Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 5 Speeders Clocked At Over 140 Mph
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

5 Speeders Clocked At Over 140 Mph
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: 5 Speeders Clocked At Over 140 Mph Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Five motorists in England and Wales have been caught on camera driving over 140 mph in 2014.

The two fastest were both clocked at 146 mph on the M25 in Kent.

Three others made the list - one driver reached 145 mph on the M6 toll road, another managed 141 mph on the A1 at Great Ponton, in Lincolnshire and a further vehicle was recorded doing 140 mph on the A5, near Crick, in Northamptonshire.

The reported figures could be even higher as only 36 out of the 43 police forces responded to The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) freedom of information request.

A spokesperson for IAM, commented: "At speeds of 140 mph, an individual is travelling at nearly two-and-a-half miles a minute. At that speed, it is simply impossible to react to anything that might happen in front of you."

The highest recorded speed in a 50 mph limit was 119 mph on the M1 in Swinford, Leicestershire.

More shockingly, one driver managed to get to 128 mph on a 30 mph stretch of the A22 in East Grinstead, West Sussex.

Paul Witters from the Automobile Association said: "We need to find out what happened to these people, as a message to others. It is important as a message to others who might consider this, that it probably ended in a driving ban and perhaps a jail sentence."

Source
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android
email icon

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sort of speeds should be a permanent driving ban or a lengthy one with a harder than normal test to be passed after.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame the car manufacturers and the government so tempting to have a moment of madness it only takes a few seconds to reach these speeds
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamf wrote:
I blame the car manufacturers and the government so tempting to have a moment of madness it only takes a few seconds to reach these speeds
That's right. Always blame someone else and don't take responsibility for your own actions. It'll never be your fault.
Davidonly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

140mph can be achieved in perfect safety in the right conditions. This really is a 'so what'? moment....
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not. It's against the law whatever your personal opinion.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidonly wrote:
140mph can be achieved in perfect safety in the right conditions. This really is a 'so what'? moment....

And 71mph on a 70mph Motorway can be just as dangerous. Very Happy
buffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me state at outset that I do not support, condone or, needless to say, participate in driving at such speeds on our roads.

There are a number of statements in this thread that deserve comment.

Firstly it is total idiocy to say that it is impossible to react to to situations when driving at 140 mph and that representative should be asked to provide evidence to support his ridiculous statement. Has he never seen motor car and cycle racing, has he never driven on the autobahn in Germany or watched Top Gear etc.?

It is no excuse but it is an issue that modern motor cars make it far too easy to drive too fast in a whole range of situations some of which do not need high speeds but just plain bad and dangerous driving but current policing policy or speed cameras will do nothing to identify them or improve driving standards.

Our motorways are NOT 70 mph motorways they are designed to allow far higher speeds in safety but have a random 70mph limit imposed on them. Anybody that has driven in countries where higher speeds are allowed, e.g. most of Europe, can testify to this and some are not as well designed but have no blanket limit imposed e.g. Germany.

Having passed my driving test in the 60s in the rain with hand signals and had the pleasure of driving on our roads before the nanny state plastered the country with speed limits, cameras and road signs, all be it in cars that would barely break 70 mph, I cannot understand why we continue to waste money building motorways and then prevent them being used in the way they were designed for. Ordinary multi-carriage way highways would be far cheaper and sufficient and it is only because a reasonable proportion of drivers push the speed limits to the maximum that motorways work today as well as they do.

I have no doubt that some of the responses on here are from drivers who think it is perfectly correct to drive in the overtaking lanes of multi-carriage way highways when they are not overtaking but that's another subject
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many debates/arguments around various sites about the 70mph limit. I personally think 70mph is fine but we are all entitled to our opinion.

At the moment 70 means 80 or 90 to some but raising it to a modest 80 would likely mean 90 or 100 to some with all the inherent dangers.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Even with the 70 limit far too many motorists drive far too close together resulting in the sort of carnage that occurred a week or so ago.

Just imagine how bad it would have been if traffic had been traveling faster.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buffer wrote:
Firstly it is total idiocy to say that it is impossible to react to to situations when driving at 140 mph and that representative should be asked to provide evidence to support his ridiculous statement. Has he never seen motor car and cycle racing, has he never driven on the autobahn in Germany or watched Top Gear etc.?

That really is a rather naïve statement. Most drivers have nothing approaching the skill of racing drivers, or even Top Gear presenters. Many motorists manage to crash their cars at 30 mph or less, god knows what would happen if we allowed them to drive even faster than 70 or so on motorways.

German autobahns despite what most people think have many speed limits and other restrictions imposed, to suggest that you can happily bowl along at 140mph is a complete misrepresentation of the facts.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
At the moment 70 means 80 or 90 to some

Up to 95 on a motorway is probably considered normal, as you only get 3 points if caught.

There was talk of reducing the 3 point threshold to 90mph, and now there is an article in the Daily Mail with talk of zero tolerence on any speed limit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-129780/New-speeding-laws-mean-ban-just-32mph.html
buffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussamb you obviously did not read what I said because I certainly did not say that everybody could react fast enough at 140 mph but that it was total idiocy to say that nobody could.

Also I did not say that you could drive at 140 mph on all of the German autobahn network. After driving on it regularly for the last 40 years I am well aware that there are many speed restrictions some of which are imposed as a result of the construction of the road not allowing unrestricted speed.

The 70 mph limit itself leads to bunching of traffic and is exacerbated by self appointed policing by drivers that do not return to the nearside lanes when they have overtaken a vehicle because they are doing 70 mph and nobody should be trying to overtake them.

Speed does not kill but bad, irresponsible or dangerous driving at any speed can have fatal results.

More traffic police in marked cars patrolling all sorts of roads will lead to better driving, closer observance of a wide range of driving laws not just speed and the apprehension of more drivers that are breaking those laws.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a plodder now and when I used to drive to work in the mornings I would sit at 60 in with the trucks on the M25 for the 20 mile journey. A colleague used to blast past me quite early into the journey on the M4 most mornings doing 80+.

When I pulled into the company car park, more often than not, with traffic lights and other obstacles on the final stretch he would be just climbing out of his car so had gained very little and wasn't as composed on arrival.

As a side note, he was part time so was able to also blast home doing his 80+ on the M25 and has never had a NIP.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
NitramA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buffer wrote:
Sussamb you obviously did not read what I said because I certainly did not say that everybody could react fast enough at 140 mph but that it was total idiocy to say that nobody could.

Also I did not say that you could drive at 140 mph on all of the German autobahn network. After driving on it regularly for the last 40 years I am well aware that there are many speed restrictions some of which are imposed as a result of the construction of the road not allowing unrestricted speed.

The 70 mph limit itself leads to bunching of traffic and is exacerbated by self appointed policing by drivers that do not return to the nearside lanes when they have overtaken a vehicle because they are doing 70 mph and nobody should be trying to overtake them.

Speed does not kill but bad, irresponsible or dangerous driving at any speed can have fatal results.

More traffic police in marked cars patrolling all sorts of roads will lead to better driving, closer observance of a wide range of driving laws not just speed and the apprehension of more drivers that are breaking those laws.

Totally agree with this.
What we need is better standards, not lower speeds.

Seems to me that everyone thinks speed is the tool of the devil these days.

Thing is that whilst the cars have got safer the drivers have got worse and there's no incentive to improve standards.
Your just as dangerous at 60 as 80 if you don't look where you're going.

Encourage me to become better trained and then give me the opportunity and freedom to put that training into practice rather than force me into an artificially high level of compliance.
You may even find that people drive more slowly because they have a better personal understanding of the risk at that specific time/place.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: