Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Tom Tom 6000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tom Tom 6000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stmartins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: New Tom Tom 6000 Reply with quote

Had my old Tom Tom stolen from the car and have invested in a new 6000 series as I was going abroad and needed it.
The UK camera warnings are not a patch on the old system using OV2 and pocket GPS downloads.
Any idea when there will be a download for the 6000 series as the one on the Navigation system is useless
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding, from the review, is that TT have not provided a method for allowing 3rd party POIs to be loaded. I'm sure that once (if?) they provide that method, a download will be made available.
It's the main reason why I haven't bought one!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have mentioned in their forum posts that there is no audio alerts for poi's which would make the PGPSW database no good

i'm hoping they reverse this decision as moved from Garmin (due to faulty unit) and miss the feature of own poi
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems likely that the lack of third party POIs is not having a significant impact on sales. Also the new units are probably fully preocupying Customer Services without adding an additional strain to the system. So I'm not expecting any progress unless there is a software improvement that makes the current situation less problematic.

The Moderators on the TT Forum seemed surprised to hear a week or so back that 2G connectivity is being reduced pending obsolescence. So TT has its hands full.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
BRABUS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What impact will the 2G removal have then, which devices will be affected please?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRABUS wrote:
What impact will the 2G removal have then, which devices will be affected please?

If 2G is removed the traffic coverage will be pants, as Vodafone hardly has any 3G coverage.

I have Vodafone and TomTom Android app, and if I lock my phone to 3G there is no traffic info in rural areas.
BRABUS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome yet they are still selling live services subscriptions Shocked
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
The Moderators on the TT Forum seemed surprised to hear a week or so back that 2G connectivity is being reduced pending obsolescence. So TT has its hands full.

2G will be here for a long while yet as networks are still swapping out old 2G kit for new 2G kit that integrates better with 4G.

4G does not carry analogue voice traffic, and 3G does not have much capacity in urban areas for voice and data, and network operators rely on 2G for the coverage holes.

I can't see 2G being reduced until at least 2020 when 5G will then be rolling out.
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a GO 6000expecting improvements to my ageing GO 940 but was sadly disappointed.
The maps and graphics were much better on the 6000, it's fast at updating the route if you suddenly duck down a side street to miss holdups ahead.

On the downside it can't be used for a hands free phone, you need to use your mobile for live traffic, itinerary planning and storage is quite laborious as the menu screen is not as quick and extensive.

As of yet you cannot transfer P.O.I.s , favourites or itinerary's from other units.

Fortunately I was able to return without any penalty and advise a try before you buy if possible. A 6" GO 940 would suit me nicely, any suggestions?
GavMackem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 5000 owner I can agree with many of the sentiments of the 6000 model which is only a bigger version of mine. Though I still have my old 720 which my partner uses and the PGPSW POI's naturally are all installed. The CamerAlert app is on my iPhone.

The software updates have improved it by leaps and bounds since I bought it, at first the interface was pretty terrible and hard to navigate correctly but the last update seems to have removed a lot of the gripes I had with it, though I still much prefer the old classic UI. Bluetooth is a big miss for contacts sync in particular in my case but I'm thinking there will be a standalone iOS mydrive app released in the UK App Store shortly. I really do not fancy uploading all my custom POI's from this site via the mydrive website when CamerAlert does the job anyway. I use a Plantronics Legend Bluetooth headset in the car as most speaker type hands free's are dreadful in comparison so that part of the phone connection I will not miss.

Free maps and updates aside it's only real ace in the hole is the superb HD traffic via it's built in GSM modem, it has saved me hours and hours and for someone who in parts of London has the knowledge of a black cabbie it's taught me some rat runs I've never knew about. I use this instead of my built in one in my E Class all the time, though down unfamiliar roads particularly outside the M25 the CamerAlert app gets fired up and provides my custom POI and sneaky camera needs ;o)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: