Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot SD Card Navigation System
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot SD Card Navigation System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same. The zip filename will have no bearing on the final .GPI file.

What nemesis did find was that the text for the warning banner needs to be formatted.

Can't remember exactly but I think it involved all upper case characters and removal of some characters/numbers.

It is here somewhere.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
mrjayg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
mrjayg wrote:
(pgpsw-speed-cams--Zfer-(14-035))
That,s a downloaded PGPSW.zip file name. I assume that you are unzipping it to extract the files into a separate folder before running POILoader?

Yeah, unzip and add it to the SD card in the POI folder, crashes the system sometimes 3-4 times then stays stable, sometimes up to 10 times and then stays stable.

Very odd behavior.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted an update regarding this system in my other thread.
With the help of Kremmens software it's now half usable.
:-)
justajo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis1 wrote:
I have posted an update regarding this system in my other thread.
With the help of Kremmens software it's now half usable.

hi have you had any joy with this? where is your other thread?
many thansk
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for Nemesis1's posts.Shocked
But I agree that it's a bit miffing when peeps refer without a link. Very Happy

It's HERE
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Crying or Very sad

Ok, so we are getting there. But what with the restrictions still in place in the Merc system and the peculiarities that come with a Garmin system anyway, it's still a bit of a mess IMO. It is now though more useable.

Custom POI icons have gone completely, even the non camera ones that I had working 100% for things like landmarks and (In my case) English Heritage sites now do not display at all.

The cameras work much better, icons appear only as you approach the location, and you only get the standard Garmin red one, as used in their own Cyclops add-on. Plus, as with most Garmins, and complicated by restrictions by Merc meaning the normal work arounds don't work, if the system decides you are not in danger of being over the limit you get nothing, no alert, no icon, nothing.
I tested this by creating a location in a car park near me and setting its speed limit to 15 Mph. driving past its location at varying speeds, it does alert if you are going fast enough, and you get the overspend alerts, but driving past at 10 produces absolutely nothing.

Custom sounds don't now, and never have worked in the Merc, you just get a 'Bing-Bong' which is fine.

I am going to do some tests with heavily edited files, I would like to get a warning every time, but not get the repeated over speeds.
I'm thinking to set the speed for every camera to 125, and then set a proximity distance based on the actual speed of the road. Will update when I have done some more testing.
For ease and speed I am initially going the use the all in one database and set everything to the same speed and proximity, if that seems to work I will then edit the 'by type' files. Unfortunately I don't think Kremmens great software can help me here, is going to take a manual edit and conversion. :-/

I'm a bit more hopeful now that this can end up being reliable and usable.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing has shown the following. I've done over 700 miles and tried various things.

I can now get almost a 100% alert rate.
Custom icons, for anything do not display.
Custom .wav files do not play.

You get a stock 'Bing-bong' (Sometimes) and a stock red camera icon with a banner alert.

For reasons probably only known to Merc, the bongs do not always sound, I have tried all sorts but cannot fathom why this is.

You get a banner across the top of the display, and at the alert distance a red camera icon appears on the map, this then disappears as you pass the site.

It still misses some, I dont know exactly why, but, I think it's processing speed, I don't think the system in the Merc is quick enough. I say that because it doesn't overlay the whole map with icons and locations, even the built in POI for petrol stations etc only appear as you approach them. An email I had from Garmin said that Merc had specifically requested that the map display is clear of all 'items' other than the 'map' data and 'items' in the immediate vicinity. I think this system tries to add things 'live' as you drive, and I don't think it's quick enough processor wise to cope.

Another issue is some alerts only appear literally as your right in top of them, no matter how you set any speed or proximity settings. In fact, in my testing the only way to maximise getting the alerts at all is to set every single one to @0 mph, but where in other Garmin systems this creates the default 36 second or .2 mile away alerts, in this it can be anything from half a mile to 1 meter. Any other setting then ignores far to many sites, likely as a result of the quirks already inherent in Garmins systems and further messing around by Merc.

The only way I can think to get a decent alerts distance would be to create duplicates for every site some distance in advance of the real ones. That of course would be completely impractical and confusing.

It's better than it was, you do get more alerts and they are always accompanied by an icon on the map. But it still misses some and the alert distance is unreliable.

I don't want to have multiple displays all over my car, but it's looking like I'm going to have to dig my old TomTom out the loft and get it up and running again. :-/

For anyone wanting to replicate this improved setup my settings are as follows, some of these parameters might not matter, but this is how I have it all set at the minute.

I edit all the POI names to my own wording 'GATSO AHEAD' etc and set all the speeds to 0. I then load via POI loader in express mode with no icons or sound files included.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom from the loft ? TT don't allow third party cameras. Unless you have an old one that does.

Why not get a Garmin with the bonus of digital traffic and continue to use the Converter?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did the TT thing change?
The one I have certainly does, I used it up to about 5 years ago.
You just load the overlay file into the map folder.
I'll be honest mate, I've never had any Garmin stuff until now, and this fuss has put me right off. I started with an HP 1940 PDA and TomTom V1.0 and used them all the way through to a few years ago.

Can a Garmin be guaranteed to populate the map with every icon (and not just on approach), alert at every camera without going mad, and not decide to just randomly ignore any?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin has a wierd AI that does indeed not always produce a warning if it considers you don't need to know. Driving well under the limit and not accelerating seems to do it. It also tends to produce loads of overspeed warnings when you are driving at the prevailing limit.

However, with the Converter I'm 99% that all cameras produce a warning because I change the @ prompt to a #. What is puzzling is that the Garmin Merc implementation seems to override the # prompt which you are presumably loading.

I still use my Honda Alpine unit for navigation but use the Nuvi 2599 for cameras and traffic. Mine works perfectly and 'does what it says on the tin'.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's confusing as hell mate.
The Merc takes an already finicky system and adds more finitickey!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine what they will do to UK mercs after brexit Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Trevor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have set all the speeds to 0mph and get warnings at 0.2 miles but the red banner at the top with the speed camera and distance has Chinese writing in it. Any ideas how to get English. Or would it be easier to learn Chinese?
HarryH321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Chinese? Reply with quote

Hi guy's

Installed the SpeedCamera Database on my MY17 A Class with Garmin Map Pilot - they've taken off the PersonalPOI option but dropping the file in the 'POI' Folder does the job. However....

I'm having the same issue as the above user - my alerts are in Chinese across the top of the Screen?!
joh677
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO,
According this website
http://www.pocketnavigation.de/pois/garmin-map-pilot-mercedes-blitzer/
we have to delete Fonts 006-D0952-01, 006-D0952-02 & 006-D0952-03 to Remove Chinese characters, i will test this evening.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: