Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 40 Cameras not showing up.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 40 Cameras not showing up.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 40 Cameras not showing up. Reply with quote

A couple of days ago my speed cameras worked fine but now, after playing around with voice and icons I get neither warning nor icon. It's driving me potty - I have read posts, re downloaded etc to no effect. This is what I did last :-

1. Downloaded Garmin Poiloader, UK Consolidated + male WAV voice and gong.

2. Extracted them and using Poiloader + Sox.exe produced a file called Cams.gpi in a Poi folder on my SD

3. I did the same for the POIs calling the file Pois.gpi

4. I booted the Garmin with the SD in place and followed the instructions to load them which it did as the files are now in the Poi folder on the Garmin itself.

5 I then copied the icon files into the same directory.

6. End result no icons, warnings etc on running a 'dry land' route through the same camera areas that showed up 2 days ago.

I can view the non-camera poi's fine.

Any comments appreciated. I don't know what to do next having tried numerous combinations of the above.

Thanks,

EDIT :-
Deleted the Pois.gpi file and now cameras work with voice but new icons do not. I assume the Poi file was somehow to blame? I did 'compress' the categories.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use POILoader ideally you need to upload all your POI's in one operation, even if the already exist on the unit.

To do this create a folder on your PC and call it say /Garmin POI. Under that folder create 2 more sub folders say /PGPSW Cameras and /My POI.
When you run POILoader point it to the top level folder (/Garmin POI) and all POI's be they the cameras or personal POI's should get sucked in and processed in one hit as POILoader processes all CSV and/or GPX files in all sub folders as well.

I've not done it myself as I only have cameras but I did have one instance where I left some CSV's in a sub folder and they got added.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
When you use POILoader ideally you need to upload all your POI's in one operation, even if the already exist on the unit.

To do this create a folder on your PC and call it say /Garmin POI. Under that folder create 2 more sub folders say /PGPSW Cameras and /My POI.
When you run POILoader point it to the top level folder (/Garmin POI) and all POI's be they the cameras or personal POI's should get sucked in and processed in one hit as POILoader processes all CSV and/or GPX files in all sub folders as well.

I've not done it myself as I only have cameras but I did have one instance where I left some CSV's in a sub folder and they got added.

That's the one thing I didn't try because I thought it only applies to more than 32 poi headers. It appears I have considerably more than I thought but it still booted OK.

However, despite deleting the poi.gpi file and removing the SD from the Garmin - THE POIs ARE STILL THERE as I just scrolled through pages of them but where exactly they are I don't know - there is only one GPI file on it and that is the PGPSW camera file which I dealt with separately. It contains no POIs - checked with hexedit.

Where exactly do the icons go?

Thanks for the help.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have performed the single upload by POILoader then I would only expect one .gpi file with it all in, cameras and your personal POI's.

Use POILoader and use the second option to remove all POI's, then perform another using the folder structure above.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
If you have performed the single upload by POILoader then I would only expect one .gpi file with it all in, cameras and your personal POI's.

Use POILoader and use the second option to remove all POI's, then perform another using the folder structure above.

The POI's were not still there only the Garmin ones which I assume are part of the map.

Tried your method and loaded up the bid gpi files. Result - no cameras, no warnings, no new poi.

I am giving up on this. I'll abandon the POI and just have the camera gpi which works although I cannot get the larger bespoke icons to work. Do they simply go into Poiloader along with the cameras because that's what I did?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got me because when I deleted (actually moved them to a Windows folder as I hate deleting anything - just in case) the Garmin Cyclops .gpi files from the unit (POI folder) they disappeared completely.

I now only have my set with icons and warnings.

Here is a sample of what I get. I've deliberately taken the screenshot at the time I get the warning message hence the text at the top.

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 40 Cameras not showing up. Reply with quote

meditek wrote:
4. I booted the Garmin with the SD in place and followed the instructions to load them which it did as the files are now in the Poi folder on the Garmin itself.
Myself, I always say NO when the Garmin asks whether to install/load the data. (I don't want the data in the Garmin memory as well as on the SD card).

All of the camera-type files belong in the same place. That's the cameras themselves, the icons and the voice files. Personally I have all these at the root of the /Garmin POI folder, and that works for me.

My "tourist" POI files go in subfolders within the /Garmin POI folder. I use Folder1 and Folder2 etc, because I found that PoiLoader would quit, without giving a warning, if there were too many files in just one folder. This works for me.

Dales
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
You've got me because when I deleted (actually moved them to a Windows folder as I hate deleting anything - just in case) the Garmin Cyclops .gpi files from the unit (POI folder) they disappeared completely.

It is very rare for things to truly disappear. I should double check your folder options to make sure hidden and system files are off in the folder you copied it to.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 40 Cameras not showing up. Reply with quote

meditek wrote:
This is what I did last :-

//abbreviated//

5 I then copied the icon files into the same directory.

6. End result no icons, warnings etc on running a 'dry land' route through the same camera areas that showed up 2 days ago.

The icon files need to be accessible to POILoader when it is run, so that it can incorporate them into the .GPI file. They aren't accessed by the unit itself.

That might address one of your issues...

§
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded the 'speed zoned camera' version, added the larger icons and wav speech, put then into 4 folders (32 or less each) Poiloadered them and ended up with one 18mb .gpi file which went into the Garmin POI folder. Result - Zilch, no cameras showed again although they worked fine with the much smaller consolidated version.
Should I have nested smaller files?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting following you about between 'your' two threads. Rolling Eyes
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It's interesting following you about between 'your' two threads. Rolling Eyes

Maybe I was too iconoclastic 'Smile' One thread was getting out of hand and possibly topic so I started a new one like a good boy.

However, the larger ones have been sorted (other thread) and now, I do believe, I have the cameras working along with voice and correct icon. However, I must assume Kremmen has a different Garmin to mine because I do not get the ALERT shown in his pic on the other thread.

Time to withdraw,

Thank you fellow gpi sufferers for your help. I fear that to me GPI means General Paralysis of the Insane but looking at Google it would seem it doesn't these days - a victim of PC I suspect. Excuse my geriatric meanderings - they were encouraged by my pre-meal tot.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meditek wrote:
Maybe I was too iconoclastic 'Smile'
Thank goodness for the free dictionary.
Quote:
One thread was getting out of hand and possibly topic so I started a new one like a good boy.
Good boy.
Quote:
However, the larger ones have been sorted (other thread) and now, I do believe, I have the cameras working along with voice and correct icon. However, I must assume Kremmen has a different Garmin to mine because I do not get the ALERT shown in his pic on the other thread.
I expect he'll be along soon to tell you how to do it.
Quote:
they were encouraged by my pre-meal tot.
Or 2.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Nothing special on the warning front. I've had a Garmin 50, 2597 and 2599 and they've all done it.

Problem is, once you've been doing it without issue for so long you forget about the idiosyncrasies (another one to look up) of POILoader and Garmin logic.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M8TJT"]
meditek wrote:
Quote:
they were encouraged by my pre-meal tot.
Or 2.

Commonly known (off topic) as a 'stiffener' much needed in this battle with GPI. 'Wink'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: