Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updates failing.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updates failing.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Updates failing. Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can help.

Garmin 2450LMT previously updated early this year and currently on 2015.10 and I am now trying to update to 2015.30 via my PC.

I have tried with Garmin Map Updater but this gives the only available update as 2015.20 and shows "not eligible for update as previous map is not installed" on both attempts. Strange as, presumably, the previous map is 2015.10 as shown in settings and works fine.

Four attempts with Garmin Express have failed sometime after 35%. Message reads " W/E encountered problems". The last attempt showed two updates available - Western Europe and Europe - but both failed.

Any help to resolve would be appreciated.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could possibly have something to do with the 2 different versions of the EU map. The NT version is now only updated twice a year, so there is no 2015.30 EU NT update.

Having said that I'd expect your nuvi to have the NTU map, in which case the latest is 2015.30. What does your nuvi list when you go to Settings, Map and Vehicle, myMaps? It should say whether you have the NT or NTU version.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
This could possibly have something to do with the 2 different versions of the EU map. The NT version is now only updated twice a year, so there is no 2015.30 EU NT update.

Having said that I'd expect your nuvi to have the NTU map, in which case the latest is 2015.30. What does your nuvi list when you go to Settings, Map and Vehicle, myMaps? It should say whether you have the NT or NTU version.

GE lists Western Europe 2015.30 as an available update when the device is connected . The Nuvi mymaps shows NTU 2015.10 trafficTrends Europe 4.25.

Found a forum reference to Garmin maploader so installed it and got GE! Started updating again which commenced from 55% but failed a little later. Is it loading a bit at a time?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it's showing as a NTU map in myMaps then 2015.30 should work. Express would normally download the map in one go. Sometimes PCs shut off their USB ports when they go into sleep mode so check that's not happening. The other problem can be a firewall or AV program blocking the download.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two more attempts with GE last night. On loading GE a progress bar appeared first time showing 56% and the second time 90%.

This morning I have un-installed and re-installed GE and deleted Garmin cookies. GE showed update 2015.30 available and I started a download but within twenty minutes it had failed showing 2% progress.

I can't use Garmin Map updater as it shows 2015.20 as the only available update but will not commence as "the update is not available as the previous map is not installed" despite 2015.10 being the current version installed and working properly.

Some help needed.....please.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ....

Is it possible you don't have much spare space on the drive where Garmin is installed? That has caused similar issues in the past.

You might also want to check this FAQ http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={fbcb20d0-21b8-11e4-eaba-000000000000}&kbName=garmin

and also clear this folder on your PC that contains this map update (look for the folder with the map number in the title) as that will force Express to do a complete new download, it may simply be stuck on a corrupted file from your earlier attempts C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Core Update Service

Another option is to try installing to a clone device. On a SD card or usb stick create a folder named Garmin and then copy the GarminDevice.xml file from the Garmin folder on your nuvi to the Garmin folder on your card/stick. Express will now believe that card/stick is your nuvi and install the map files to that. If that is successful let me know and I'll explain the next step.

Alternatively if you'd like to try MapUpdater pm me your e mail address and I'll send you the file.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experiences the first stage is that the whole file is downloaded first in one lump (technical term).

It then verifies the file during unpacking and then installs the file to the device.

If the Garmin was short of space and needs a SD card then this usually stops the initial download with a suitable warning.

My gut feeling as that as Sussamb said the PC is going to sleep or is short of HDD space. The Garmin maps are Gb in size.

1) How much space on your C:\ drive
2) Check it for errors using the scannow command
3) Defrag it
4) What is your normal download speed
5) Cat 5/6 ethernet or wireless PC connection
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it! 2015.30 now installed.

Despite the several 'failed download' messages it appears that it continued downloading even though I had disconnected the Nuvi several times.

This afternoon I restarted GE which showed 92% progress but within a minute or two an 'instal' progress bar appeared at the top of the GE screen.

The download completed after 30 minutes or so and the installation then took about 30 minutes more.

MyMaps now shows 2015.30 and a few routes from favourites loaded OK.

Thank you for your help
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
From my experiences the first stage is that the whole file is downloaded first in one lump (technical term).

It then verifies the file during unpacking and then installs the file to the device.

If the Garmin was short of space and needs a SD card then this usually stops the initial download with a suitable warning.

My gut feeling as that as Sussamb said the PC is going to sleep or is short of HDD space. The Garmin maps are Gb in size.

1) How much space on your C:\ drive
2) Check it for errors using the scannow command
3) Defrag it
4) What is your normal download speed
5) Cat 5/6 ethernet or wireless PC connection

Apologies. I missed your post.

I did reset the time out for PC to 'never' yesterday

1. C drive has 251 free of 298GB
2. Not done as not needed now
3. I defrag regularly
4. D/l speed around 3 Mbps
5. Cat 6 ethernet to PC
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what it was then. Maybe your ISP throttling everything back to a crawl or some other problem. Anyways glad it's now sorted. 3Mbps is rather slow so that itself could have been the issue. Garmin say you need 'high speed internet access' although don't define 'high' Twisted Evil

Express (and MapUpdater before it) continues the download where it left off so I suspect that's what it had done and why it was quite quick to finish.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Wonder what it was then. Maybe your ISP throttling everything back to a crawl or some other problem. Anyways glad it's now sorted. 3Mbps is rather slow so that itself could have been the issue. Garmin say you need 'high speed internet access' although don't define 'high' Twisted Evil

Express (and MapUpdater before it) continues the download where it left off so I suspect that's what it had done and why it was quite quick to finish.

Don't think it was ISP as I check my speed virtually every day and it is consistent at around 3Mbps. In fact I was viewing HD video just before using GE today.

It seems you are correct about a download continuing from where it is stopped despite the on screen warning not to do so.

Speed, yes I would like more but I am rural and restricted by the BT line length. BT state 2Mbps maximum but since I changed the incoming main BT socket to an NTE5 and used cat 6 cable directly to my bedroom office I have been getting a steady 3Mbps.

Virgin has the village piped up and I have a terminal box in front of my house but I can't bring myself to switch....yet.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Virgin for years, and now get 20Mbps reliably Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Virgin "up to 100Mb/s". In the upstairs bedroom a couple of feet from the router, my laptop consistently gets 106Mb/s (as does the desktop, both of them wireless 802ac not ethernet) and just now downstairs, laptop did 83Mb/s (old house with solid walls). So go get cable connected. Cool

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good twisting my arm...I have 18months left on a 24 month contract with Plusnet that I rather carelessly accepted as it reduced the BB to £2.99/month.

Normally, 3 Mbps is enough for me as I don't do gaming or iPlayer etc.

I may do future downloads for Garmin at my grand daughter's place as she has BT fibre or at my grandson's new house when it's is connected to fibre in a couple of months time.

Thank you for your help and comments.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: