Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MOUNTR - an innovative wireless charging car mount solution
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MOUNTR - an innovative wireless charging car mount solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: MOUNTR - an innovative wireless charging car mount solution Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Mountr have launched an innovative new car mounting solution for smartphones that uses a unique smartphone case with wireless charging.

Coupled with a dedicated magnetic cradle, the combination couldn't be easier to use. Touch your phone to the cradle and the magnetic mount automatically aligns the two and also connects power.

You can rotate the case into landscape and portrait positions, there are no more wires to connect and no cradle to phone connectors that increase wear and require precise alignment.

Mountr have tested the design to ensure the magnetic mount is strong enough to keep the device secured, the magnets can hold 10 times the weight of a phone. They are available with window suction and air vent mounting options and currently Mountr support a range of Samsung Galaxy and iPhone models with more to come.

We have received a starter kit and will be following up with a full review soon.

Source: mountr.com

email icon

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been looking for something like this for my Nexus 5 - but one that would make use of the built-in QI charging circuit.

The issue, from what I found out, was that QI isn't powerful enough to charge the device when it's in heavy use (like when using GPS etc) so wouldn't be much good for in the car.

I'm guessing the wireless aspect of this is between the mount and the case - where the case simply 'plugs in' to the phone's power socket?

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My in car QI charger keeps up with Sygic GPS on my S5 and charges the phone at the same time (fairly slowly though).
It's a single coil transmitter and third party coil in the back of the phone combined with a home made thingy to hold the phone and the charging coil.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the advantage? There still has to be power to the mount - I can power my smartphone from the cig lighter socket so either way there is one power cable.
What have I missed?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have missed the fact that you don't have to fiddle about plugging it in, you just plonk it on/in the charger pad.
With the SGS5 that I have with its little USB cover, it's a right pain in the butt and you can't 'simply plug it in'.
This is the objective. Not to get rid of the power cable.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks - I've got a Nokia and plug it into cig lighter socket just as I do my TomTom. I've never thought of it as too fiddly although the micro usb only goes in one way so would be easier if it had a reversible connector such as the Apple lightning connector.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, try a Samsung S5 with its fiddly little trapdoor that you first have to remove and then try to get the micro USB plug the right way round into the correct part of the two part USB3 connector. Sad You would then pretty soon realise the benefits of the 'ponk and go' wireless charging system. Very Happy
'Spose I should buy myself a cheaper phone, or god help me, get an iPhone with the magical lightning connector. Shocked
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, the lightning connector is very good and I know we all 'love' the EU beaurocrats but they don't seem to like it more here
Quote:
In what is another round of EU meddling, Apple could find its Lightning Connector banned in Europe. Under new proposals, the EU is seeking to have one universal charging port for all mobile phones, to reduce the number of chargers people in Europe need to carry around.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There y'go, even the EU bureaucrats are looking out for our interests. Let's all vote for them!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
wetsleet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How daft is that? Just because Apple uses a different connector does not put it at odds with the EU requirement that all phones should be able to use a standard charger - the Apple lightning connector wire plugs into any standard phone charger, same as any USB connector wire.
Martin2015Dutch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
I'd been looking for something like this for my Nexus 5 - but one that would make use of the built-in QI charging circuit.

The issue, from what I found out, was that QI isn't powerful enough to charge the device when it's in heavy use (like when using GPS etc) so wouldn't be much good for in the car.

I'm guessing the wireless aspect of this is between the mount and the case - where the case simply 'plugs in' to the phone's power socket?

MaFt

Correct!
Martin2015Dutch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
I don't see the advantage? There still has to be power to the mount - I can power my smartphone from the cig lighter socket so either way there is one power cable.
What have I missed?

The unique magnetic phone holder lets you mount and unmount your phone in the blink of an eye, using just one hand.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Martin but very encouraging to those who persist in using a hand-held phone while driving perhaps? We see them very day - the message hasn't got through yet.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
Thank you Martin but very encouraging to those who persist in using a hand-held phone while driving perhaps? We see them very day - the message hasn't got through yet.

I don't think he's implying you use it while driving. But as you get in the car or leave the car it's dead easy to grab your phone and it doesn't take 2 hands to fit it or remove it...

MaFt
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm sure Martin wasn't suggesting that was an intended feature but I was just saying that the facility may appeal to those who persist in using hand-held while driving.
Anyway, we have been advised not to leave the mount on display because the thieves may assume there is a sat-nav hidden somewhere in car and break in.
I have seen advice to also remove the round patch on windscreen after removing mount.
So, do you guys using the magnetic cradle type mount, grab the phone 'in the blink of an eye' as you are leaving the car and leave the mount on display? I always remove my mount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: