Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin real voice can be a real pain.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin real voice can be a real pain.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alpine have yet again developed the best solution and I've never gone wrong with it.

When you approach a roundabout it produces a new graphic that is basically a circle but amended to represent the actual roundabout, not all are a circle.

It shows all the exits with yours clearly marked by the correct angle, which is your exit.

Your exit may be the third exit which means nothing on it's own but with a clear arrow pointing the actual exit direction it works really well.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got the driveluxe 50 and when i approach a roundabout it says take exit 3 to road number then direction

ie: take exit 3 on the a1 towards london

even though it tells me the which exit to take i still look at the road signs anyway to be on safe side.

the real directions can come in handy in towns as it may mention turn right at the traffic lights or turn left after the deli-shop
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
cottonsocks wrote:
sussamb wrote:
Not sure if it's changed or not but you generally get a warning about which exit to take at a roundabout up to a couple of miles away, then again as you get closer, certainly in plenty of time to look at the relevant signs as you approach the roundabout itself. Really no room for error unless you want to be told exactly what to do, in which case I guess you'd be in trouble when told for example to 'turn left at the traffic lights' as your Garmin didn't say if the light was red or green Wink
It's just a pity that the signs don't always match the very basic information given by the Garmin. Being told to take the fourth exit on a multi-lane roundabout with six exits is not very helpful in my opinion, especially given how long Garmin has been in the business.

Perhaps not, but surely (having been told quite a while before the rounadabout) to take the '4th exit' as you approach the roundabout the signage will tell you which road is the 4th exit? To me I never worry, 4th exit is 4th exit ... I just take it ... don't need to know which road it is, surely that is the point of a satnav??
So try this. Use Google maps street view and exit southbound off junction 6 on the M5. Now as you come up the slip road, the Garmin tells you to use Exit 3, Warndon Way. Which lane would you choose? The initial approach road has two choices (left to right) - E'SHAM/A4440 & A449. Then it becomes three lanes, being E'SHAM, A4440 & A449. Once you get on the roundabout, you have four lanes from left to right, being E'SHAM, M5S, A4440 and A449. Without cheating, which route would you take through this junction based on what the sat nav has told you?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the roundabout sign say on the approach about Exit 3?

Never mind, I've looked on street view. Lane 2 on the approach as I don't want Evesham, and in any case exit 3 is to my right over the m way, so right lane is logical, then as it splits into 3 move into centre lane (again I don't want Evesham and now lane 3 is marked A449 and I don't want that either). Stay in middle lane as lane one now indicates M5. As I pass M5 entrance middle lane becomes lane one, and leads neatly into the road I want. Simples really Very Happy

Last edited by sussamb on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
pcaouolte wrote:

Also the early notification of a roundabout which the Garmin gives would benefit from a turn direction being added to help with lane choice. Something like "Turn left at the roundabout, second exit."

Really? As far as I'm aware all exits off a roundabout are 'left', or am I misunderstanding you?

Yes you have misunderstood. When approaching a roundabout you will usually turn (broadly) left, straight on or right. Knowing which one helps with lane selection on the approach. This is why driving instructors will often instruct pupils to "go right at the roundabout, third exit". The same information is useful to all drivers when planning the approach to a roundabout.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... on my advanced and blue light driving courses the instruction was simply 3rd exit ... you're expected to read the roundabout signs (which is why they are there) to determine where (approximately) that might be Wink

However I accept what you describe might help some drivers.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Hmmm ... on my advanced and blue light driving courses the instruction was simply 3rd exit ... you're expected to read the roundabout signs (which is why they are there) to determine where (approximately) that might be Wink

I wonder why you have a satnav, sussamb, since you clearly don't need it, but maybe that's why you're happy with Garmin and won't hear any criticism of their devices.

However, as you so frequently remind us lesser mortals who haven't undergone advanced and blue light driver training, a satnav is an aid, which is there by definition to "help or support in the achievement of something", and not to make the task more difficult by giving confusing and ambiguous directions.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Good point. If your given the instruction before the road sign you can see what direction to go from the road sign.

Allows you to see, for example, whether the 3rd exit is left or right of dead ahead.

However, Garmin should replicate what's on the road sign and drop the street names where road numbers exist.

No point complaining to support because they will probably tell you to return the unit for a replacement Rolling Eyes
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I wonder why you have a satnav, sussamb, since you clearly don't need it, but maybe that's why you're happy with Garmin and won't hear any criticism of their devices.

Oh believe me I do on both counts, but I also, as I suspect you do too, use my eyes as well. I have never found any satnav 'perfect', each have their own foibles, you just have to make the best of the information being given to you, both by the satnav and what you see out of your vehicle. Most times the information given by my various satnavs over the years is spot on, occasionally it's not.

It's not often though that folks complain about instructions at roundabouts, so Garmin must have it generally correct.

Last edited by sussamb on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

However, Garmin should replicate what's on the road sign and drop the street names where road numbers exist.

They've been getting better over the years by introducing more road numbers instead of streets, but they have more to do.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
What does the roundabout sign say on the approach about Exit 3?

Never mind, I've looked on street view. Lane 2 on the approach as I don't want Evesham, and in any case exit 3 is to my right over the m way, so right lane is logical, then as it splits into 3 move into centre lane (again I don't want Evesham and now lane 3 is marked A449 and I don't want that either). Stay in middle lane as lane one now indicates M5. As I pass M5 entrance middle lane becomes lane one, and leads neatly into the road I want. Simples really Very Happy
Not bad, but you're in the wrong lane as you go up the slip road (you should be in the left-hand lane) so you've got to change a lane just before you enter the roundabout. Now compare with the instructions given by a TomTom sat nav, "Go right on the roundabout, third exit A4440 towards Warndon" Much clearer is it not and it exactly matches what is on the signs and what is painted on the road? Also, I've been on roundabouts where the lane marking are not nearly as well planned out as this one and if you have only got vague instructions about the exit number, together with some unfamiliar road name, you are having to divert some of your attention away from your driving to fathom out where exactly you need to be to put you in the correct place for the exit, as well as trying to count the exits as you go round, watch for other traffic and possibly also traffic lights. Bad enough in the daytime, but potentially a complete nightmare in the dark.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's you're opinion. I'd be quite happy in lane 2 on the approach. Highway code also suggests lane 2 is appropriate and markings in lane one are only for left turn or straight on.

The TT statement also implies lane 2? I do agree that being told third exit A4440 towards Warndon is clear but in my view that info is available anyway from the sign on approach, so a simple take third exit is sufficient for me, although a Garmin will normally say more than that. I'll do a simulation later and see what it says.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Well that's you're opinion. I'd be quite happy in lane 2 on the approach. Highway code also suggests lane 2 is appropriate and markings in lane one are only for left turn or straight on.

The TT statement also implies lane 2? I do agree that being told third exit A4440 towards Warndon is clear but in my view that info is available anyway from the sign on approach, so a simple take third exit is sufficient for me.
Then you'd be in the wrong lane. Lane 1 is for Evesham/A4440 initially, while Lane 2 is for the A449. Just before the roundabout, Lane 1 splits into two and Lane 2 remains for the A449, so if you had approached in the right hand lane (A449) you would have to change lanes and if someone happened to be alongside you at the time, they would have priority because they would already be in the correct lane.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my post, lane 2 on approach and as it splits you move into the centre lane ...

Having had another look I can see what you mean though, it's the road markings that aren't helpful, it would really make more sense for lane 2 to split, and not lane one, that would then tally with the highway code Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many roundabouts in the UK qualify for this type of complication. Bear in mind that it will all be OK when we all have self driving cars and won't have to pay any attention whatsoever about what is going on through the window.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: