Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GPS That Supports Garmin Connect And “Live Tracking”
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPS That Supports Garmin Connect And “Live Tracking”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astrongtower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPS That Supports Garmin Connect And “Live Tracking” Reply with quote

I am going to start hiking a lot and camping and I am looking for the best all around GPS device. I have a lot of Garmin Devices and use Garmin Connect already so a compatible GPS unit would be great because I could see all my activity on one site “Garmin Connect”.

I am looking heavily at the Monterra but I am unsure if it supports Garmin Connect and Live Tracking.

The only official documentation I could find that support live tracking:

Edge 810
Edge 510

And Possibly:

GPSMAP 64s
GPSMAP 64st

I am not sure if the Monterra could support Live Tracking as well simply via Garmin Connect Mobile App.

What I am unsure is. Are the live tracking via through Garmin’s Satellites or is it linked through your phone?

I believe the Edge 810 or 510 all you have to do is run or rid with that device alone and it tracks you live.

Will the Monterra do this as well?

Here is what I want.

I would love to go camping or hiking. Use a GPS Device and set up tracking and friends or family can check on me at any time. If they see I haven’t moved in a while they could come check me out or call for help.

I know I could get a PLB and I might just do that but I would like an all-around GPS Device especially if I am going to pay over 500 Dollars.

I know Edge 810 has live tracking and Garmin Connect capability. I wonder if I could just use that for hiking and camping as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt this is the correct forum for this sort if query. You might get better response in Garmin's own forums at https://forums.Garmin.com/
Astrongtower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I doubt this is the correct forum for this sort if query. You might get better response in Garmin's own forums at https://forums.Garmin.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dasilvarsa View Post
For Live tracking you need Cell Service. (Send / Receive Capabilities)
Sat Nav is RO (Receive Only) Device.

Yes I think I just figured that out. I was reading more no the Edge and how they do it and you do link it up to your cell phone. So I guess the safest thing you can do is carry a PLB.

Monterra is probably what I am going to get.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: