Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3598 Adding own POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3598 Adding own POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 3598 Adding own POI Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm now the proud owner of the Garmin 3598 LTM-D and must says it's brilliant compared to my old TomTom device.

I've downloaded "POIeditor"and installed it onto my PC. Using the software I converted my original TomTom POI "ov2" format for 'McDonald's into Garmins 'csv'.

Using "POI loader" software I transferred the newly created McDonalds "csv" onto my 3598. It shows up under the 3598's "Categories" section as 'Custom POI's" and all "McDonalds" branches show up and each is navigable. However I've now hit a brick wall and need help.

Is there any way I can get my 3598 to alert me when a McDonalds is nearby, either by tone or audio recorded "ogg" or "mp3".

For example, on my old TomTom it was necessary to create these files to achieve this and was ridiculously easy to do.

"McDonalds.bmp" ( a Bitmap image)
"McDonalds.ov2" ( the data file)
"Macdonalds.ogg" ( audio file for announcement)

I realise that no two SatNavs are the same, with each operating on it's own "System," so I don't expect miracles, however if any member can shed light on this I'd be most grateful.

The converted "McDonalds" csv file is here on my personal Box.net account linked below if you wish to inspect or use it. The actual data is a little out of date but it should find you a fast meal if you like that stuff.

https://app.box.com/s/icwbs1fx8geoc5x5y4o5

I also have many "csv" for pubs groups which I would like to use too, but I'm in the dark how to use such on my beautiful Nuvi 3598. Advice on this would be welcomed too.

Cheers to all,

John in the UK

Smile

PS. I've read this Garmin webpage but I'm still not 100 percent sure.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating_custom_poi_files.jsp#understanding
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoying your new toy.

You should be able to install your pub csv files the same way you installed MacDonalds.

Afraid I have no idea about alerts as I've never bothered with them.
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Glad you enjoying your new toy.

You should be able to install your pub csv files the same way you installed MacDonalds.

Afraid I have no idea about alerts as I've never bothered with them.

Hi sussamb,

Cheers, great SatNav for sure.

I do tend to listen to "ALERTS" especially when used with certain POI's. For example, I have compiled a mega database for all the UK's "Fayre & Square" group of pubs. They provide good food at ridiculously low prices. In consequence when I'm out on the road it's really great when my old TomTom screamed out my "ogg" recorded message, "There's a Fayre & Square nearby." It's saved me time by not having to stop and search for one. As you will appreciate an alert is of great use to me.

I do hope there is some way of achieving a similar alert with my "new toy"

Any help from our members is most welcomed.

Cheers,

John
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GeePeeX editor for this. http://geepeeex.com/

You import the file, set a default distance/time and off you go. You need to record a message or bong or whatever.

For example, when touring France, I want to know where interesting villages are. I have set an alert for 1 km and the Garmin announces 'Interesting Village'.

I hope this helps.

Allan
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
I use GeePeeX editor for this. http://geepeeex.com/

You import the file, set a default distance/time and off you go. You need to record a message or bong or whatever.

For example, when touring France, I want to know where interesting villages are. I have set an alert for 1 km and the Garmin announces 'Interesting Village'.

I hope this helps.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Brilliant my friend, I'll give it a whizz. It sounds very much like the TT format I've been used to for years. I know it's hard to believe, but after road travelling constantly over what seems a lifetime, I suffer what is probably known as "driver blindness". The condition where you travel the same routes on "autopilot" without realising you've done them. The previous TT was therefore a necessary aid with its 'wake up calls' when eating places or speed cameras were detected.

It takes some time these days for my single brain cell to adjust to new or unfamiliar software, so don't be surprised if you hear me shouting for help on our forum in the not to distant future.

Many thanks for your info, brilliant forum and members,

John in the UK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: