Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 3598 route planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 3598 route planning
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 3598 route planning Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had my Nuvi 3598 LTM & Traffic for a while now and with the exception of one complete failure, but coupled with an exceptionally fast replacement via Garmin, I love the device.

One thing which puzzles me though, when I choose a route the ones which the device offers are not ideal. Each recommendation takes me through known major congestion spots so I'm forced to not accept those. As a way round I've used the "Trip Planner" but need to place 'Point of Interest' along the route to avoid the GPS from forcing me back onto the known congestion spots route along the way. For reference, the distances for each journey, whether by sat-nav choices, or by my 'Trip Planner', are small, the main issue here is staying away from the known congestion.

Now here's my question, is there any way, other than via 'Trip Planner' to create a route of my own without using "Trip Planner" as detailed above.

Many thanks,

John in the UK
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic and not a 3598 but...

My 2599 initially will calculate a route using what would be the best route if I was the only car on the road.

After a few minutes when the digital traffic has kicked in and I start to see yellow and red bands it will start to assess the route and if necessary will offer a detour.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Chigman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choose a route of a possible three. click the back button to go back to main screen, then click on the map tab. choose the route or road you would prefer to take by pressing on the screen to create a 'Via', then add that to the original route. do as many as needed. Hope ya got that Laughing
Chigman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could use mapquest to create a prefered route and send it the 3598.
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 3598 route planning Reply with quote

Hi to everyone,

Thanks a million for your replies of help.

I cannot believe this, but my Nuvi 3598 has yet again FAILED today on route to Preston in Lancashire. It's experiencing the exact same problems as my first Nuvi 3598 which I bought 29th Sept 2014 and replaced with this one on 15th December 2014. It will not boot from either it's on board battery or with the Traffic / Dash power cable. If left connected to the dash power mount it sometimes reboots on its own but as soon as I touch the 'MAP VIEW' on the screen it shows the vehicle icon on a greyed out map screen then immediately shuts down.

All updates are present on my 3598 but very occasionally the 3598 will boot to the first screen and after speaking with Garmin customer services last Friday 13th 2015, and they instructing me how to "Clear down all Data" via the 3598's concealed "Diagnostics Page." I was trialing the device today on my Preston run when it failed again. Two out of two device failures worries me for sure, I just hope it's not a recurrent hardware fault as I love this sat-nav.

I must say that Garmin are very helpful so I will recontact them tomorrow and see what gives. I will keep this forum updated on this issue.

When the 3598 is up and running again I will give Chigman's suggestion a try first.

Many thanks again,

John in the UK
Chigman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bummer mate. I had the grey screen twice just after I bought the 3598, but not had one problem since in about 18 months. All I done was take all the updates and it seemed to clear the fault. I do a fair amount of miles, and last summer I did 1900 miles around Scotland and the sat nav didn't miss a beat. Very strange Confused

Good luck with a possible third Shocked
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chigman wrote:
What a bummer mate. I had the grey screen twice just after I bought the 3598, but not had one problem since in about 18 months. All I done was take all the updates and it seemed to clear the fault. I do a fair amount of miles, and last summer I did 1900 miles around Scotland and the sat nav didn't miss a beat. Very strange Confused

Good luck with a possible third Shocked

Hi Chigman,

That's interesting, how did you remove all updates?

I don't want to 'jump the gun' before talking with Garmin tomorrow but it's good to have a remedy at hand. Did you re-update maps etc afterwards.

Cheers for your reply,

John
Chigman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I meant John was that I took all the updates and maps when they were available. I did not remove any updates or do anything special. Just did a 90 mile round trip, and as I say, it didn't bat an eyelid.

Steve
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chigman wrote:
All I meant John was that I took all the updates and maps when they were available. I did not remove any updates or do anything special. Just did a 90 mile round trip, and as I say, it didn't bat an eyelid.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your explanation, I'll see what Garmin have to offer tomorrow, hopefully it's something simple to remedy.

Kind regards

Johm
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 3598 route planning UPDATE Reply with quote

Hi,

As explained extraordinarily in my post above, my Nuvi 3598 LTM-D decided to pack up yesterday whilst driving. I've contacted Garmin again this morning and they were very helpful in sorting things out for me.

Garmin sent me a link to their online software version of "WEBUPDATER" program and supporting pdf format instructions via email. For all the world it seems like Garmin Express and checks online for correct device software etc and facilitates re-installing Maps / system etc from their server.

Did it work? Yes it did thankfully, and my 3598 in now running smoothly at the moment Question My outing today will be the test of course.

I must say that my experiences with Garmin customer support on the telephone have been excellent, and much superior to those of TomTom, my previous sat-nav manufacturers.

Now back to my original 'Route Planning' enquiry which Chigman and others offered advice on. Hopefully my 'single brain cell' will work better today than of late.

Kindest regards to all,

John in the UK
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chigman wrote:
choose a route of a possible three. click the back button to go back to main screen, then click on the map tab. choose the route or road you would prefer to take by pressing on the screen to create a 'Via', then add that to the original route. do as many as needed. Hope ya got that Laughing

Hi Chigman,

My 3598 is now ok so back to your suggestion above.

I get as far as "back to main screen. then, click on the map tab" ok then I sadly lose the plot Embarassed

Exactly how do I add the "Via" places to my chosen route, it's not something I've come across before. Would you please explain this to me a little further. my single brain cell is in "sleep mode" these days Embarassed

Thanks again Steve

John
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since a couple of grey screen issues when the 3598 was released in Q2 2014 I've not had any major problems with my 3598. Had a few screen freezes (but far less than the many other Garmin's I've owned) and have been very happy with it and even happier with the digital traffic which is far better than the previous incarnations of traffic information.

It looks like you may have just been very unlucky but get Garmin to ship you a new unit rather than a refurbished one if you can. There are many rumours that the 3598 is about to be discontinued - ideally the serial number on the back should be circa 39Q0040xxx as this seems to be the for the most recent batch of models
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
- ideally the serial number on the back should be circa 39Q0040xxx as this seems to be the for the most recent batch of models

Hi BAVC10,

Thanks for your information on the 3598 LTM-D series. As identified in my post above I purchased my first 3598 last September 2014 and that brandished the preceding 39QXXXXXX serial number, although I cannot recall the last few digits. That unit did not actually go grey screened as the present one has, but initially lost it's traffic receiving capability then died a few days thereafter. Garmin, in fairness, replaced that immediately in December 2014 via my Halfords dealers here in the UK.

My current 3598 LTM-D also carries a 39Q03XXXX serial and it's this one that would not boot, or constantly rebooted every 30 seconds or so, then went greyed out on map selection before closing down instantly. I've used Garmin's provided online WEBUPDATER software on this latest device with the re-install of maps (and I think system files), and it's working fine for the moment. Whether the issue is software based or hardware, I don't know, but it seems strange that a re-install sorted thing out on this occasion, but for how long I don't know ??

Many thanks once again for your feedback, it's most welcomed.

John in the UK
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you purchased your 3598 for Halfords take it back there as they have an arrangement with Garmin to exchange a faulty unit there and then - providing it is within 1 year from purchase date.

Halfords will take your details and phone Garmin who will issue an RMA number and they will exchange in the shop. You need to do this between 9am and 5pm when Garmin's support desk is open.

You'll need your receipt - I wouldn't say the unit has been exchanged once already as that may affect the guarantee plus the box and all cables etc...- if you don't Halfords will take out the box anything you don't return.

Suggest you look on their website to find a store which has the 3598 in stock (there aren't too many as stocks seem to be running down) and take your unit into that store where you'll get a brand new unit (not a refurb like Garmin supply) to take straight out of the shop and no postage to pay.

I've exchanged a few units with Halfords over the years and their service has always been excellent so I have nothing but praise for them.
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:

Halfords will take your details and phone Garmin who will issue an RMA number and they will exchange in the shop. You need to do this between 9am and 5pm when Garmin's support desk is open. .

Hi BAVC10,

Yes, Halfords are really good. I did get an RMA code from Garmin on my previous 3598 and Halfords exchanged it immediately in shop for my present one. Having the original box made things very smooth.

To be honest I get the feeling that the issues with my 3598's were, or are, software / update related. I always check regularly for updates via Garmin Express and it seems strange that device functionality problems occurred quite close to any recommended and actioned installations. I may be totally wrong so I'll monitor things for failure when a recommended update is forthcoming and installed. If the latter is the case I will telephone Garmin and impart my observations for their technical teams investigation.

I'm on a direct RJ45 cable 50Mb broadband line so drop-outs during any installs should hopefully not be an issue.

Thanks again,

John in the UK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: