Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot SD Card Navigation System
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes Garmin Map Pilot SD Card Navigation System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papersniper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis1 wrote:
Hi Papersniper.

It is easy and safe to use POILoader with your card. Believe me, with the amount of playing about I have been doing, including moving some of the system files on the card around, if it was going to mess it up it would have by now......................If you need anything else, please just ask.

:-)

A few days ago I asked Garmin support about using POI Loader; I received this answer today:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Unfortunately, there is no way for the Garmin Map Pilot to accept custom POI's. Garmin POI loader will not work. This is by design.

With Best Regards,
Robert
Customer Care - Automotive OEM
Garmin International
913-397-8200
800-800-1020
913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Robert 8996314"

I haven't tried it myself, but plan to try POI loader with my Garmin Map Pilot soon. I have house guests now and don't have the time just now.

Just thought I'd update folks on Garmin USA's reply.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear Garmin don't know what they are talking about.
Laughing Out Loud

I can attest it very definitely DOES work and IS possible, this is NOT by design....
Haha.

POILoader is in fact quite a 'dumb' piece of software, it is merely a file converter.

I could rename anything as a .gpx or .csv file and it would go through the motions, of course the output would be completely useless, but it would still perform the function.

It's input location and output location are entirely at your control, so you can have it put the resultant .gpi file wherever you want.

:-)
Papersniper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis1 wrote:
It would appear Garmin don't know what they are talking about.
Laughing Out Loud ...

Wouldn't be the first time! I've found that often we users are much more knowledgeable about their products than they!
Gabinita
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any option to mute the notifications if you don't want to hear them for a particular trip? I find it very annoying while listening to podcasts in the car, because although the podcast pauses eventually I always loose a couple of seconds for each notification...

I had some random trips when I was getting messages just on the display with no audio notification, but I have no idea why or how to replicate this.
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think so, I have been trying to work out how to do this myself.
SoulOfUniverse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis1 wrote:
Don't think so, I have been trying to work out how to do this myself.

Hi Nemesis thanks for posts as I have experienced exactly same issue and thinking that something is restricting in the system itself, so at the end did you actually managed to get icons displayed? I've used MB POI Loader which merges multiple kml or gpx files into one I've placed them under PersonalPOI folder and named PersonalPOIs.gpx however didn't test yet but as you stated, before I had just audio alert and text in red background stating the name of camera and distance, however icons not displayed on the map.
C250
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new user can I publish my experiences? I also have Merc 2015 c class with Garmin. First step was to upgrade to 2014 v2.30. I then downloaded the consolidated camera data base and used the Garmin POI Loader to convert the files onto my laptop and then just copied the .gpi file into the POI folder on my SD card.

Tested it today, warning bong works, bmp of camera comes up on the road and the banner at the top of the screen turns red and displays the camera details. Almost perfect for my needs, only down side is it stores some (not all) of the bmp images down the left of the screen and a dive in and out of map screen is needed to remove them.
C250
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the above post. All is still working fine as long as navigation is not being used.
I have suffered a number of crashes when using navigation, it starts with the screen splitting into two and then lots of vertical lines and finally it all freezes. After a couple of minutes the system reboots automatically twice and all is well again. My son (IT Techi) blamed a corrupt file and so I have downloaded and reinstalled both consolidated and speed zoned data bases but the problem still occurs. Today I think I may have the answer......when a camera 'bong' occurs at the same time as a nav audio instruction then it all falls over. Clash of audio files seems to be the problem. Anyone have the same problem or a solution?
Poacher67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: crashed Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem the system has lots of lines and then re boots I have today removed it from my system and cancelled my subsciption
johncurtis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: System crashed Reply with quote

Exactly the same fault as reported by C250 and Poacher67, even down to it taking two 'automatic reboots' before everything returns to normal....but while the display is going through its flashing sequence and before the reboot, the nav data & guidance is still OK and working in the driver display. The screen can enter it's flashing sequence whether Nav, Radio or Telephone information has been selected, and at one stage during a phone call. Prior to this happening I have had the POI speed cameras working more-or-less OK and it only started playing up after I did a recent SD card update via the MB Download Manager. Just a co-incidence? In any case I do not feel at this stage it is anything to do with the speed camera database. My local MB dealer seems to think it is a display unit problem. Car booked in next week so we shall see!
C250
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: System Crash Reply with quote

Display fault? Odd it works fine without the database installed. Please let us know the outcome from your dealer.
mrjayg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same issue with my system crashing, it did stay up and running once after restarting around 3 times, usually it just continues to crash and restart though so I have removed the camera's from my SD card.

Also on mine, the images for the camera's on the left side of my screen seem to stick around after I have passed the camera and they do not disappear.

Could really do with some help on this.
mrjayg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just given this another go and have had some reasonable success.

I downloaded the DB for Garmin POILoader - UK Speed Zoned Complete - MP3 Female with Chime prefix.

I used the Garmin POILoader and created the gpi file and did not modify the name (pgpsw-speed-cams--Zfer-(14-035)) and I've not had a crash while driving it today. Still need to give it a bigger driving test but so far so good.

The icons on the left hand side still stick while way past the camera, exit out and back in to the sat nav gets rid of those, slightly annoying.

Will update after a good run out and test.
mrjayg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I spoke too soon, sat-nav is still crashing and it doesn't matter if it is in navigation mode or just plain showing location.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrjayg wrote:
(pgpsw-speed-cams--Zfer-(14-035))
That,s a downloaded PGPSW.zip file name. I assume that you are unzipping it to extract the files into a separate folder before running POILoader?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: