need instructions from my sat nav for this junction, so in this case I use my local knowledge, but my point was and is that a good satellite navigation system should provide as much relevant information as possible and it should as far as possible match the road signs and lane markings. Garmin make great claims for their "real directions" but the hype doesn't always match the experience of using the devices. Over and out.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's not to mention Garmin's sometimes dubious routing.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomToms is no better, their users complain just like Garmin ones

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/bad-routing-using-the-go-6100-1021083

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/crazy-routing-987416

Really depends on your idea of what makes a 'good route'.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea that the Garmin routing is sometimes dubious did concern me a bit before I bought one.

I have to say that over several thousand miles and three months using the Garmin I haven't found it's routing to be any worse than the TomTom. Both pick what I would call a strange route sometimes. With both units I sometimes use my judgement and ignore the instructions.

It takes a while to adjust from one to the other because they have different methods of operation and have slightly different styles of instruction but overall I am pleased with the Garmin and will be sticking with it.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after using the road angel, moving to tomtom, then garmin, then tomtom I'm back to garmin and both the routing for tomtom and garmin are hit and miss - i've had both send me down back roads and side streets just to get me to a location which is further along the main road.

overall best satnav i ever used was the road angel, just shame they never continued with them.

Out of the tomtom and garmin, i prefer the garmin devices, even though some of their audio features are limited (mainly to do with speed cameras and blackspots)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: