Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Battery not holding charge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery not holding charge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfer01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Battery not holding charge Reply with quote

We have the TT Caravan and Camping version bought in April 2014 and since day one, the battery has never held its charge. Initially we thought it was normal to plug it into the cigarette lighter every time we used it, but have now found out that it should be portable. Our old TomTom would hold the charge for several weeks.
The other issue we noticed is that it seems to switch itself occasionally when stored away as suddenly you get a voice from the glove box. This has only happened on the odd occasion and could happen if we did not perhaps switch it off properly although the screen indicated it was shutting down?
Has any one else had issue with the battery not holding charge and the unit switching on without help? Thanks.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GO1005, which I believe is the same as the Caravan and Camping one. As a long time TT user, I never ever try to use them as "portable" - my interpretation of that is that they are small and light enough to be carried without the aid of a wheelbarrow! I think the only models which kept a charge for longer than two hours were the original ones, ten or more years ago and certainly we have been advising members here to always plug them in (because even two hours is optimistic). I recently left mine on my desk whilst away abroad on two weeks holiday. It's not plugged in because I haven't got a spare cable and when I got back, the battery was so flat it wouldn't switch on for quite a long time after I plugged it into my ciggy lighter.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Surfer01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I have a GO1005, which I believe is the same as the Caravan and Camping one. As a long time TT user, I never ever try to use them as "portable" - my interpretation of that is that they are small and light enough to be carried without the aid of a wheelbarrow! I think the only models which kept a charge for longer than two hours were the original ones, ten or more years ago and certainly we have been advising members here to always plug them in (because even two hours is optimistic). I recently left mine on my desk whilst away abroad on two weeks holiday. It's not plugged in because I haven't got a spare cable and when I got back, the battery was so flat it wouldn't switch on for quite a long time after I plugged it into my ciggy lighter.

That's the problem. You are about to start a journey and haul out the TT only to find that it will not fire up and you need to wait awhile before you can use it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was only because I left it for a fortnight - I use it almost daily, so I don't have the problem normally.

If you're using yours very infrequently, I suggest you take the cable out of the vehicle and keep the device plugged into your computer to hold the charge. Or if you feel rich, you can buy another cable from TomTom to save taking it out of the vehicle, but it looks like £35 for a complete vehicle screen mount and cable.

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the revered Mike Alder always recommend pressing the reset button to fully shut down the TT and thus save the charge in the battery as opposed to pressing the off button to put it into what was essentially just sleep mode?.

I have no knowledge of these later generations of TT's so the reset button may not exist, but, if it does, may I suggest that you give it a try?.

Alternatively, DennisN's advice to keep it permanently plugged in to a power source so that it ready to go is "bang on".
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote up a method which was somewhat more than than Ali - but it applied to one range, I think the x50. But it really shows what the world has come to nowadays - the 'power' button doesn't do the power any more! I don't know if it would work on the Nav 3 models. I just ignore the wording about battery life, always have - they never produced a model which would keep me in contact for my full working day, so I've always plugged every one into ciggy lighter.

BRABUS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the old ones had a good battery life but I agree the new ones are rubbish. If they are meant to plugged into the cars power at all times then why do the latest devices still offer a walking route? You would plan your route, just get going and it will go flat Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's great new fitness initiative - walk fast enough to get there before battery runs down. Trail a ball of string or drop crumbs behind you to lead you back. Laughing

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
or drop crumbs behind you to lead you back. Laughing
You'll have someone in a flashing HiViz jacket chasing after you to slap a fixed penalty notice to your forehead if you do that. Supreme Angel
BRABUS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
drop crumbs behind you to lead you back.

You will end up being followed by pigeons and ducks. Mind you the latter will just be confirmation that you were quackers enough to get a new model TomTom.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, how about running fast enough to get there and back before it runs down?

Or maybe stay home?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: