Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Relacement candidates for a Nuvi 775t
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Relacement candidates for a Nuvi 775t

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Relacement candidates for a Nuvi 775t Reply with quote

My Nuvi 775T has done sterling service since new and has been regularly updated however the screen is getting more difficult to read so I am looking for a replacement.

I am happy to have a European only map product with Lifetime maps as I reckon that I can use the 775t in the US for the yearly visits there.

I am "happy" with the Garmin system - ie I know it and have some understanding of it's funny ways

So I am looking for a clearer brighter screen, possibly a larger screen, as for new features they are welcome as long as they have not replaced useful simple functions.

Price is not an objective as I am asking for candidate machines to have a look at.

If the European model is successful I may well buy the US equivalent when next in the US.

Thanks for your comments
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be more specific. What really useful functions are important to you? I guess what we really need are your 'must haves' and your 'nice to haves'?
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a clear image on the screen, preferably one without the coarse screen that the 775t has, clear text, free from reflections or able to be set up so that reflections are from specific directions whereas the 775 picks up light from any bright surface regardless of position.

Plus all the features of the 775 -
as well as
good navigation
fast navigation
turn info ahead of the turn,
ability to handle rapidly occurring turns

sensible battery life
good amount of storage so all the maps of a continent can be held plus allowance for growth in the various views etc.

Not much really - he says
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the modern Garmins will do what you want I suspect, although I don't know of any that are 'free from reflections'. I have mine installed lower right and generally it's not an issue though.

Storage for map updates is a moot point. Maps and the associated gubbins, voice files, junction views etc are getting bigger all the time. At some stage you'll probably need a sd card although you can take various steps to prevent this. My old 1490 still doesn't need a card, but then instead of installing the full EU map I only install Western Europe as I don't travel to Eastern Europe.

You can get an idea of what's available here http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/gps/?post_type=product&product_category=garmin

Having now used a 2508 with digital traffic for over a year now I certainly wouldn't get one without if traffic is something you want. Digital traffic is way superior to the older style 'FM based' traffic that Garmin still provide on some units.
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments - now viewing the web sites.

Only remaining query is whether the larger devices will be supported on the air vent bracket without too much vibration or falling off the vent.

I much prefer the location to be below the base of the windscreen so I prefer the vent location.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: