Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Map Pilot for the New Mercedes C-Class?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Map Pilot for the New Mercedes C-Class?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Garmin Map Pilot for the New Mercedes C-Class? Reply with quote

I have just taken delivery of a Mercedes C-Class and was excited to hear that they have adopted a Garmin SatNav (rather than a 'Mercedes' own SatNav for example).

They are using the Garmin Map Pilot, loaded from an SD card in the centre console. Great news I thought, now I have the car and the Map Pilot I can download POIs of interest and best of all - safety cameras (to help keep me safe).

I contacted Garmin, who told me that whilst Mercedes are using their app and their name, Garmin has no control over the Map Pilot package - speak to Mercedes. So I contacted Mercedes and asked how I load POIs and safety cameras. Only to be told that speed cameras are Illegal in Germany and that it is not possible to add anything but map updates to this package...

Considering I have an excellent TomTom unit which has speed (safety) cameras for almost all of Europe, this sounds like a typical motor manufacturer add on issue - they use it as a sales hook and then abandon all support for the application and it simply becomes another manufacturer installed waste of money and space.

I spoke to Mercedes support, who obviously had no idea what I was talking about, but took an action to come back to me with a definitive response - I am still waiting...

Has anyone else come across this issue, or, perhaps better still, have any ideas how or if I could add safety cameras to this package (bearing in mind I actually have the application on an SD card) please?

Thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this will help

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=94817
Navstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Garmin Map Pilot for the New Mercedes C-Class? Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I have (I think) followed the guidance but having reloaded the SD card into the car, can see no extra entries under POI and in looking at the maps where I know there IS a speed camera, cannot see anything? So does this mean I did it wrong and it hasn't worked?

Thanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly but I have no detailed knowledge on your system. If it were me I'd run through it again to confirm that it was done correctly.
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the car back and ask for a refund as the features do not match up to the expectation of using a Garmin system. The sales brochure should have explained the limitation of the navigation system.

If it is a leased car negotiate for a reduction in monthly costs as car does not perform to the implied spec.

At the least make MB UKs marketing department life miserable for a few weeks.

If you get the sales brochure changed you will have achieved a minor victory.

Safety camera warnings do not keep you safe they help to keep you legal.
CAA_0927083859
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Perhaps this will help

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=94817

I'm away from the car at the moment, but loading the cameras via the Garmin POI loader does 100% work with this system! (I started the above thread), I have also since updated the PGPS POI's several times since.

I don't think they speed cameras appear in the list of POI's, but they appear on screen and with audible warnings.

Did you load the POI's into the POI folder- what files are in this folder once you have finished?

Let me know how you get on.

Harv
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwog wrote:
If you get the sales brochure changed you will have achieved a minor victory.

Don't fool yourself. If you get the sales brochure changed you will have achieved the biggest victory ever. Remember, the marketing department is NEVER wrong. The only department more right than the marketing department is the bean counters department.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Navstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
I suppose there is no way to mute the speed warnings on the Mercedes C-Class satnav? The fixed camera warnings are great, as they are always there and must be noted. But the speed warnings on some stretches of motorway (and presumably previously reported Ambush vans) can be almost constant...

Great to be warned of them, but it would be even better to be able to mute them after the warning, rather than it Constantly dinging at you for miles... Or am I being ungrateful here?

Thanks
NAVSTAR
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. You got them loaded then. What were you doing wrong?
dylanthebestdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to this and have just updated my garmin to v6 myself as when mercedes serviced my car they claimed I had the latest ,as. ..2014. Don't think so. Anyway if I add speed cameras as explained in this post will it negate any future updates that mercedes do and invalidate the maps I have? I am still entitled to free maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: