Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rediscovering the joys of TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rediscovering the joys of TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Rediscovering the joys of TomTom Reply with quote

A few days ago I got hold of a secondhand GO700, complete with wireless remote control, sunshade and external aerial.

What a pleasure to go back to stuff that works!

What do I miss compared with my later models (apart from it working, that is!)? Well, a larger screen would be nice and a computer voice would be nice. Traffic would be nice, but on my other devices it's so hit and miss that I don't give it too much attention. But that's all really and trading them for a GO700 is no ache.

I've just done a complete backup (good old copy and paste) of nearly 3GB in a couple of minutes. And downloaded and installed Mapshare updates in a few seconds. Whilst my GO1005 has been trying to do the same for the last three hours and failed several times "There is an error (link to TT CS which is the normal what to do when it has an error, none of which help)".

So at long last, I now have recovered the features I had for our first Europe tour in 2006.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rediscovering the joys of TomTom Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
... downloaded and installed Mapshare updates ...

Shocked Shocked Has an imposter taken over Dennis's username? Shocked Shocked
Samsung Galaxy S21
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rediscovering the joys of TomTom Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
DennisN wrote:
... downloaded and installed Mapshare updates ...

Shocked Shocked Has an imposter taken over Dennis's username? Shocked Shocked
Could be a New Year Resolution. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. or he's having a brainstorm Laughing
Stecha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know exactly what you're saying Dennis Cool enjoy Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't anybody get the idea that I'm advocating MapShare downloads. I am currently running three different maps, v930, v937 and v940. And they all give me the same route. I've been doing similar for a long time now with non-updated TT maps, all with no difference to routing. The only difference I have come across is two devices give a particular road and the third (oldest map) gives a different road for some postcodes. I am not prepared to add the fourth and fifth devices to my windscreen to prove anything!

PS I've just got back from a weekend away and with nothing better to do have set off another GO1005 update, this time it says the small (but useless) (that you can't stop anyway) QuickGPSFix and 7MB of MapShare. Having reached 99% of installation, it is now sitting there just twirling the thingy and has been doing so for half an hour. My main point was it took just a few moments to copy/paste just under 3GB backup of the 'new' GO700 and mere seconds to download and install whatever wonders TomTom had to offer for it - like it says on the tin, "Rediscovering the joys of TomTom". Obviously NOT with the GO1005 or the Renault R-Link TomTom (whose update performance is even worse than GO1005).

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YeeHaaaaah. 45 minutes and they're finished. For those who care, the only reason I do any updates to the GO1005 is to see what speed cameras they offer - I amuse myself seeing what they've got that they shouldn't have and what they don't have that they should have.

By the way, apart from me denigrating MapShare passionately, I'd be interested to hear anybody who can now do Mapshare directly from their TT device - that was a big selling point when it was introduced, but (I think) nowadays you can no longer simply tap a button on the TT where you're at to record a map error location - you have to commit the location to memory then go to your computer and send it off to TT. I wonder how many map corrections they receive via that route these days? Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: